Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Craigslist Specials  (Read 18684 times)

Offline jb63

Re: Craigslist Specials
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:51 PM »
Its a tough one. Ask to see the serial #, then you can get a better look at the paint job. Its going to take some work to get it all going right, but you can ask right out if its a factory paint job. I'm assuming he's going to have to ship it to you, so there's that. Keep it under $1000!

(wasn't there someone on the forum with a Lakewood, CO location?)

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
Price drop....$995! is this a red flag ?

The seller might be monitoring the forum. Or it's just a coincidence.

Ask to see the serial #, then you can get a better look at the paint job.

The number is shown in the listing, but I don't remember if it was there before. Looks to me like an original red finish that was repainted on the front following some modifications.

Regarding what to do about it ... beats me. I elect to sit back and observe the outcome.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mr303

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
If the CL map is right the seller is 10 minutes from me so seeing it wouldn’t be hard, but I don’t think it’s worth wasting time on at this point due to the obvious problems and possible hidden ones.
The price was listed as $1395.

I asked to see the serial number, if it was ribbon cable or hard wire, and what gauge strings he had on it.
I’m certain my number is flagged now and even if I did want to buy it I probably can’t ,  lol, being the inquisitive sort I am.

Seems like a great time waster and if I didn’t have a couple fly’s already it might be fun to tackle for $5-600.

My main reason for posting was because it looked odd and for a working or easily to get working Mojo the price was ok. 
The input from everyone here tells me to avoid the situation and just restring the old hardtail since the temperature is only getting to 35 today....

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and comments.

If the CL seller is watching this post text me, let’s talk about a realistic cash price.

It will be interesting to see if it gets off CL.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:39:30 AM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
BLUE MOJO:

I emailed him when that first popped on eBay.

The finish got the era-typical "cloudy" clear coat. The owner sanded that off and painted the top with blue Rustoleum spray paint.

I pointed out the pickup screws were odd, but he wasn't aware of them being swapped, though they clearly are not stock.

Yes, formerly had a GK-2 external pickup, screws sit in the holes.

And piezo has an issue - I would assume faulty Powerchip, but could be saddles.

If it was structurally solid, and had no loose fret issues, could be a good project for someone.

Offline jb63

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »
https://glensfalls.craigslist.org/msg/d/glens-falls-parker-maxx-fly/6774404180.html

Nothing important, but that's really cheap if anyone is nearby to it.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »
BLUE MOJO:

The finish got the era-typical "cloudy" clear coat. The owner sanded that off and painted the top with blue Rustoleum spray paint.

If it was structurally solid, and had no loose fret issues, could be a good project for someone.

Thanks Dayn
 You answered most all of my lingering questions.  I would not have guessed rustoleum...

I agree if it could be gotten for $500-600, send it to shazrock for a paint job and tune up then fiddle with the electronics it would be a good project.

Cheers
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2019, 02:29:35 PM »
Those Ohio Fly's are legit !  Thanks for sharing.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline Mr303

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
This is a courtesy post, well more of an amusing curiosity post...and a John Hiatt post

Here’s a Mojo in Denver area. 

Note the pictures of “small chip and crack”.  Ouch!

Reminds me of this hymn whenever I see needless carnage...

https://youtu.be/_diKw9F6t3U

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/denver-parker-fly-mojo-usa-electric/6809231564.html

Good price though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:32:51 PM by Mr303 »
- Mark Twain

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2019, 12:13:32 AM »
Ya, I'd call that more of a structural crack, not superficial at all.   :-\
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline jb63

« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
You'd have to look in the cavity to tell for sure. Not really a problem to repair, but pricey!

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
Given how THICK that poly finish is (I didn't realize they did the Mojo finish that hideously thick) that actually might be only superficial.

That said, refin on a Fly is expensive, so add this to the long list of overpriced Fly's out there.

Offline Musikron

« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2019, 01:44:24 PM »
That is not merely superficial. The wood may not be completely split I’ll give them that, but that is not the way a finish crack feathers. 15 years repairing instruments has left me confident in my assessment.

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
Yep, the guitar must have been hammered pretty hard.  Over the years, I've seen a few Fly's for sale with cracked finishes.  The sellers almost always try say it is "just the finish", but I don't buy it.  Notice how the crack runs right over output jack and the pots?  That's where the wood has split, where the body thickness is least and stress is the highest.
Another common break is between the bridge pickup, the tension wheel and rear strap button.
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline Mr303

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »
Caution this is a Rant....
Sure it plays well and probably sounds good but don’t say its superficial or cosmetic when it obviously isn’t. (That’s a pretty big chip.)

What po’s me is the seller nonchalantly trys to make it less than it actually is which could lead uninformed or ignorant buyers to take a hit without knowledge or experience of Parkers.
    If people don’t fully comprehend the nurturing and care of the platform and assume “normal” luthiery will repair the damage they could reluctantly get educated when the seller should be forthright about what’s going on from the get go.  If the CF wasn’t on the back I’d bet it would be missing that chunk of wood.
- Mark Twain