Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DF series ID help  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Mr303

DF series ID help
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
Once again here is an ID question.

I'll post pictures when the guitar gets here.

In case anyone saw it on eBay the last couple days it was displayed laying in a hardcase. I believe it's a DF422.

Briefly
Its a tangerine DF series with carbon wrapped neck, maybe.
Spoke with seller, neck was painted to match body by aprevious owner no serial number transfer. Odd that.
Sounded like he described a Shazrock job but again that's a big maybe since Shazrock transfers serial numbers every time. Unless they get in an odd neck?

Without usual slide selector which is wrong for the all DF's in catalogs or pictures. <<<red flag :o

Three knobs with two toggles, one large with plastic tip( pup select (upper)) and one small chrome toggle without tip(piezo(lower)).  2 humbuckers (marked with USM logo as per a DF422),1 Parker trem with ghost piezos. Not sure if coil tap.

Battery compartment is set outside of and directly adjacent to back panel in guitar body near tail. :o

Truss rod cover engraved with.   ME201. <<<this is a big red flag! :o.
Looks original though, could not locate any truss cover similar to it.

Tuners look like lockers but not Sperzles <<<<another flag. :o

These four points are suspect, but the seller has a good record for selling Fly Classics and Deluxe's, which has me wondering if it's a special edition of some sort.

After the deal I see that the guitar was sent back once before by another buyer, for what reasons I don't know.

If any members have an idea about this rig please let me know.  It arrives 4/20-28. 
If a forum member happens to have dealt with this rig that would be good to know too.
Thanks for any help. 
I'll post pictures in a week or so.

Another addition to the stable....I got GAS bad.
Obviously I haven't been around the Parker country enough to know the tidbits of models so any leads or suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers and thanks!
Mr303
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:52:57 AM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Re: DF series ID help

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »
Post pics and we'll see. Sounds fishy to me.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
I saw the truss rod cover engraved ME 201.  It didn't look like it fit.  It probably shouldn't, given that it's a First Act model number.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:22:21 PM by taxguydave »
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline sybersitizen

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mr303

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
Arrrgh!!

First act?! Feel free to PM me with info like that.

Yeaarrrgh! owner mods, scary.

I hope to hell it ain't owner modded beyond repair.

Shazrock yeah that's it Shazrock yeah...gawd more money, faster horses, younger women, more money.

I'll post pictures.

Thanks everyone for the input.
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline erikrdev

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14:07 AM »
I saw this on ebay a few weeks ago , it sold fast back then and it was re listed this week .  I think it's a pdf70 with a painted neck , headstock and a graphtech added.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »
Other than the truss cover not being the correct size I think it looks OK.
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Mr303

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:18 AM »
so that makes it a PDF75? 

This Franken Parker will be looked at, returned, and I'll post photos so others can avoid this beast in the future.

Now to see how good the PayPal return system is.

- Mark Twain

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »
Other than the truss cover not being the correct size I think it looks OK.

Is there a stock PDF model with that knob/switch configuration?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mr303

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
Now that my eye focuses on the guitar instead of the finish,my PDF105 has the same configuration except the piezo switch matches the pup select switch i.e. Black plastic tips.

This one appears to have been upmodded by a previous owner so the piezo selector is odd, as is the neck....etc.etc.etc.
- Mark Twain

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
... my PDF105 has the same configuration except the piezo switch matches the pup select switch...

Look closely at the exact positions of the knobs. Still a match? And yes, the switch is different.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
Let me rephrase, it might be a good player even if modified a bunch (I personally think it's a real modified Parker import). Maybe if you like it and it sounds good offer to keep it at a discounted price??
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Re: DF series ID help (vote now!)

Offline Mr303

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
One odd bit is the USM labeled pups as in a df422 configuration.

New poll:

Any votes on what it is?
The closest correct description wins a beer on me next time you visit Denver Colorado.

My vote for now is a modified PDF model.
(Non Shazrock neck paint since no serial number, with possibly a Parker trem/piezo add on, tuners, maybe a different nut.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:14:30 PM by Mr303 »
- Mark Twain

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
... tuners...

Those tuners are shown on Parker's PDF page - and two of those knobs are correctly positioned for a PDF70/80. So it appears that a knob and a switch and a battery compartment were added (presumably for piezos), plus the paint job and the oddball truss rod cover.

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:49:04 AM »
I've thought that Parker should make a PDF75.  Maybe in the place of the PDF65.  The PDF70 comes in cooler finishes than the PDF60, and they already make the PDF35...

What if they did make a PDF75?  PDF70's frequently sell for around $500, so a decent used PDF75 would probably go for $600-$700...

'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS