Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to the "Parker world" & question about my PM-20  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Goyoes

New to the "Parker world" & question about my PM-20
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »
Hi all.
I found a -NEW- Parker PM-20 for 319€ at a guitar shop clearance sale and I couldn't resist to buy it... I'm amazed with it's build quality.
It's a gold top and it's serial number is 09061468, so it was made in 2009.
The fretboard looks like ebony with very little veneer, but I found some Parker brochures where the pm-20 specifications say that the fretboard is phenolic.
¿Could someone confirm if 2009 pm-20s have ebony or phenolic resin fretboard?.
Thanks in advance and greetings from Spain.

Re: New to the "Parker world" & question about my PM-20

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
Hi there, and welcome.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on with your guitar. Consider some things...

1) Parker's serial numbering systems have been annoyingly inconsistent, so there's no guarantee that the 8-digit serial number you see is supposed to mean the guitar was made in 2009.

2) Individual serial numbering mistakes can be made at the factory.

3) Browsing through old catalogs, I see this info for the PM-20 fretboard:

2006 - ebony
2007 - ebony
2008 - ebony
2009 - phenolic

Should we assume the PM-20 really changed from ebony to phenolic in 2009, or was that a mistake? The fact that the guitar is called 'PM-20' in one part of the catalogs but 'PM20' in another part suggests that somebody was not exactly meticulous in putting everything together.

If your own guitar looks like ebony, it's most likely ebony regardless of the serial number or the published specs.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Goyoes

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I wanted to be absolutely sure to avoid damaging the fretboard with lemon oil or other products in case it was phenolic resin. The fretboard looks really dry (the guitar has been stored for years) and I wanted to give it the best cares.  ;)

I've taken some close-up photos:

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
I think I see wood grain in the photos, but you'll have to decide that.

BTW, clicking to see the zoomed versions of your images opens a pop-up window that tries to trick me into additional clicking. It seems to be an attempt at malware installation. I don't like that, so I won't be looking at those pages again.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Goyoes

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

If you click in the zoomed image, you can display it full size.

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
Hi Goyoes,
My 2005 has an ebony fretboard, but I understand that later versions came with phenolic. In any event, do n ot be concerned about damaging anything with lemon oil.

If it is phenolic (plastic) it will just smear and make an oily mess. If it is actually ebony it will absorb whatever it needs and the rest can be wiped off. Ebony is very tight grained so it won't need much in any event.
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict

Offline Goyoes

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
I've made a test with lemon oil: I applied a little last night and today in the morning It seemed that the fretboard didn't absorbe any of it. The surface was a little oily as when I applied it, so I think it's phenolic. Also, the surface looks more like a brushed black material, not like the usual wood veneer.
Thank you again for the responses.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:34:40 AM by Goyoes »

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
Good for you to know.
So all you need to do is gently clean it with a very mild soap solution when you change the strings.

An old soft bristle toothbrush is perfect. It will remove the sweat and dirt from the frets nicely. Then of course quickly and thoroughly dry everything with cotton cloth.
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict