Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2-knob PM20 explanation  (Read 896 times)

Offline fepen

2-knob PM20 explanation
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
I don't seem to get any change in tone no matter how I set this older PM20's knobs.  They both seem to operate as volume control knobs.  Greatly appreciate anyone helping me understand what to do with these knobs.

Re: 2-knob PM20 explanation

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
Re: 2-knob PM20 explanation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
You didn't mention if you recently got this guitar. If so, perhaps the previous owner has rewired it.

The Vol pot should be the first one, the second one is Tone. In addition, both are push-pull switching which operate as coil cuts, the Vol for the neck, the Tone for the bridge.

If you're not getting that functionality, my guess is that it has been modified in an attempt to have independent volumes (at the expense of a tone control it sounds like).

Two years ago I changed the pickups in mine for a set of GFS Fat Pats. GFS recommended using Seymour Duncan wiring codes. That was all good except the Parker Stingers were differently coded and that confused hell out of me for the longest time. In essence you swap the green/white on the stingers for the red/white on the diagram.

I used this diagram:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w_2pp\

Have a look at it and compare it to yours. That should give you some idea of what's going on. Perhaps some re-wiring is needed.
Good luck.
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict