Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intonation issues  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Kataless

Intonation issues
« on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
Greetings, new to the forum.

I have a 1998 Nitefly. I bought this guitar new many years ago. I've played it off and on over the years. I didn't really touch it for years, you all know the story, married, kids, divorced etc...  I'm glad I never sold it when I was broke!  Anyway back to my question. I'm having difficulty setting the intonation.

First of all I'm tuned down to CGCGCE. I've set the spring tension so that the bridge is parallel to the body. I have a straight neck. I have the bridge height to a comfortable height. The bridge is set so that it is floating.

I can not set the low string to a proper intonation. It seems it is a little sharp. I can not move the saddle back any farther. I have even raised the bridge higher and lower multiple times in a effort to combat the intonation issue. I've lowered the pickups thinking that maybe they were causing problems with the magnetic field.

Anyone have any suggestions?  My other options are to learn to do it myself or take it to a shop where the guys have never worked on a Parker.

Re: Intonation issues

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »
How's the intonation with strings that are tuned normally?

Is the bridge assembly centered in its cavity? No smaller or larger gaps around the edges?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Kataless

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »
The intonation on all other strings is good.

Visually the bridges appears to be set normal in the cavity.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:21:03 AM »
No, I meant if normal gauge strings are used and tuned to EADGBE, how is the low E intonation?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Kataless

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »
the intonation was off when it was tuned normal, but that was after the guitar sitting for several years. I'm using 9-42 guage strings, although I want to go up a size. I went with the 9s since it was set originally for that size, and it was a matter of trouble shooting. I'm curious if the nut is causing a issue, but that is where my knowledge becomes limited.   I suppose I could just start over with normal tuning and see how the intonation is, but that seems counter productive.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
the intonation was off when it was tuned normal, but that was after the guitar sitting for several years... I suppose I could just start over with normal tuning and see how the intonation is, but that seems counter productive.

That's where I'd start, personally. The intonation issues might be specific to your low tuning and/or non-standard gauge strings.

I'm curious if the nut is causing a issue, but that is where my knowledge becomes limited.

If the nut slot for that string is cut wrong, you would hear incorrect intonation on every fret, especially the lowest ones. If the bridge saddle for that string is placed wrong, you would hear incorrect intonation only as you move to the upper frets.

Offline Kataless

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
I feel like I've ruled out all the other options except the nut. How would one check if the nut slots were cut correctly?  Is it just a matter of them being cut parallel?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
How would one check if the nut slots were cut correctly?  Is it just a matter of them being cut parallel?

First, where are you hearing the problem? If your intonation problems are heard primarily on the lower frets, the nut is probably the cause... otherwise, it's probably not.

If the nut is the cause, it might be fixable by recutting the one slot, or the nut might have to be fully replaced. That typically requires specific tools, so is generally a job for a local guitar tech.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »
when syber asks if the "bridge assembly is centered, no gaps ect" he means your era guitars in particular, and others have bridge posts that lean forward in their seat slowly over time, making intonation impossible.  he doesn't like to talk about this, but he seems to be coming around.  see my posts in TECH TALK.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:16:53 AM »
when syber asks if the "bridge assembly is centered, no gaps ect" he means your era guitars in particular, and others have bridge posts that lean forward in their seat slowly over time, making intonation impossible.

Sez you. That's not what I mean at all. I was wondering if the bridge was slightly rotated so that the low end is too close to the neck... because the bottom string is the only part he feels is not intonated.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:19:35 AM »
yeah, syber, that happens when the bass bridge post might move forward faster, over time than the treble post because of more string tension on the bass side.

syber, you said in september 2014 you always tell it straight but your response is disingenuous here and i can pick other examples where other members may have been misled by your posts assuring them not to worry, ect.  i know of at least one guy like that here that may have purchased a guitar with the problem i re-identified since the 2009 discovery, and he sold it shortly thereafter because it was not intonateable, or had a related leaning bridge post problem, whatever.  bridge stability is fundamental to a functioning $2000, $4000 or $6000 guitar, together with the cheaper ones of similar design. 

identification of this problem and a search for a solution will benefit potentially every fly, nitefly and some of the related pm vibrato bridge guitar owners, until Parker "opens the kimomo" so we all know the difference between hype and fact.  you, reset, the guy with the headband, and even the sennheiser guy (i think) are following you over to the dark-side.  chill darth
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:26:34 AM by bembamboo »

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »
identification of this problem and a search for a solution will benefit potentially every fly, nitefly and some of the related pm vibrato bridge guitar owners, until Parker "opens the kimomo" so we all know the difference between hype and fact.

What are you talking about? The problem, if it exists on some percentage of instruments, already has a solution: Order the friggin' inserts and use them. There is nothing else to wait for or hope for, there is nothing else that will change, and there is nothing else to whine about incessantly.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »
"if it exists".... right

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »
WHAT inserts?!?  Parker sent me two Delrin washers with no instruction as to where they go, and I've not been able to figure out anything, and they've been unresponsive.
---Mikhael...
             ***Parker and Godin - at least they tried something new...

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 01:54:33 PM »
WHAT inserts?!?  Parker sent me two Delrin washers with no instruction as to where they go, and I've not been able to figure out anything, and they've been unresponsive.

Look here:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,10146.msg138699.html

As I explained in your other thread, Parker is kaput.