Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Three complaints on the P-38 - what do I do?  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Kewlpack

• http://www.thestompbox.net
Three complaints on the P-38 - what do I do?
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:41:20 PM »
I have spent some time with my lovely P38 (bought used) and have found a few issues that I don't know what to do about... The issues were most likely caused by the previous owner.

1)   Action. The action on the guitar is kinda funky. I want it as low as possible without fret buzz. Like from the factory. I've tried tweaking it myself with NO luck. Currently, the strings feel TOO HIGH, but still have some FRET BUZZ.
2)   Neck/Truss Rod. I think the neck is curved a bit too much (the right direction), but I don't wanna mess with that myself.
3)   Pickups hum like CRAZY on position 4 of the pickup switch(mid + single coil on bridge)... isn't that supposed to be hum cancelling like position 2? Also, the pickup switch itself is flaking out intermittantly (causing static, pops, and noise when jiggled or switching positions).

I don't know where to get the guitar serviced and put back "to factory settings".

HELP!!!! If I can't get it back to spec, then it's going back to Guitar Center! :(

Blessings,
~A~

Guitars:
Parker P-38
Ibanez AS83-VLS

Rig:
BOSS GT-8
Fender Stage 1000

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 11:27:10 PM »
I would really suggest you learn how to set up your guitar yourself.[:)]

You have all ready demonstrated that your willing to mess it up by making adjustments now all it will take is for you to make the right adjustment and all will be well.[:D]

Number one important rule don't force it. Take your time it often takes time for the neck to move or settle in so go slow wait and check, make a small adjustments, play, wait, what ever but don't touch it for day, then check it again. I don't want to go into all the minutia of setup here but it really isn't that difficult. It takes some practice to get fast at it but it takes patiences to get good at it.[:)]

I was the guitar tech for a local music store for a couple of years learned a lot got lots of experience. I have always had a knack for that kind of thing.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Kewlpack

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:14:52 AM »
I did notice that getting that the "set up" on day 1 would be a little different on day 2. Almost like the neck would shift ever so slightly. I would love to learn the "right" way to set this stuff up. I've read little bits in books here and there.

My hope was that someone here could direct me to an authorized Parker tech so I can get it setup "correctly" - so I'm starting from a "factory recommended" point.

My biggest concern is that truss rod, the bridge and string-saddle height are out of whack with each other (I've tweaked both) - as well as the flaky pickup switch. I understand what's supposed to do what - but I would take a little comfort in having an "old pro" make sure I have done all I can to make the action nice, low and fast. I don't think it's there at the moment.

If you were in the Dallas/Garland area - I'd pay YOU a visit! ;)

Blessings,
~A~

Guitars:
Parker P-38
Ibanez AS83-VLS

Rig:
BOSS GT-8
Fender Stage 1000
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 09:15:51 AM by Kewlpack »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 09:39:03 AM »
Well I am not in the Dallas area seeing that I am in Michigan. I wouldn't worry so much about it going to a Parker pro there is very little if anything different in setting up your Parker then setting up any guitar. If you have a local dealer that you frequent that is the first place I would check for a guitar tech. I know there are books on it and there are probably web sites that spell out what to do and in what order that is the key, that and patience.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:07:39 PM »
i'm also in michigan.  i know setting up the guitar is the same, yet when i first got my guitar, none of the non-parker dealers would touch it for some reason.  i highly doubt you would want guitar center to mess with it.  i would suggest learning how to set the guitar up yourself.  does the p-38 come with a manual?

Offline Kewlpack

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:19:17 PM »
I bought it used, so it didn't come with one. However, I did download the manual from Parker's site - it covers the setup (which I tried to follow)... but my results weren't completely favorable. I would like things lower... but I already have slight buzz. On my Artcore guitar, the action is nice and low without buzz... I figured the Parker could do at least as good.

What about the glitchy pickup switch? There is no way I'm opening the guts on this guitar. The last time I did try to repair a guitar it cost me an extra $50 to fix what I broke plus what I wanted to fix in the first place (I have NO soldering skills). So I'm gunshy I suppose.

Blessings,
~A~

Guitars:
Parker P-38
Ibanez AS83-VLS

Rig:
BOSS GT-8
Fender Stage 1000
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 04:20:00 PM by Kewlpack »

Offline Vintage

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 05:57:33 PM »
I find that my P-38 is unforgiving if my fingers are not placed properly on the fingerboard. Things I could get by with on my Washburn I can't on the P-38. It's just touchier, which has made me work harder to play right. I get fret buzz also, but have found most of it is my fault, but I'm making adjustments in my finger placement and this is going away.[:D]

As far as the switch on yours, it may have a bit of corrosion on it. Contact cleaner would probably take care of that. Any Radio Shack carries it. Soldering is very easy, just takes some practice, until your skills develope. Remember for electrical and electronics only use rosin core solder, as acid core will corrode the parts. Don't use excessive heat, just enough to make a good joint. I use a soldering station with adjustable heat settings, and only use this for electrical stuff.[:p]

I'm Vintage, not the guitars.

Parker P-38
Washburn Mercury
Behringer Vampire
I'm Vintage, not the guitars.

Parker P-38
Washburn Mercury
BC Rich Bich Platinum
Behringer Vampire

Offline Defonga

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 12:49:07 AM »
check out this site.  http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm

hope it helps.

Offline Kewlpack

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 09:49:36 AM »
Defonga - excellent - thanks! I bookmarked that site.

Blessings,
~A~
Guitars: Parker P-38 & Ibanez AS83-VLS
Rig: BOSS GT-8 & Fender Stage 1000