Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Mojo vs DF824 and custom shop things!  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
Fly Mojo vs DF824 and custom shop things!
« on: June 05, 2015, 02:22:00 AM »
I was just pondering maybe getting a DF824. What are the necks like on these compared to the fly mojo (mines about 10 years old now)? I've heard a few things like the new centralised truss rod adjustment means they're slightly slimmer than my mojo, but all these comparisons seem to be on ones with the bolt-on radial neck (e.g. a DF524), not the reinforced one-piece type (on a DF824). Has anyone tried them both and compared them? I love my mojo neck, but I also love my old Jackson neck that is thinner and wider, so a slightly thinner fly neck could be great.

This also got me pondering how much extra it would be to have a custom color, and if it was a pre-stocked one (e.g. Red burst instead of tobacco burst) if there would be much price difference. Any idea?

I then also pondered what else might be cool if I spent more still for a dream guitar. Anyone know what can be done at sensible prices? I know it says speak to your Parker dealer. I'm in the UK so effectively my "local" one is in Germany at the moment so I hoped I could get some ideas before I start wasting anyone or everyone's time. Any idea if I could get larger frets? My old nitefly has bigger frets than my mojo. So would it be pretty easy to specify jumbo ones on the fly neck? I was also pondering could a flame top be done? I was daydreaming about a red-burst flame maple top (maybe mahogany) df824 with jumbo frets. May be far too much a price rise to stomach, but if the price was right that could be the one!
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Re: Fly Mojo vs DF824 and custom shop things!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
Custom is not much more expensive than stock, as nowadays, stock is more or less custom.  I don't know about larger frets.  Custom jobs are mostly aesthetic choices, wood choices, pick up choices.  The neck will be standard.  Flame is totally an option.
I think if you count on about 3-500 bucks more than the standard price you'll be in the ball-park.  You can always ask for a thinner neck and see whether come back with.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline Piplodocus

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 05:50:28 AM »
Apparently the person at USM said they're not officially accepting any more new orders.  :'( Very sad times.
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline jb63

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
That's not good.

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
Neither Parker or Washburn are taking custom orders, and they kind of made it sound like they're not planning on doing any more.  Ever.

I wanted Washburn to make me a P2 with a Parker glass fretboard.  I've seen a few Washburns with glass fretboards, but they're always trem-equipped.

I found out that the two (unsurprisingly) use the same shop for custom builds.  This makes me wonder if USM has simply decided to not build any more guitars in the US?  Ironic that a company called US Music would stop production in the US.

As far as the necks go, I just recently purchased a DF842.  The only real comparison that I have is my '93 Fly Deluxe.  The neck on the DF842 is maybe .02" thicker, and just a little rounder/less flat.

Other than that, it's basically a Fly Mojo with a different body style.  Very nice.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline Piplodocus

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »
The neck's kinda acedemic if I can't buy one.  :( So I just got another mojo since it's my last chance from what I can tell.  :)

I should have it Wednesday, but I was reading a post which implied all the latest flies use the larger frets the niteflys did. Anyone know if this is true? I guess I find out Wednesday, but I think I prefer the larger frets on my nitflies, so if this new one comes with slightly larger than my 2004, then I'm pretty pleased anyway.

Ive since heard rumours that they may just be going fully into distribution and manufacturing (I.e. Washburn and Parker) are effectively going extinct. Maybe it'll be sold again?

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »
The neck's kinda acedemic if I can't buy one.  :( So I just got another mojo since it's my last chance from what I can tell.  :)

Guitar Center and EBay always seem to have a DF824 or two around.  Mostly Vernon Reid models.  Pricey.

I should have it Wednesday, but I was reading a post which implied all the latest flies use the larger frets the niteflys did. Anyone know if this is true? I guess I find out Wednesday, but I think I prefer the larger frets on my nitflies, so if this new one comes with slightly larger than my 2004, then I'm pretty pleased anyway.

Ive since heard rumours that they may just be going fully into distribution and manufacturing (I.e. Washburn and Parker) are effectively going extinct. Maybe it'll be sold again?

They would need to find a buyer first.  The Washburn brand would probably be easier to find a buyer for than Parker.  Washburn makes recognizable guitars and has endorsers that people have heard of.

To most people who have even heard of Parkers, they are "that company that makes funny-looking guitars".  It also looks like they're now down to Adrian Belew as far as signature artists go.  Great player (one of the best) but not exactly a high profile endorsement.

As for the frets, the frets on my DF842 look to be the same size as the frets on my '93 Deluxe.  I'll have to get the calipers out...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:51:51 PM by taxguydave »
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 07:36:38 AM »
Just to shed a little light since most of you are "newer" to the forum (no offense of course), but Terry (over operations for Parker and Washburn etc) had basically told us 3-4 years ago to "get your custom while you can" because he didn't foresee them doing them forever. They have basically since then transitioned into bolt-on and all wood construction Parker's as their main guitars to push to the masses (reference their Facebook to confirm). It's strictly a cost saving production decision. The full carbon wrap was basically a profit-less guitar for them compared to everything else.

Unfortunately we don't hear much from Ryan or Terry on the forum anymore. But at one time when Terry was working very hard to save the Parker brand, we had a lot of discussion with him via the forum and email to help direct the new series that eventually became the DF guitars. I think I even was one of the first to suggest that the new headstock "shadow" the old headstock while retaining the mass of the new headstock.  But the new horn (for comfort) and truss rod (production) and pickup mounting (production) and headstock design (so stores can hand the Fly from a normal hanger)  were all designed around fixing complaints from the original design and making the guitar profitable to mass produce. 

I think the final product line we have in the DF series is going to be the last major design change and the DF1024 is going to be considered the high end Parker of the future. I would doubt that they would just stop producing the Parker line since now it's probably just as easy to produce as the Washburn line. I guess time will tell.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Piplodocus

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm aware of all that stuff. Parkers have been my main guitar for over 10 years, and was following them before they got refined (it was the mojo introduction that finally let me justify buying one). I just re-read what they told me to make sure I wasn't jumping to conclusions and I wasn't only fearing the worst from the way they put it. They told me "We are sorry we are no longer able to accept any orders for Parker guitars or custom Parker guitars. Our brand is going out of business soon". So no, I haven't jumped into buying a new Parker and getting a loan for no reason. It appears it's the end of the greatest guitar company of the late 20th/early 21st century. :(

And I heard a rumour Washburn may be going the same way since too from a friend (although I haven't spoken to anyone official about it). So, there won't be a line for the DF1024 to be top of.

Anyway, good job with the headstock shape suggestion. I love the fly shape, but do think the newer headstock makes it prettier overall.

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
... They told me "We are sorry we are no longer able to accept any orders for Parker guitars or custom Parker guitars. Our brand is going out of business soon".

Whoa... Sad to hear, but it helps to explain the longtime silence from official company reps. I guess it has to happen sometime.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm aware of all that stuff. Parkers have been my main guitar for over 10 years, and was following them before they got refined (it was the mojo introduction that finally let me justify buying one). I just re-read what they told me to make sure I wasn't jumping to conclusions and I wasn't only fearing the worst from the way they put it. They told me "We are sorry we are no longer able to accept any orders for Parker guitars or custom Parker guitars. Our brand is going out of business soon". So no, I haven't jumped into buying a new Parker and getting a loan for no reason. It appears it's the end of the greatest guitar company of the late 20th/early 21st century. :(

And I heard a rumour Washburn may be going the same way since too from a friend (although I haven't spoken to anyone official about it). So, there won't be a line for the DF1024 to be top of.

Anyway, good job with the headstock shape suggestion. I love the fly shape, but do think the newer headstock makes it prettier overall.

Well darn. I didn't realize you got that specific a response. That really does suck a big one if they are closing the Parker branch altogether.... :(
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
Whoa  :-\ more than a shame

Offline Piplodocus

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
I wasn't massively surprised tbh. I'd heard a rumour that it might be imminent from a friend. Hence why I thought it might be my last chance to get a custom so it was worth getting a loan for one. I obviously left it too late. When you figure the dead links and lack of updates on the website for ages, the tiny selection at NAMM, and the lack of profile generally in the music industry it hadn't been looking good for a while. I doubt Killswitch Engage's guitarist dropping his Parker endorsement after frets falling off helped. Washburn are less famous too these days, and the Dime signature going back to Dean can't have been great financially for USM from an artist visibility point of view. Even the contacts page on the Parker site was dead and I had to go to the USM page to get a contact email to ask about a custom. So I was convinced it was over when I read the email reply, but I didn't remember the exact wording of it when I posted the 2nd one. :/

Trying not to be too grumpy though as my 11th-hour trans-black Mojo Flame turns up tomorrow after the custom shop idea hit a dead end. http://worldguitars.co.uk/fly-mojo-flame-trans-black :) So my main trans-blue mojo flame with Bare Knuckles in is getting a 10-year younger sister mojo tomorrow, and their cousins the Southern Nitefly and Nitefly SA will keep me sorted for tele and strat flavours. Currently the MidiFly is still in bits as my project to update it to the finest MIDI guitar the world has ever seen is very slow going! I'll no doubt post pics and details when it's done as that's more Parker excitement in the coming months. Maybe I have enough Parkers now anyway, I certainly don't have any money left!  :o

Still. Very sad. Would be nice to hear some kinda proper announcement. Maybe some guitar mags might do a goodbye article or two and final hurrah for them so they go out with the final fanfare they deserve considering how revolutionary they were. No moon missions anymore. No way for passengers to fly transatlantic supersonic anymore. Now no more Parkers anymore. People don't think so big these days. Too busy looking at pics of cats on the internet and trying to follow the crowd.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
I've called Parker more than I should have these last six months just so the phone rang on the other end and hopefully a Parker employee would answer. 

Real enthusiastic Parker employees quit responding about 4 months ago.

The last time I also had to call USM directly to get connected with some one who sorta kinda acted like a Parker rep. but not really.

I guess just be grateful if you have a Parker or two.
 I go to places like Guitar Center only to buy strings and accessories now since that wall 'o geetars holds no allure.
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 10:30:37 AM »
I talked to Ryan, they did indeed shut down USA production. Last shipment was sent and posted here. Guess that's all she wrote for US Parkers... http://musicstorelive.com/shopby/?manufacturer=148&custom=true&cat=11
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...