Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How come so many names  (Read 2603 times)

Offline HEADKNOCKER

How come so many names
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
Well here's the question..
I have a PDF60, but is it a Dragonfly, Maxxfly or neither?
I've looked at some Parkers on Reverb & eBay & there seems to be so many of the same guitars listed as Maxxfly, Dragonfly or PDF?
Prices range from $400 to $6000
I know there's USA Made & Korean, Indo China etc.

I also @$$ume that PDF stands for Parker Dragon Fly

So what is a PDF60? An Indonesian made radial neck basswood Maxxfly/Dragonfly??
I read about Parker not being able to use the name "Dragonfly" because of copyright infringement 

So is there an answer or maybe there isn't?

I @$$umed my Guitar is PDF60 first by the cost, the color, knob placement..

How about year of production on the Indonesian Guitars?? Serial #??

Too many questions Huh??

Thanks & Enjoy!!

BTW This Parker is a great guitar for the money = $100, But so are several of my/our other guitars..
Love finding a deal on instruments..
Gary/Hk

Parker PDF60W
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Re: How come so many names

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
$100 is a steal.

The original name of the strat-shaped Parker was Dragonfly.  The name was already in use by another company and they had to change it to Maxxfly. (Terrible name).
The DF model numbers stuck though.  DF are made in the US and PDF are Asian imports.  For a DF724 is a US Radial neck Maxxfly.  The PDF 105 is a Asian made guitar.  Like yours.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline Bry Guy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
Fernandes already had a guitar called the Dragonfly. That's why Parker had to drop the name mid production. Some Parkers (like mine) made it out with a Dragonfy label before the change was made.

I think it's prety safe to say that DF100s and below are imports, DF400s and up are American.

I might be missing some models....

Offline jester700

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:07:40 AM »
Fernandes already had a guitar called the Dragonfly. That's why Parker had to drop the name mid production. Some Parkers (like mine) made it out with a Dragonfy label before the change was made.

I think it's prety safe to say that DF100s and below are imports, DF400s and up are American.

I might be missing some models....
You're right about the numbers, but all import model numbers also start with P. (PDF vs. DF)

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:38 AM »
On these guitars nowhere does it say, is it printed/marked what model # they are..
A connoisseur of Parkers knows from across the room but a newbie has no clue what they are looking at..
Some have a Truss Rod Cover with a model # though that I've seen..
The Indo China ones are marked as such & the USA Models have that either painted or stamped..

But to be fair, Most guitars aren't marked what model they are..
My Gibson Les Paul Model says that on the headstock BUT it is in actuality a Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite with M-III Electronics..

1994 Gibson Studio Lite M-III

Lovin the Parker PDF60
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:39:31 PM by HEADKNOCKER »
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline Bry Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 06:33:11 AM »
True. Models aren't marked on the guitar at all, especially the PDFs (thanks Jester for the clarification!)

Offline jester700

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 08:37:54 AM »
True. Models aren't marked on the guitar at all, especially the PDFs (thanks Jester for the clarification!)
Generally true. There are a few early American made Dragonflies that say "dragonfly" next to the serial number. I have one. This might be preproduction; I'm not sure. The color isn't standard, that's for sure.

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
The Parker PDF60 has been getting a lot of play in the last couple weeks..

It has become one of my Sons Favorite players..

ROCK ON PARKER!!

"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
I bought a DF when they were still being advertised with the name Dragonfly, but it had no name anywhere on the guitar other than Parker and Seymour Duncan.

It cracked after the warranty expired, and Parker asked me to send it back so they could fix it.

It cracked in the same place well over a year after the warranty expired and Parker replaced it with a brand new one - they even paid return shipping.

This was unexpected customer support. It delighted me so much that I bought a second DF guitar, this one custom built with Duncan P-Rail pickups.

These are amazing guitars. So easy to play it's almost like cheating. My Gibson, Epi, and LTD are jealous because they never get played anymore.

I use the DF524NS at home and take the DF522NN to the gig.

The picture was taken with an old phone, they are really more honey colored than they look in this picture.

I still haven't figured out how to get some good sound clips into my computer. Always static. When I get some time away from gigging and learning new songs, I'll try again to isolate the problem.

Insights and incites by Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida