Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fake Parker I think....  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Zorsim

Fake Parker I think....
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »
Hello, I have a question, I think my Parker is Fake, I have a lot of problems..
Where can I check the serial number ? Thx ;)

Sorry for my english i come from Belgium :)

Re: Fake Parker I think....

Offline bigboki

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Post a picture of it.
Serial number is on the headstock on the down / lower side

what kind of problems? What model of Parker you have / think you have?

hope this helps
yours Bojan

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
Post a picture of it.

Post more than one. Show the details clearly, front and back.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Zorsim

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
I think it's an PDF60B..
The finiton is not really good..
The bridge pick is not well fixed, the screws are useless. And the D tuner is broke, i can't explain that in english, but when i turn them he do an "crack" and the tune is not good sorry i can't explain well.
The screw for the straps are broken..

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:34:32 AM by Zorsim »

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
The PDF models are all built in Asia. I wouldn't worry about yours being fake... it's just poorly made.

Who sold it to you?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »
One thing I noticed is that yours has a slide switch for the pickups rather than the usual toggle switch... but some PDF60s are indeed made that way. I found another example:

https://reverb.com/item/681299-parker-pdf60-white

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »
Checking against my own PDF60, that serial number isn't a Parker SN, it's 10 digits instead of 9.  No country of origin stamp, and it's definitely not from a US model.

Also, the selector switch should be a three way toggle, not a lever switch.

There are other inconsistencies as well.  Hopefully, someone else can provide more info.

What model did the seller tell you it was?
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline Zorsim

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
I buy this guitar on Thomann : http://www.thomann.de/gb/parker_pdf60b.htm
That's exactly what i order.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
Checking against my own PDF60, that serial number isn't a Parker SN, it's 10 digits instead of 9.  No country of origin stamp, and it's definitely not from a US model.

Also, the selector switch should be a three way toggle, not a lever switch.

See my post above yours and the link therein. That one has the same type of switch and also has a serial number 'oddity' of some kind even though it's nine digits. It has a 'Made in China' sticker.

Is your own PDF60 missing a cover over the truss rod adjustment?

My personal guess is that these are all real, but have been manufactured in different ways, and very likely in different factories.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »
Here's another example with the slider/lever switch and missing truss rod cover:

http://www.milanuncios.com/guitarras-electricas/parker-pdf-series-pdf60wh-white-157092032.htm

More: Do the knobs and the contour of the upper horn look a little different? Notice that one...

... compared to this 'normal' one...

Hmm... Maybe we can't attribute this just to manufacturing differences after all. Maybe something else really is going on.

Was the PDF60 quietly 'refined' at some point?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:04:19 PM by sybersitizen »

Offline Zorsim

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
It's the same guitar (white) ! Ok it's just a china made guitar ? I had just no luck with the guitar ?  :-[
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:25:56 PM by Zorsim »

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »
Like syber, I don't think it's fake. I think they contracted out different factories and there's some minor variations, like serial no, switches and subtle cnc body shaping changes.

I also think it might have been a return to your dealer, with the broken straplocks and slipping d tuner.

The dealer should be able to help you out under warranty, and they are easy fixes.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Mr303

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Like syber, I don't think it's fake. I think they contracted out different factories and there's some minor variations, like serial no, switches and subtle cnc body shaping changes.

I also think it might have been a return to your dealer, with the broken straplocks and slipping d tuner.

The dealer should be able to help you out under warranty, and they are easy fixes.

I googled "Chinese Parker guitars" and found four manufacturers making custom logo Parker replicas. The YouTube videos of fake Parkers is helpful too.

Most fakes;
*have two back cavity covers, rectangular and a flattened oval,
*truss rods are finished like this one shows in the photo
*the upper horn has sharp angles not smoothly rounded like my Pdf's
*this nut is filed with round over and polishing on top.
    The stock PDF nuts are filed at an angle and are matte finished.
*the slots in the nut are rounded over not squarely cut.

The tuners are imprinted with sperzel on the PDF 105 and are unmarked with locking knurled aluminum backed knobs on my PDF 70.
As Dave stated the serial number and country of origin are curious but without a current year model in hand it's not possible to compare accurately.

Chinese makers will put any logo on anything like the pickups or serial numbers.

When looking for guitars I've found that some sellers refuse to post photos of serial numbers from fear of duplication by Chinese makers especially with desirable makes and models, usually Gibby's and Tele's but sometime Parkers.

I noticed this post and felt the need to chime in since I've kind of been burned by well done "replicas".

I'm not making any qualifications of what this guitar is or isn't I was bored drinking coffee and decided to do a little research.
Hope it helps.
Cheers

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:27:59 AM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »
Wow, that's great info, thanks for posting! 

I would still be surprised if a place like thomann unknowingly sold fakes though. Don't they have direct ties to USM?  Much more likely if there's 3rd parties or distributors involved.

Also not making any qualifications, especially after the info above, but regardless, I'd contact thomann about your issues with the tuner and straplocks.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Mr303

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 06:28:48 AM »
Wow, that's great info, thanks for posting! 

I would still be surprised if a place like thomann unknowingly sold fakes though. Don't they have direct ties to USM?  Much more likely if there's 3rd parties or distributors involved.

Also not making any qualifications, especially after the info above, but regardless, I'd contact thomann about your issues with the tuner and straplocks.

Even reputable dealers can get burned because of all the variety in makes and models.
 A retailer would rather have a happy customer than a bad review these days, so more than likely if anything is awry they will help correct the situation. Thomann has a good rep on here from want I gather reading the posts.
I love my Parker guitars, the others?, not so much.   8)
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90