Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker 7 String Design Flaws  (Read 3604 times)

Offline stealthtastic

Parker 7 String Design Flaws
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Why can't the parker 7 string take a gauge thicker than a ~60/62 and why can't it intonate past Ab?

I personally only play in B standard and drop A but those two design flaws have kept a lot of people from buying an amazing guitar. 

Re: Parker 7 String Design Flaws

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:18:28 PM »
The string gauge issue lies with the Sperzel tuners. Infact, I think most report that the thickest that will fit in a Sperzel is around .058.

The intonation issue lies with the 25.5" scale (and partly the bridge). IMO, a 25.5" scale on a 7 string is a little silly. I have a 97 Ibanez S540LTD, that I tune to BEADGb, and the 25.5" scale leaves a bit to be desired in the intonation department. It works, but just. Lower tunings are out.

I guess USMusic didn't feel like fully redesigning the fly into a 7 string, and instead opting just to toss a low B on while making things a little wider. I suppose we (as in, anyone who's been asking for a Fly 7 for decades) should be happy they tried at all. But it would be darn nice to see a 27" scale with a bridge redesign to allow pulling the lower saddles back a bit further.

I suppose if you were to ream out the sperzel (and possibly the bridge) to fit a larger string, it would be more taught for the lower notes, and may intonate fine. But really for anyhting below B (or maybe A), you're in Baritone territory, and should be using the scale lentgth to match (27")

Lets see if we can convince USMusic that a 7 (or 8!) string Fly, with a 27" scale, and fanned frets will be profitable. Haha.

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Lets see if we can convince USMusic that a 7 (or 8!) string Fly, with a 27" scale, and fanned frets will be profitable. Haha.
While we're at it, why don't we see if we can resurrect J. R. R. Tolkien and get him to lay a WW1 smackdown on Peter Jackson and make him reshoot The Hobbit? ;-)
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline stealthtastic

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
The string gauge issue lies with the Sperzel tuners. Infact, I think most report that the thickest that will fit in a Sperzel is around .058.

The intonation issue lies with the 25.5" scale (and partly the bridge). IMO, a 25.5" scale on a 7 string is a little silly. I have a 97 Ibanez S540LTD, that I tune to BEADGb, and the 25.5" scale leaves a bit to be desired in the intonation department. It works, but just. Lower tunings are out.

I guess USMusic didn't feel like fully redesigning the fly into a 7 string, and instead opting just to toss a low B on while making things a little wider. I suppose we (as in, anyone who's been asking for a Fly 7 for decades) should be happy they tried at all. But it would be darn nice to see a 27" scale with a bridge redesign to allow pulling the lower saddles back a bit further.

I suppose if you were to ream out the sperzel (and possibly the bridge) to fit a larger string, it would be more taught for the lower notes, and may intonate fine. But really for anyhting below B (or maybe A), you're in Baritone territory, and should be using the scale lentgth to match (27")

You're mistaken, the guitar ALSO can't take those gauges at the bridge end.  Meaning a 62 won't fit through the bridge holes --- which is just ridiculous.  I've owned over 200 guitars, most of which were 7 strings and none had design flaws as bad as the parker.  You definitely don't need a 27" scale either for notes at or below A.  One of the most used 7 string tunings now is Ab.

There's a reason the 7 strings aren't selling.  I am one of the guys that bought one new because I love Parker, it was a killer guitar but the string gauge issue made me sell it.

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »

You're mistaken, the guitar ALSO can't take those gauges at the bridge end.  Meaning a 62 won't fit through the bridge holes --- which is just ridiculous.

That I did not know, and yes, that is somewhat ridiculous. You'd think they'd at the very least ream the string hole out a bit.

I know you don't NEED a 27" scale, but for anything below B it sounds and intonates a lot better to my ears. But I also don't get along very well with 24.75" scale length guitars.

It still comes down to USM just throwing a wider neck onto a 6 string guitar, which produces the undesirable side effects that you've come across. For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you in anyway. I agree that the 7 string is not thought out very well. Or at all, as it seems.

I don't own, and probably never will own, a 7 string fly, so I can't directly complain. But if more people chime in with these same (legitimate) concerns, maybe Parker will take notice?