Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ribbon cable to hardware re-wire  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Felstead

Ribbon cable to hardware re-wire
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
I've looked around everywhere for some drawings or an aid of some kind to change the wiring in my Parker fly, the pots are loose as ****. I want to be free to modify the guitar As I like after the re wire, to make it mine. Does anyone have any drawings of a new circuit after a rewire? Does anyone have any ideas, I could probably sit and work it out but it would take ages. I'm no beginner to wiring I've got a HNC in electronics and I've done many guitar rewires, just not a Parker.

Let's make this a great thread full of info, on a topic I've been told cannot be done. If you're like me this will make you want to do it more.

Thanks,

Jake

Re: Ribbon cable to hardware re-wire

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
I've looked around everywhere for some drawings or an aid of some kind to change the wiring in my Parker fly...

Everywhere? A forum search for 'fly wiring diagram' or 'fly schematic' brings up several pages of links that describe and illustrate a number of wiring variations.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline taxguydave

• Don't force it! Use a bigger hammer.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
I do almost all of my wiring "on the Fly", no diagrams.  I suppose I could draw one if anyone's interested.

I must have tried about 50 (well, a dozen, anyway) wiring schemes on my '93 Deluxe hardtail.  It can get fun, because they already drilled 6 holes in the durned things for controls.  I've spent mucho time on it, because I've tried several possibilities with Ghost, Fishman Powerchip, and EMG's PB3 buffer.

I finally settled on the Fishman Powerchip.  By far the best sound. Controls, top to bottom:

Mag pu selector
Dual coil tap
mag volume
master tone
Powerchip volume
mag/pu selector

Don't forget--if it's pre-refined, the switch on the bottom makes a great bypass switch for sending the mags straight to output.

I can post pics and maybe even try to draw a wiring diagram if anyone's interested.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline Felstead

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:38:11 AM »
That sounds awesome! Have you de soldered the white housings for the ribbon cables? Could you send a picture of the wiring in your fly please? This will help loads, I want to see how you've done it. I don't think I need a schematic I just don't want to tear it apart and find out I've broke it... Spares seem hard to come by

Offline taxguydave

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
That sounds awesome! Have you de soldered the white housings for the ribbon cables? Could you send a picture of the wiring in your fly please? This will help loads, I want to see how you've done it. I don't think I need a schematic I just don't want to tear it apart and find out I've broke it... Spares seem hard to come by

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

I removed the ribbon cable assembly almost intact.  I think that the only desoldering I had to do was on the stereo/mono selector switch, and the output jack.  Everything else stayed together, and I removed the whole ribbon cable assembly in one piece.  I broke one of the ribbon cables in the process--they can be very brittle.  But they're not really that difficult to fix, depending on where the break occurred.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »
BTW, guys, those are properly called flex cables. Ribbon cables suggest something else. You can google the terms and see the preferred usage.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline taxguydave

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
I spent a few years working on 70's to 90's video games and pinballs for a living.  That's why I can do wiring with no diagrams or schematics.  Once you've modded a pinball machine on site, guitar wiring isn't much of a challenge.

The term "ribbon cable" was used to describe more than one sort of cable.  "Flex cables" would be one of them.  Another type would be the cables with the insulated wires fused together in a--ribbon.  If I had ever used the term "flex cable" in the shops I worked in, I probably would have received a blank stare or two in return.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline taxguydave

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 01:35:58 AM »
So here are the requested pics:

This is the cavity as currently configured.

This is a close up of the two switches at the top of the cavity.  One micro on-on-on toggle switch (mag selector), one DPDT mini switch (dual coil tap).

The rest of the cavity.  I pulled the Powerchip and the end switch (I replaced the original with a DPDT toggle) so that you can see the wiring a little better.

Left to right--mag selector switch, coil tap switch, mag volume, master tone, piezo volume, mag/both/piezo selector.  Bypass switch is on the end of the guitar.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS

Offline Felstead

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:19 AM »
Dude you are a legend uploading those pictures, I now know for define we have to use that little fishman power chip. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this, I don't think I'm going to need a drawing now I've seen that, looks good.

Offline taxguydave

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
Dude you are a legend uploading those pictures, I now know for define we have to use that little fishman power chip. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this, I don't think I'm going to need a drawing now I've seen that, looks good.

Hope your project goes well.  You can always PM  me if you need any more help.
'09 DF842
'93 Fly Deluxe Hardtail
'08 PM20
'09 PM20
'13 PDF70
'09 PMS