Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Piezo buzz from only one saddle  (Read 1284 times)

Offline jvsloan

Piezo buzz from only one saddle
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »
Hi all,

I'm having a curious issue with a piezo saddle in my '98 Parker Fly Deluxe.  When using piezos, I experience a pretty serious buzz unless I physically connect the high E string saddle to any ground (finger, adjacent saddle, etc.).  If I'm not mistaken, the piezos each have one wire which is soldered to the back of the bridge on a long metal piece, which then has a single wire routed to the circuit board; this is all perfectly intact.  I assume if the saddle were not making a good connection with its single wire there would be intermittent/bad/no signal rather than a perfectly normal/good signal with buzz, so I'm led to believe the issue is within the saddle itself, which I have not taken apart.

This guitar has had this issue as long as I've had it.
The workaround is a little resistor connecting the balls of the E and B strings by the bridge.  This has been completely reliable but I'd like to make a permanent fix.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any ideas what could be the cause?  I'm thinking to simply replace the saddle, but I wanted to throw this out here before doing that.

Thanks for reading!

-Jim

Re: Piezo buzz from only one saddle

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
Do you get sound from all 6 saddles with your resister 'mod'?

I had a nitefly that sounded like someone stuck a microphone out of speeding car, until I unhooked one of the saddles. Static and terrible noises abound.

It's one of a few ways that the piezo saddles end their lives. I've had a one that went silent and few that were intermittently silent and/or staticy, as well. Finding a replacement may be tough, and it may be wise to move to a whole new saddle set. When one goes on my 98 Delxue, I'll likely throw a set of graphtech saddles on for under $100.

Offline jvsloan

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Yes, with the resistor work around all 6 piezos sound just as they should.

Offline jvsloan

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:46:58 PM »
I resolved the issue!  I cleaned behind the bridge where the string ball rests.  Seems there's some metal there that connects each saddle to ground (is this true?), and mine was just dirty.

Offline E.H. Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to being a Parker Fly owner. I’ve had a P-38 for a while, but I just recently purchased a Emerald Green Parker Fly Deluxe, which I love. I was having a problem that has been discussed in this thread regarding a hum in the B string when using the piezo pickup built into the bridge. The hum appeared only when I touched the string. After reading all I could find on the web about the issue, but loathing the idea of replacing the saddle on the B string, it occurred to me that I should make sure all the saddle's hex bolts were tightened down. Several were loose, including the B string and, when I got them all nice and tight, the problem was solved. No hum whatsoever, even when I turn up the volume on the piezo pickup. Just thought I'd share, even though it might not solve the problem for all.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
sweet, glad you got it sorted.  Piezos require a little bit of pressure to work.  Loose screws and crud can definitely mess that up.  thanks for sharing!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]