Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: washburn  (Read 8507 times)

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by dendencKy

what?! before the p-series? i thought the p-38,p-40 and p-44(the old) was before washburn. but when i´m wrong then sorry. Its really hard to get information about parker from germany.
You know what?  I'm wrong, you're right.  My apologies.  USMusic acquired Parker in April of '04.  The first P38 & P40 series guitars were announced on Harmony-Central in September of '02. The P44, PM10 and PM20 were released after the acquisition, but were probably in the works well before the USMusic purchase.  One interesting point to note on this is that Ken Parker appears to have been running the company when the P series products were in development.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

washburn

Offline loumt123

washburn
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
yea i liked the first p series guitars too. and my nitefly is before the switch-over also.

washburn

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
washburn
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 04:38:26 AM »
Uhhhh.  Whoever said Ken Parker ran the company???

Think about it long and hard.

J

washburn

Offline cmpkllyrslf97

washburn
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 07:52:49 AM »
yea if ken ran the company we wouldnt have problems with the singlecut [:)].

bustttt dont hate me for that [xx(]

washburn

Offline dendencKy

washburn
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 08:02:32 AM »
lol yeah the singelcuts... but everybody makes mistakes [:)] dont hate me for that too!

rock overall!
happy p-38 owner,
hughes&kettner edition blue 60r amp,
morley pro series 2 wah,
and other boss pedals

washburn

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 09:41:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

Uhhhh.  Whoever said Ken Parker ran the company???

Think about it long and hard.

J

Uh, my bad, I guess.  But cut us some slack here.  In the Harmony-Central press release there is a quote from Ken, so I assumed he was speaking as the owner of the company.  He must have run the company at some point.  He figures prominently as a figurehead and visionary.  The P series did come into existence prior to the USMusic acquisition.  Maybe Ken had nothing to do with anything other than the Fly. i.e., there's Ken Parker's guitar and then there are Parker guitars.  Parker guitars are good guitars.  Ken's guitar is of another class altogether.

[I wrote and edited, then deleted a longer post.  I read it and said to myself "why bother?"  Its no secret that I'm one of the true belivers and staunch defenders.]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:22:27 AM by bno »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

washburn

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
washburn
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
The PM-10, PM-20, and the Singlecut were already in development befor the US Music purchase.  I was at the factory in IL one week after Parker moved there, and they already had prototypes and product finished for testing.  And those that love these guitars should thank John Page for it as it was his idea!

Guys:  think about what John just posted concerning Ken.  Parker is a name.  Who ever said that Ken ran the company?  Harmony Central's a great site, but do they always have to be right or report with 100% accuracy?  What you typically hear and read are lines like "Ken's vision".  Hmmm...something to ponder.

Also think about how many Parkers were sold prior to US Music or even how many Parkers were in stores just a few years ago.  Ever wonder why you saw them in a store years ago, then all of a sudden didn't, and now see them starting to appear again?  Without US Music, we would not be on this forum.  There would not be a Parker site.  There would not be new Parker models.  There would be no Parker.

'Nuff said...right, John?

Jason Davis
guitarist/songwriter/producer
www.JasonDavisMusic.com

Jason Davis is a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Mojo Strings, and BMG Music Publishing Artist.  Join Jason's MySpace community at myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:37:37 AM by Jason Davis »

washburn

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
washburn
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 10:05:23 AM »
so when did ken sell the name then?  he was on the cover of the 2002 catalogue so us mortals out of the loop would assume he was still there, running the company that had his name.

i am glad a large, well-connected company kept Flys on  music shop walls. (and sent one to me!)

I was also quite pleased to hear that Lamborghini were able to make the Murcielago and Gallardo into the ear-splitting, panty-elastic snapping tarmac shredders that they are.  Thanks Audi.

And thanks to a Korean company like Proton for buying out Lotus Sportcars and keeping alive the world's best-handling mall sportscar (yay, british engineers!!) the Lotus Elise (if you don't agree, drive one)

does large company ownership affect these cars?  not one bit, because they are still made by the same people, in the same factories!.  give peace (and flys) a chance!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

washburn

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
washburn
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 10:06:52 AM »
sorry that should have read:  SMALL sportscar, not MALL sportscar.  visions of the Blues Brothers spring to mind......!!!!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

washburn

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
washburn
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 11:54:08 AM »
I always thought of Washburn as low-end...However, with the acquisition of Eden, Randall, and now Parker I do not think that can be said anymore.  Parker's Production Manager is running Washburn USA so the quality of that line has really improved.  It's taken me a year to realize it, but it is really good stuff - the guy that was building Baker Guitars is now doing Washburn - think about it.

It'll take some time to get the word out, but US Music is on the verge of exploding as a company.  Listen:  Parker, Eden, Randall, Washburn..

John

washburn

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
Thanks Jason, that was very enlightening.  I tried to find the quote and it was not from the Harmony-Central press release.  It was not unreasonable for me to believe that Mr. Parker, as Founder, had a hand in the business prior to the acquisition.  I find it intriguing that "Ken appears to have been running the business" generated such high pitched responses.  I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere from him about the acquisition.  

Anyway, I have pondered and thought.  And Googled.  What is implied is that he was the visionary artist and a lousy businesman.  Not uncommon.  The current success is due to the business acumen of those that surrounded him and/or took over when the company wasn't doing so well.  This whole thread piqued my curiosity so I Googled Drew Hannah - interesting indeed.  

Its also interesting that no one talks about Ken in the present tense - other than the "Where's Waldo?" inquiry.  After 30 years of designing and building stringed musical instruments he's not building any more?  I find that odd.

One thing I picked up from rereading press releases is that Washburn has picked up some production practices from Parker.  Now that makes sense.

The only valid opinion I can have about Parker Guitars is that MY Parker Guitar is awsome.  The only valid opinion I have about Washburn guitars is that MY Wasburn is a good inexpensive guitar.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

washburn

Offline bno

washburn
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 12:51:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP
It'll take some time to get the word out, but US Music is on the verge of exploding as a company.  Listen:  Parker, Eden, Randall, Washburn
But isn't US Music a privately held company? [:(]
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.