Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: washburn  (Read 8502 times)

Offline dendencKy

washburn
« on: January 17, 2006, 01:59:57 PM »
what say you about washburn? i found washburn makes parker stinks! i love parker while parker iss a very different guitar to another guitars! i love the old parkers but the new. the new looking to normal under the head iss a horn and the finishes looking horrorble! the old p-44 was very very cooler than the new! please parker make a classic series parker edition!!

rock overall!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 02:46:22 AM by dendencKy »
happy p-38 owner,
hughes&kettner edition blue 60r amp,
morley pro series 2 wah,
and other boss pedals

washburn

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »
I have a Washburn HB15 hollow body electric.  I like it very much.  It is what it is, don't mistake it for what it isn't.  I purchased a blem, site unseen, off of ebay.  I don't regret it one iota.  Its a good entry level jazz guitar.  Out of the box it was just fine.  I'm sure that once I have it properly set up with upgraded electronics it will become a very very good guitar.  Great value.  Not perfect, but it doesn't suck either.

quote:
i found washburn makes parker stinks!
You are quite misinformed.  That is flat out wrong.  Parker makes Parker.  Many of the indivduals that make Parker Flys here in the US are the same people who made them in Massachusetts.  

Its not what you play on, its what you play on it.

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

washburn

Offline loumt123

washburn
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 06:21:16 PM »
i love parker though i cant help but think they have some washburn techs working on them. ive seen factory pictures of washburns and parkers in the same factory being built side by side...this may be linked to the horror stories of the single cut fly mojo

washburn

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
washburn
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 07:36:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

"i cant help but think they have some washburn techs working on them. ive seen factory pictures of washburns and parkers in the same factory being built side by side"

Good grief guys these are guitars we are talking about. Its not like the cheff is making your sandwich on the table while his wife is changing thier baby bottom right beside him! Just because my guitar tech works on some pieces of crap guitars for some customers dosent mean that mine will come back a Squire strat if I send it to him for custom work or wiring repairs.
Washburn is not a disease, it is a company that has specific tolerances and specifications for thier guitars that thier employees are told to follow. Like wise if those same employees are told to follow a different set of tolerances and specifications for Parker guitar company they will, because that is what they are paid to do. I have seen some absolute butch repair jobs come out of repair shops with a great reputation.

Look at the Cort factory as an egsample. I bet more than half the guitars in the modern world come out of that factory. Some are totaly trash guitars some are "super great awesome"! No body complains about that factory they take each guitar as its own guitar. It would not suprise me if thats what factory the P series Parkers are made in. I would not call A p series parker an ESP LTD though nor would I call it an Ibanez or a Cort or Samik or anything else that is made on the next bench over.  

This is the same as mercades and dodge/chrysler. If you buy a SL-coupe it is made by the same company that makes the Dodge colt but they are hardly the same car. It could even be the same mechanic that does your warentee service when you take it to the dealer for an anual tune up.

So realy it is not the technician or the factory where it is made that define the instrument but the manufacturers design, materials, and specifications and the tolerances it allows that define the quality and features. If parker's were made in the same factoy as potato chips or Peavy guitars it wouldn't make them potato chips or Peavy's unless Parker guitars mandate suddenly was to make a low cholesterol, salt and vinigar flavourd, edible guitar no one wants to play. [:D]

I just don't see the big deal about where it is made as an issue over how it is made.

Only through death may one truly live!
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 07:42:50 PM by Ocker »
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

washburn

Offline loumt123

washburn
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:54:08 PM »
I've looked at it as the people who worked on parkers before the switchover were incredibly familiar with parker and just parker and now its like are they using washburn components on parkers now whats going on i still want to know who in their right mind would mix up pot sizes...thats like trying to put a cd in a cassette player its just not going to fit...seriously not to bash but these guys are paid to set up guitars properly and being told to stick a credit card under the pot of a enw guitar to make it work right isnt my idea of proffessional...i dont think this would have happened before the switchover...but its just my opinion

washburn

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
washburn
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ocker

quote:

"i cant help but think they have some washburn techs working on them. ive seen factory pictures of washburns and parkers in the same factory being built side by side"

Good grief guys these are guitars we are talking about. Its not like the cheff is making your sandwich on the table while his wife is changing thier baby bottom right beside him! Just because my guitar tech works on some pieces of crap guitars for some customers dosent mean that mine will come back a Squire strat if I send it to him for custom work or wiring repairs.
Washburn is not a disease, it is a company that has specific tolerances and specifications for thier guitars that thier employees are told to follow. Like wise if those same employees are told to follow a different set of tolerances and specifications for Parker guitar company they will, because that is what they are paid to do. I have seen some absolute butch repair jobs come out of repair shops with a great reputation.

Look at the Cort factory as an egsample. I bet more than half the guitars in the modern world come out of that factory. Some are totaly trash guitars some are "super great awesome"! No body complains about that factory they take each guitar as its own guitar. It would not suprise me if thats what factory the P series Parkers are made in. I would not call A p series parker an ESP LTD though nor would I call it an Ibanez or a Cort or Samik or anything else that is made on the next bench over.  

This is the same as mercades and dodge/chrysler. If you buy a SL-coupe it is made by the same company that makes the Dodge colt but they are hardly the same car. It could even be the same mechanic that does your warentee service when you take it to the dealer for an anual tune up.

So realy it is not the technician or the factory where it is made that define the instrument but the manufacturers design, materials, and specifications and the tolerances it allows that define the quality and features. If parker's were made in the same factoy as potato chips or Peavy guitars it wouldn't make them potato chips or Peavy's unless Parker guitars mandate suddenly was to make a low cholesterol, salt and vinigar flavourd, edible guitar no one wants to play. [:D]

I just don't see the big deal about where it is made as an issue over how it is made.

2005 Mojo Flame BCH
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

You are ABSOLUTELY my new hero!!! Your analogies are super funny and clever. Thank you for saying so much of what I couldn't. This "debate" seems to be a hot topic at the moment. It's completely rediculous on all fronts. Washburn's are Washburn's AND Parker's are Parker's. End of story.

www.USCustomShop.com "coming soon"
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

washburn

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
washburn
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 12:36:00 AM »
well, if i may chime in:

1) who makes the guitar can determine the quality and who owns the company can determine who makes the guitar.

2) who owns the company can determine the new designs.

3) not everyone will like new designs no matter what they are.

and most of all-

4) the guitars speak for themselves.

it is my opinion that parker guitars are very fine.  i hear about a 'dud' every once in a while, but i have not seen a dud in person.  i've played a dozen flys (deluxe/classic/mojo) since the change over (and some that may have been either before or after) and i thought they were all fine guitars.

i also think that washburn makes some very good guitars.  i play washburns because they make seven strings.

that being said, my next guitar is going to be an eight-string fanned-fret two-and-a-half-octave-fretboard composite material/wood hybrid with 13-pin synth.  (no joke)  i'll probably have it in about a year.  if parker decides to make a seven string for 2007, i'll still be happy as a lark!  [:)]

washburn

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
washburn
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:47:24 AM »
that being said, my next guitar is going to be an eight-string fanned-fret two-and-a-half-octave-fretboard composite material/wood hybrid with 13-pin synth.  (no joke)  i'll probably have it in about a year.  if parker decides to make a seven string for 2007, i'll still be happy as a lark!  [:)]

HOLY HELL MAN! Who's building this beast? I must know... WOW! [:p]

EDIT: Which 7-String Washburn do you have? They really don't make that many 7's. Can you believe that 123 has the stinkin' WG587 down to $199!!! That's crazy. It's a closeout. Solid Alder body, Maple neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Hardtail Bridge, 2 Humbuckers, 24 frets & Grover 18:1 tuners. Your choice in BLK, Metallic Red or Metallic Grey. I have some WB's in stock with the Met Grey. Believe me, it's hot! Read the reviews on the site. What is 123 thinking?!?

www.USCustomShop.com "coming soon"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 01:10:54 AM by ChicagoKid »
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

washburn

Offline JSanta

washburn
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »
Yeah Bostjan, are you having either Novak or Conklin make that beast?  I was actually looking at Charlie Hunter's guitars, wishing I had the ability to play one of them.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

washburn

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:57:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoKid

quote:
Originally posted by Ocker

quote:

Good grief guys these are guitars we are talking about. Its not like the cheff is making your sandwich on the table while his wife is changing thier baby bottom right beside him!
You are ABSOLUTELY my new hero!!!
+1  LMAO.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

washburn

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
washburn
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 10:04:14 AM »
Same factory - different crews working on building them.

John

washburn

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
washburn
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 04:41:09 PM »
i have the wg587v in metallic red.  i also got mine cheap from a friend.  i think it's a great guitar for the money.

i won't say too much about the guitar until after i get it.

washburn

Offline dendencKy

washburn
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 02:28:02 PM »
no you dont understand it. i wouldnt say bad things about washburn but i think parker guitars was better before washburn!(especially the p series) i think parker guitars are the best guitars in the world. washburn are even great. but this iss like pizza with apple( for example(a bad example)).[:)]

rock overall!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:28:48 PM by dendencKy »
happy p-38 owner,
morley pro series 2 wah,
and other boss pedals

washburn

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 05:39:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by dendencKy

no you dont understand it. i wouldnt say bad things about washburn but i think parker guitars was better before washburn!(especially the p series) i think parker guitars are the best guitars in the world. washburn are even great. but this iss like pizza with apple( for example(a bad example)).[:)]

The US Music acquisition (a.k.a., Washburn for our purposes) was before the P series started.  So, Washburn/USMusic and the P series go together.  If you like/own a P series, that is a post USM guitar.  Actually, it was probably due to the Washburn influence and presence in Asia that the P Series started in the first place.  There are two issues here: 1) has the quality of the Fly changed over the years (I don't know because I don't have a new one, but is seriously doubt it), 2) are the non-Fly guitars any good (don't know don't own one, I have played a PM and I liked it)?

My honest opinion here is that the Washburn/US Music influence has been positive.  Yes, there are surely growing pains, but growing pains are much better than dying pains.  Now, if I was truly selfish, I would wish Parker had gone out of business about 8 or 9 years ago so my guitar would be worth a lot of money as a sought after collector's item.

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

washburn

Offline dendencKy

washburn
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 02:45:37 AM »
what?! before the p-series? i thought the p-38,p-40 and p-44(the old) was before washburn. but when i´m wrong then sorry. Its really hard to get information about parker from germany.

rock overall!
happy p-38 owner,
morley pro series 2 wah,
and other boss pedals