Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neck profile questions between models and years  (Read 3370 times)

Offline sonikk71

Neck profile questions between models and years
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:56:51 PM »
I played my first Parker back in 93/94-ish at a local music store (the now defunct Band Aid music in Lynnwood WA.) and was really impressed. I decided one day I would own one. Well over the years it seems every time I have got close to purchasing one something has come up and I haven't been able to pick one up.

Recently (the last couple years) I have been saving with the expressed intent of finally buying a fly. I am almost to the place were I have enough money to pick up a quality used one. (Wife,mortgage, and 2 kids in college doesn't leave much room for the guitar budget :P)  Consequently I have been zero'ing in on what year and model I need/want. It isn't easy to find flys locally to test play, I cant just play a bunch and then decide. Previously in the middle 90s I had played a few classics and deluxes and remember them as having a very wide flat neck. However it has been many years since I played a fly until recently. They were both Mojos. They both had a neck profile that where nothing like what I remember the deluxes or the classics having. The Mojos were much more like a Fender or a Les Paul, especially as you get closer towards the nut. Thick and not very wide. Am I mistaken and nostalga is getting the best of me? Are there certain year/models of Parker Flys that had wider and thinner necks?

Re: Neck profile questions between models and years

Offline sonikk71

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »
Anyone?

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:35:15 PM »
Hiya,

I have a 94 deluxe, quite wide and quite thin neck profile, absolutely nothing like the 2010 MIA Telecaster i have, which feels like a log in comparison.

The DF 524 i have is even thinner again, and much flatter feeling, more along the shred/metal type necks, in my opinion anyways, i reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a thinner neck, almost too thin....

I have no idea how the neck profiles of the different models varied over the years though, and don't really know where this info might exist. Never tried a Mojo.

But the 94 Delux definitely has an incredibly smooth, nicely curved and thinnish neck, and is fantastic to play.

Ciao

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:05:45 AM »
Are there certain year/models of Parker Flys that had wider and thinner necks?

The guys here who have owned a lot of them usually report that differences exist, but in a random way.

I've only owned a couple of Flys, and played a couple of others. None were Mojos. The necks all seemed similar to me.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:30:10 AM »
I've had over a dozen pass through my hands I don't see any predictable pattern as to neck dimensions. The width is pretty constant at the nut but some taper in immediately and some the neck gets wider first then rounds off to the back. Some are thicker some thinner. One reason I have owned so many I like the fat round ones so I bought guitars and sold them just to find the necks I like the best. I have only two Flys left a fat neck 1996 pearl white Deluxe and fat neck 2006 black Mojo.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline sonikk71

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys keep them coming. I definitely prefer a thin and wide neck. As awesome as the two Mojos where that I played I really didn't care for the shape of the neck the further towards the headstock I went.

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31:47 AM »
I have a 97 Classic and that has a thin neck profile.  I also have a 97 Concert that is even thinner.  I like them both.

I tried a late 2000's Mojo in a local shop a couple of years ago and didn't like the thicker neck profile that had.  I am not sure it is something I could get used to.  I have a Gibson 339 with the slimmer of the 2 available profiles but I just can't bond with it.

I haven't been able to try any of the DF range so can't comment on where they fit.
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Offline sonikk71

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 05:36:53 PM »
So it sounds like you had the same experience I did. I wonder if there are any thin and wide mojos out there? My guess is no as the mojo was created for people who like parkers but wanted something more along the tone of an LP if I remember correctly...

Offline jjozwia

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »
I no longer remember what the first fly tried in '90s was like other than guitar was so strange looking and unique feeling that I wanted one but was so far out of reach.  Fast forward to the present, still cannot play however fortunate to own a few first year Mojos, they are awesome and all feel the same to me.  I've also picked up a couple later ones which to be fair are really start of DragonFly/AD series, they are thicker to allow EMGs, neck is thicker, and heavier as well.  Newest one I have is a 2011 bought off ebay.  It was listed as mojo but certainly has the same weight and feel (including neck) as my DragonFlys except pups are the usual SDs instead... is it a Mojo, DragonFly, other... cannot say... to be honest with the introduction of the DragonFlys the entire product line after that point now confuses the hell out of me.

Anyhow, I prefer the weight and feel of the older/thinner Mojos for standard and drop D tunings...

As for the DragonFlys and possibly newer mojo... not a huge fan of the extra weight or neck thickness however I have to admit regardless of EMGs/SDs they do sound considerably thicker when tuned down.

Online jester700

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »
Sounds like it's ALL up in the air. I have a DF824 and a few of the DF bolt ons, both American made and imported (PDF). Also an older used Stealth (which I think was the same neck as the deluxes, etc. of the same time period). They all have very similar neck profiles - thin and wide. Very shredder-friendly.

I've never played a Mojo.

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
I last played a deluxe before I ever owned one decades ago. All I know is my 2000/1 niteflies have very similar necks to each other and these are noticeably fatter than my 2004 mojo.
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline sonikk71

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »

Anyhow, I prefer the weight and feel of the older/thinner Mojos for standard and drop D tunings...

As for the DragonFlys and possibly newer mojo... not a huge fan of the extra weight or neck thickness however I have to admit regardless of EMGs/SDs they do sound considerably thicker when tuned down.

I hear ya one of the  newer mojos I played was a 2k10 model and it was really heavy compared to other Parkers I have played!

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
It's very hard to get neck profile dimensions, but I'm kind of a thin neck freak, and also a mad modder, so I've taken measurements of several Parker neck profiles.

They vary a lot even within the same year and model.  I've found this to be the case with Gibsons as well.\

Anyway, here are some measurements:

'97 Fly Deluxe:

5lbs 4oz

Neck width at 1st fret--1.69"
width at 12th fret--2.05"

Neck thickness at 1st fret--.74"
thickness at 12th fret--.79

Neck profile is a shallow "C" with almost no taper.

---

'13 PDF 100:

6lbs 4oz

Width 1st fret--1.64"
width at 12th fret--2.03"

Thickness 1st fret--.70"
at the 12th--.81"

The profile is an even shallower "C" than the Fly.

The neck of my 2013 PDF70 is identical.

---

Unknown Nitefly wrapped neck:

Width 1st fret--1.61"
at the 12th--2.04"

Thickness 1st--.78"
at the 12th--.86"

Medium (rounder) "C" profile

---

2003 PM20:

7lbs 4oz

Width 1st--1.69"
at the 12th--2.05"

Thickness 1st--.82"
at the 12th--.85"

Profile is a very Gibsonesque small "U".

---

2008 PM20:

6lbs 2oz

Width 1st--1.59"
at the 12th--1.98"

Thickness 1st--.75"
at the 12th--.82"

Shallow "C" profile

---

2009 PM20 (resin fretboard):

7lb 9oz (Bubinga)

Width 1st--1.62"
at the 12th--2.02"

Thickness 1st--.79"
at the 12th--.83"

Shallow "C" profile

---

Everybody has their own experiences and opinions, but mine is that a difference of as little as .02" in any one of these dimensions can be very noticeable.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:22:48 PM by taxguydave »
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline sonikk71

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:45 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Strangely enough I happened to stop into the local GC today and they had a used Indonesian made pdf 105. The neck on it was nothing like the two newer mojos I was talking about in my original post. The neck profile was much more like how I remember the deluxe neck feeling back in the day. Very shredder friendly. Wide and thin. Much more akin to an Ibanez or the middle to late 80s Charvels.

Offline vjmanzo

• vjmanzo.com
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »
I realize that this thread is quite old (and my apologies if this late post is not the proper decorum), but I wanted to contribute for posterity's sake:

I measured the neck thickness of my Flys at the first fret and my '97 Fly Concert, 03' Fly Classic, and '05 Fly Mojo all have the same neck profile and are noticeably slimmer than my '07 Fly Deluxe and my '08 Fly Mojo. I always thought my "later year production" Flys felt chunkier, but never measured them because I thought, in principle, all Fly necks were the same (or very similar) profile. It seems to be the case, for me, that my "newer" Fly neck profiles are, in fact, thicker by more than 1/8".
Fly Mojo (2005)
Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007)
Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008)
Fly Concert (1997)
Fly Classic [w/Gen1 Dimarzios] (2003)