Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new Parker  (Read 2603 times)

Offline DavidRavenMoon

• SGD Lutherie
My new Parker
« on: June 14, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here. :)

I always wanted a Parker Fly, and I also really liked the PM60. Last week the guitarist in my band (I'm also a bassist) saw a nice teal P-38 at Guitar Center for under $300, and bought it. Then he saw a Fender Roland ready Strat he wanted more, so I bought the Parker from him! It's not a Fly, but it's still a very cool guitar. AND it's mine. It's one of the Korean made P-38s.

It has a nasty chip on the upper edge of the body, but otherwise looks new. I notice that bumping the vibrato arm while using the piezos sounds like a drum. I'm assuming that using some foam to darn the springs should fix that. I haven't tried it yet. But it's a great guitar and I love the neck!

My next step is to replace the pickups. I don't use single coils because I hate hum. The humbucker is a bit dull and lifeless. Cranking the highs on the amp a bit makes the single coils too bright! Fortunately I'm a pickup maker so I'm going to make a new set (two single coil size dual blade pickups and a dual rail humbucker). Then at some point I'll replace the tuners with locking tuners, and I'm thinking about adding the Ghost Hexpander system and a 13-pin jack.

As an aside, this was one of guitars that Ken designed, which I like. Back in the mid 90s I got to meet Ken at a guitar building symposium. He was a real nice guy and we talked for over an hour. He gave me lots of encouragement and tips.

Re: My new Parker

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:51:39 PM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum DavidRavenMoon! Don't know much about P-38's but I like the color of yours. Really cool that you got to meet Ken Parker. Congrats!   8)
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
Great looking guitar. Congrats.
FWIW. My fly trem makes the same noise when using the piezo.
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline vito912

• Black Bear Music Art Works
    • Black Bear Music Art Works
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
Wow! It looks new and beautiful! Cograts!
* '01 Parker Fly Classic
* '97 Parker NiteFly NFV1
* '97 Parker NiteFly NFV2
* '02 Parker NiteFly-SA
* '02 Parker NiteFly-M
* '01 Parker P-38

Offline DavidRavenMoon

• SGD Lutherie
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum DavidRavenMoon! Don't know much about P-38's but I like the color of yours. Really cool that you got to meet Ken Parker. Congrats!   8)

Thanks! It's a nice guitar. Obviously the Fly shape, but without the contours. It has a bolt on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and a swamp ash body. No composite materials. The bridge is a Fishman Power Bridge, with the PowerChip preamp. It doesn't have locking tuners, but the generic tuners have shafts that look like Sperzels. The output jack is stereo, so with a stereo insert cable you get the magnetic and piezo pickups in each channel, ad with a regular mono cable they are combined.

This is my first experience with a Parker, so I don't know if the Flys work the same way. I didn't like these bolt on models when they came out, but I fell in love with this guitar when I saw it.  One of these days I'll own a real Fly.

Here it is with new pickups. :)

Offline Twanking45

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
Wow, that's cool. How's the action on it?

Don't give up the search for a fly. It's quite a different guitar. If you had the p-38 AND the fly you'd have a pretty far-reaching parker arsenal. Do you work for a pickup company or just build your own for fun?
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)