Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Michael Hedges to Kevin Shields  (Read 1091 times)

Offline SynapticGroove

Michael Hedges to Kevin Shields
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »
Beginning life as an acoustic drummer in small town Oklahoma, it was difficult in the pre-internet days to find new musical vistas.  Thankfully, the small town that I'm from happens to be the same small town that Michael Hedges is from and I did get one rare opportunity to see him live during my formative years.  Needless to say, it was a mind-altering experience and it still blows my mind that the town he is from doesn't 'pride' itself on that fact.....posthumously, he received a street name (a half a block).  Windham Hill just didn't fit the mold for the ultra-conservative agrarian mindset that was (and still is) prevalent there.  Hedges was a league of his own and I'm grateful that I ran across his catalog at a very young age.

Flash forward a few years when I've moved a bit more into synth programming/guitar/bass and I stumble across a little album from the early 90's titled, Loveless.  I really couldn't believe what I was hearing....it sounded like a jet engine revving for takeoff!!  It took just a little bit of time to properly enjoy what Kevin Shields & Co. were up to, but enjoy it I did and my fascination with 60's era Jaguar's and Jazzmaster's is due in large part to this one little album where the tremolo arm became an extension of someone's voice.  Incredible stuff!!

Re: Michael Hedges to Kevin Shields

Offline jb63

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »
I love that album!

I still find it odd that the work and styles that hedges pioneered haven't made it into the voice of modern guitar even at this late date. There was a brief "don't want to be a Michael hedges clone" period, where people steered clear of all the acoustic tapping, but by now it seems like that should be part of the whole of guitar technique.

Offline SynapticGroove

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  In all honesty, he was just way ahead of his time and it's really difficult to reconcile that with the present....even if the present is 17 years later!