Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PDF60  (Read 2894 times)

Offline HEADKNOCKER

PDF60
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »
Yesterday my Son was @ the Local Pawn Shop & a Buddy of his was going in with a Parker Gig Bag & he said he was going to sell it to them as he was in need of money & they would only give him $100 for it..
Well anyhow he decided to sell it my son instead of letting the pawnbroker rip him off & the deal was made $100 for what looks to me to be a Parker Maxx Fly or PDF60? Don't know how you can tell?? It doesn't seem to be marked but a lot of our other guitars aren't either..
The Guitar is white & has an ebony fretboard or a close copy of ebony, very close action & what appears to be .009"-.046" strings
It's missing the truss rod cover but I can make one from a piece of fine dark hardwood or just leave it off..
The guitar also has active EMG pickups a Gold & Silver? I assume 81 & 85 but won't know until I change the strings & have a peak..
I see three allen screws at the rear & threw the rear plate & ASSuME that the small one is for blocking the trem & the other two are for lifting the trem up/down..
I've worked on guitars since 1978 but have never worked on a Parker of any type, I've played some of the super high end ones a few times that were carbon fiber coated & were amazing..
My Son & I have many guitars, Gibsons, PRS, Ibanez, Ovation, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, Washburn, Peavey, Lotus, Silvertone etc.

I will have to say for a import model this guitar seems to really play pretty darn good, It does have some creaking to the trem as it come back to the resting position, could be the trem arm is all floppy & needs an adjustment or the trem needs lubrication? Hard to say as I haven't really looked at it hard yet.. I see what appears to be an allen screw at the rear of the trem arm, kinda like a PRS or Steinberger..
Also the pickup selector switch is backwards & I ASSuME that whoever put the EMGs in it plugged them in backwards to the board or I just need to turn the switch 180 degrees & tighten it back down.. We'll have to wait & see till I get inside the cavity..
Can anyone date these by the serial # 1107064**

Here's a Pic of the Guitar sitting in my bedroom..

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:24:48 AM by HEADKNOCKER »
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Re: PDF60

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »
Yeah, that's definitely a PDF60 with aftermarket pups.  For $100, that's a CRAZY good deal!  Congrats. 
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
Yeah my Son really scored on that Axe..
I cleaned it up last night..
First: Was shaving the sharp edges off the edge of the frets.. Used my homemade 30 degree fret end file & then a fret file at the ends to smooth it all up.. Then 1000/2000..
Second: Between the 18th & 19th frets one of the neck attachment bolts was too long & pushing up on the fretboard causing a crack & a lump, The fix was first to shorten the bolt & taper it's head & put some wax on the threads & reinstall, then take a razor & flatten the area saving the shavings, then took some instant CA glue along with the ebony dust & filled the crack, then after it set scraped it smooth with a razor & then 1000/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.. Lemon Oiled/Waxed the ebony after the frets were leveled & shiny, Used a piece of nevr-dull after masking the ebony..
Third: Polish & shine er up, Gibson polish as I have lots of it on hand.., also had a look under the hood while the strings were off & sure enough EMG 81 & 85s as I figured by what we heard, also removed the rear cover & installed a Lithium 9 Volt while in there & put a scrap of foam under the battery, they had put two small pieces of wood to keep the battery in place plus a velcro strip screwed to the top..
I turned the selector switch 180 degrees & retightened it so it now points the right direction & also tightened the set screw to take the play out of the tremolo arm so it's not all floppy..
I raised the action at the bridge a little less than a 1/64" but kept the neck straight for now, I will more than likely give a few thousandths of relief as my son like to tune down a 1/2 step.. I tuned it standard for now with 9-42 nonowebs & we'll see how it goes..
Here's a few pics I snapped during the cleanup of the Dragon Fly

"It's Like a Dragon Fly, Oh YEAH YEAH!!"
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

DragonFly Truss Rod Cover

Offline HEADKNOCKER

DragonFly Truss Rod Cover
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
I made a TRC today from a old black Gibson one that I cut across & got a screw from my guitar stash..
Looks OK but I do think I'm gonna try my hand at making one that's just like the factory one but made from a piece of rosewood..
I'll get a picture of it later on..
Gary/Hk
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:55:30 AM »
I went out to the shop for a little while this evening & cut a sliver of rosewood on the table saw & also made a pick & a the truss rod cover for the Parker..
Had a broken black les paul TRC that came from a broken Gibson's headstock that I cut down earlier to make one but wanted to make my son a nice one..
Still need to get the arch right on the TRC to match the cutaway and will get it in the morning & drill & bevel the hole..

**Need to make a zero clearance insert for my table saw as cutting these tiny pieces is dangerous without it.. I'll make one of those tomorrow too**

Gibson Truss Rod Cover Cut Down To Fit Parker MaxxFly/DragonFly/PDF60

Rosewood Pick & Custom Truss Rod Cover In The Making
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline jester700

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:06:35 AM »
What a dad! Will you adopt me?  ;-)

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »
Can't do that..
I can hardly afford to eat with all the gear we have, Most was bought cheap but some PRS & Gibsons set me back a little..
My youngest son who owns the PDFs birthday is this saturday, He'll be 24..
He still like his Gibson Nighthawk the best but this Parker is a shredders dream with it's close action, thin neck & super slim body that just molds to your body.. he used to like the PRS the best but the Nighthawk just feels good & has severe tone..
the EMG 81/85s in the Parker PDF60 make it pretty much a full on humbucking tone but can clean up some.. Lots of output & the 81 is ceramic = HOT..
He wants me to set the trem to rest against the stop & to get the springs as loose as possible to make the arm easy to manipulate, he took the sponge handle off as he prefers it without..
I finished the Truss Rod cover & made another pick this morning from the scrap of the rosewood sliver, I lemon oiled it up but never got around to installing it as I was busy making an insert for my table saw plus a few other projects, My shop is a mess & need to spend a few hours putting tools away & clean it up out there.. MESSY!!
Well anyway my son has lots of gear available & the PDF60 is gonna make a great addition to the harem..
Here's a few of his others, The M-III Les Paul is mine & the 2 basses..
My oldest son owns the Gibson Blueshawk..
Youngest Son has a half dozen more electrics & several acoustics, lap steel, drum machine, keyboards, synthesizer, two organs & now wants a set of drums!! OH MY! Mental Note: Get the ear plugs & hearing protection from the Range Bag..
He's also been wanting a Tele & an SG & I'm gonna make them from scratch from 2 7 foot mahogany 4x4s that I got from a 100 year old church..
That'll be my next big projects this winter..
I also really like the looks of the Parker tele & saw some under $400 on reverb.. = Bargain..
Here's some of the gear in the harem..

1994 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite with M-III Electronics

1997 PRS CE-22 with Dragon 1 pickups

2013 Gibson Nighthawk Standard "Nancy Wilson Fanatic"

1987 Charvel 3B & Ibanez SR300 Basses

2006 Gibson Blueshawk
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline jester700

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:29:56 AM »
Love the PRS & Blueshawk. My non-Parker fave is a Cort MCustom that has a PRS Hollowbody vibe, so I know where he's coming from with his tone taste...

Awesome stable of guitars!

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:20:21 AM »
Thanks jester700

"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 01:32:33 AM »
I did a bit of tinkering on the PDF60 this morning, My son wants the trem set on the stop screw, BUT wants it to not clank when released, I figure that a small rubber cap on the end of the stop screw will give the results wanted OR a piece of rubber on the underside of the tremolo, He wanted the spring tension lessened so I removed the middle trem spring leaving just two & adjusted the claw a bit to his liking..
Still haven't come across/found the right piece to put on the end of the stop screw.. Still looking..
I made up a little fixture to give me the right arc on the edges of the rosewood truss rod cover to match the edge of the headstock, then flipped it to get the other side the same.. The cap from a pill container was the perfect arc so I nailed it to a piece of scrap & a stop to act as the nut, It turned out OK & will just through the fixture in my drawer of similar jigs & fixtures.. I also made a necklace from one of the rosewood picks & cut four brass slides for use on few different guitars, We have a lap steel Silvertone from the mid 40s..
I really like the stop screw setup & plan on using this design on a Custom Jackson DK2M I'm making.. Great Design IMO..
I've got two guitars in the making in my Dungeon/Basement shop, The Gibson M-III & the Pile-O-Skulls Jackson DK2M..
Here's a pic of the TRC & Pick necklace & the little fixture I used to get the arc right, see the four brass slides & three 9 volt battery leads that I'm gonna use to make a plug in 18 Volt power supply for the EMG Pickups by adding another 9 volt battery in series to try on get the sound less compressed & more open sounding..
Also note a pick given to me by Chris Caffery of Savatage/Trans Siberian Orchestra.. I used it as a tracing for the necklace pick, I'm gonna do an engraving on it of an S & fill it in..
ROCK ON!! Parker Owners.. I'll get this thin/light little guitar playing with the best out there..

This was the shape I was after but with a bit more girth, also note this one is loose & crooked, Not our guitar but an online picture
I also wanted the TRC to be closer to the nut with a bevel at the rear..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:39:44 AM by HEADKNOCKER »
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
I finally got around to taking a picture of the Parker with the newly made truss rod cover last night..
Made it from a scrap of brazilian rosewood that I cut a laminate from on the table saw..
I did a 18 volt mod on the EMGs & it sounded better @ 9 volts to both my sons & my ears, So I'm gonna close it up & call it good..

I will have to say that the Parker is a great guitar for the money..

"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"