Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Disappointed with Parker Customer Service  (Read 1534 times)

Offline merman9393

Disappointed with Parker Customer Service
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
I purchased a beautiful used Parker Deluxe Fly the first week in 2015. It is a Pre-refined 1997 model, and it's my first Parker ever. It is absolutely flawless, and came with the original manual, an extra #9, and a #10 spring, ( a #9 is installed also), an unused Stereo cable, and Parker gig-bag. There is an interesting story about the guitar, but it's not my story to tell, except to say it is as close to new old stock as you could ever find.
There were no tools to be found, so I contacted Customer Service to see if these were available. I explained it was a pre-refined 1997 model, provided the seriel number etc. and a few weeks later I received a response,....

[On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:32 AM, guitar support <guitar.support@USMusicCorp.com> wrote:

You will need to track these down from a local hardware.  We no longer have inventory on the tool set for the 90's Parkers.  You will need to track down a #10 Torx wrench to adjust the truss rod.  It is a common item at Home Depot that is used to assemble a lot of furniture.

I've enclosed the manual for your interest.  It will also give you the sizes of the other tools required for the older Parkers.]

At that time I was ready to Praise their Customer Service for going out of their way to help me. I assume knowledgable Parker owners may already see the issue, but As a first time owner, I'm trusting the official Customer Service Dept to be the experts, and so I order a Bondhus 5/32 T wrench, 3/32 T wrench, ( sizes from manual), and  #10 Torx wrench as specified.

The area where the truss rod is adjusted is hard to see, but it was obvious it wasn't grasping anything. I assumed it actually required a specific type of # 10 Torx wrench, so, I contacted customer Service again, and they suggested I order a#10 from McMaster Carr.

Another $15.00 spent on tool plus Shipping and Handling, but I had such a great guitar that I wanted to get the complete tools for it.

Again, it just wasn't grasping anything. I'm frustrated and beginning to think there is a serious issue and maybe the story I was provided about why the guitar had never been used and was in perfect condition was not accurate and I had been sold a guitar that had some type of neck truss rod issue.

I scheduled a set-up with an authorized Parker repair center. After an hour drive each way, and an extremely embarrassing conversation, I find out customer Service gave me the wrong size, of Torx wrench, Twice.

It takes a #27 Torx NOT a # 10. I had shown him the emails on my phone to and from Parker, (basically for my own peace of mind), and he told me a few bad issues he had had with USMusic Service himself, that had cost him quite a bit more than I had spent, then I didn't feel as bad.

He looked over my Parker, and agreed it looked like it actually had been sitting in a case for 15 + years. He said it appeared I had luckily avoided the biggest issue he has to deal with on older Parkers, the ribbon connectors.

Anyway, I hope no other purchaser of an older Parker gets the run-a-round from customer service that I did regarding a dang $5.00 Torx wrench.

It's sad because I have more than 20 electric guitars, and my Deluxe Fly is the most versatile of any of them, and it's actually older than most of them too.

Re: Disappointed with Parker Customer Service

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
It's a fact that whoever might pick up the phone or answer emails at Parker customer service is likely to know less about those early models than many of the veteran owners and enthusiasts here at the forum.

To be honest, that kind of knowledge is a very low priority to the company management and employees at this point, and rightly so. Their concerns lie with current products and simply keeping the operation afloat.

Next time you want to know something, especially about non-current products, ask us. ;)
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline merman9393

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Next time you want to know something, especially about non-current products, ask us. ;)

Agreed.

In all honesty, prior to owning a Parker I had lurked here for many years reading reviews, and pictures of customizations, and upgrades, especially of Hex pickups, and RMC Piezo's & preamps, and did a forum search about tools, but apparently this was just a lesson I needed to learn.

My next question will surely be posted here. Thanks.