Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repair separating/lifting fretboard on a Parker Fly  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Antanael

Repair separating/lifting fretboard on a Parker Fly
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:59:54 AM »
People Hi,
Until last year i was the pretty happy owner of a 2009 Parker Fly Deluxe i acquired as a second hand in 2010.
After having some unglueing fret (solved), and the piezo switch working bad (without being able to replace it because of the ribbonwire used, and not wanting to convert the whole electronics to keep original conception...), i realize two months ago my fretboard edge cracked and the fretboard is making a noise on the 8th fret when applying a slight pressure, like the one a guitarist is applying while playing).
Is there anything i could do to repair it ? Is there any Tech in France, please ?

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:22:07 AM by Antanael »

Re: Repair separating fretboard on a 2009 Fly in France

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:00:01 AM »
Not sure with regards to a tech in France but there are a couple in the UK, e.g. http://www.caguitarworks.co.uk/ (I should say that I've not used CA in terms of recommendation)

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:48:53 AM »
This needs to go back to USM for repair.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Antanael

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:20:35 AM »
Thanks Luc, unfortunately, here is the answer i received this morning...

"Sadly, Parker has closed its production and repair facility in July.

We can see by the edges of the fingerboard that the paint line has broken.  But we can't tell if there is more than that.

If it is just the paint edge, you can seal it with thin superglue.  If it is only lifting slightly, you can also wick some super glue into the voided area and clamp the board in the voided area.

We are hoping it can be resolved with one of the above solutions."

*sig*

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
That's a bummer. They won't warranty their work??? Even closed they should honor their shoddy work if the fret board is indeed lifting.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »
Right. The problem is that the PEOPLE are gone who can do this job.  Unfortunately, that's what happens when a company goes down. The people, the technology, the know-how gets lost.
A good tech can do what they recommend.  There are some good luthiers in France.  Even a good carpenter or a furniture repair guy who does marquetry would be able to do this and has the right tools.
Good luck.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline Antanael

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
Hi there.

For any european Parker Aficionado, after many searches, going places (!), questionning here and there, it seems Christophe Leduc, settled near our countries boundaries could do the job.

Leduc is a famous luthier who used compound materials for his own creations. Check it out here : http://www.leduc.fr/

Cheers !

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
I can't help locate a tech in Europe, but I'm sure they can be found. I recall a post years back of a luthier in France that repaired a Fly with a headstock that was snapped completely off. Good luck in your search, there's talent out there.

I wanted to chime in to let you know that if your Fly is indeed a 2009, it will not have ribbon cables inside. Starting in 2003 all Flys were wired point-to-point, like any "normal" guitar.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
I wanted to chime in to let you know that if your Fly is indeed a 2009, it will not have ribbon cables inside. Starting in 2003 all Flys were wired point-to-point, like any "normal" guitar.

Good sleuthing!

Antanael, tell us your Fly's serial number and show us a photo of the body.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Antanael

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay. Gotta say i didn't used my Parker for a long time now, being very frustrated by this fretboard issue;

I cant take a picture right now, but i do have ribbon cables; if i was not, i would have change my erratic piezo switch sooner. By ribbon cable i mean the sames as these :
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=4743.0

....and i totally was mistaken ! i just opened the Fly and of course, you were right guys, solid cables not ribboned at all. seems i mistook with an old 1996 model i had (in bad shape) before i bought this one... That means i CAN replace the switch myself... very good news *rolling up my sleeves*...

and for the body, here is an old video i made once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adX8_lldg7w

have a nice week !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:11:32 PM by Antanael »

Offline Antanael

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 03:00:06 AM »
Hi there,
After a whole year (time flies...and put the Fly in its case and forgot about it, playing others guitars) i recently sent it to Christophe Deluc.

Christophe told me the problem could be corrected without doubt in little time by regluing the fretboard, including a nice laquer fix on the side, to fix the crack.
The guitar will also have a full checkup ( the 12th fret has already been reglued 2 years ago, Christophe will check up all the other frets), and a fret leveling (as i wrongly level it up myself before realizing it was unglued and up 0.1mm on the high E side). No need to refret it all. The leveling on stainless steel frets will live for years.

All for less than 300$, indicative. see below : the problem was larger than expected

--
Now for owners, here is a quote of Wikipedia concerning Parker factory situation at this very time

In 2015 company representatives unofficially announced that Parker's US factory had ceased operations, saying a search for a new manufacturing facility was underway. Since then, no new Fly models have been produced, but it is unclear whether other Parker-branded imports are still being manufactured in Asia.

As of late 2015, Parker has released several special edition Flys. There has been the Fly Mojo Snakeskin where a stock Fly Mojo was covered in snakeskin. Also were the 4 seasons Fly Mojos which were Mojos made corresponding to the season. Also released under the select series was the koa Fly Mojo.

As of November 2016, the brand was inactive after the factory in Illinois closed. The official website stated that product line was being redesigned for release in 2017 once a new manufacturing partner was found.

As i am a keeper, i think i'll keep this Parker, cause beside the fact it is an incredible instrument, will become a collection isntrument without a doubt.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:23:07 AM by Antanael »

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
Looking forward to see the final product from Leduc.  Seems like someone who knows his business!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Re: Repair separating/lifting fretboard

Offline Antanael

Re: Repair separating/lifting fretboard
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 03:20:10 AM »
Sooo. Sorry for the long time since my last news.
As i wasnt in a hurry, I will get my Parker back tomorrow (Leduc had a lot of work, and i specified i wasnt in a hurry)
Here is a feedback.
-Few frets were ungluing (3 actually)
-A full planification was done
-now the big issue :

Actually, it seems the wood neck impregnation with epoxy doesn't last, and somehow (temperature we both believe) : after a precise checking, it appears the whole fretboard wasn't straight and parallel anymore to the neck due to epoxy that migrates slowly back from the wood to the surface (i hope i am clear in my explanations) : the glue was getting back between wood and fretboard unevenly, creating like little uneven thicknesses that -to my opinion here- contributed to unglueing the frets too.

Thing is that behavior seemed very weird to Leduc, but i got to admit the guitar was standing in a upper room that comes pretty hot during the summer (+30°C >40°C). Maybe is it + a building process/materials flaw. Humidity isn't an issue here i think as it varies from 50% to 65% through the year.

The whole fix cost me a bit less than 500€ (so : making the right tool, reglueing the fretboard, checking and reglueing 3 frets, fretboard & neck finish, fret planification, setup).

I cant wait to play it tomorrow. I hope it will last without moving anymore...love the instrument but such issue is clearly a design flaw... maybe is it explaining parker's actual situation considering the failure here and technical debt to their customers.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:26:18 AM by Antanael »

Re: Repair separating/lifting fretboard on a Parker Fly

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
Mmmm, I think it would need to get a lot hotter than 40 C to effect the epoxy. My wild guess would be some sort of chemical reaction goin on.
Anyway, interesting info, hope it all turns out well!
BS
PS Planification.... Has to do with planning, as in town planning etc, as I believe it does in French.(Although i've never heard of the word before now, sounds suspiciously like one of those words office people make up to make boring crap sound important) "Planing"(one n, pronounced "plaining") is using a plane to eg flatten a piece of wood. "Levelling" is what is done to a fretboard to level the frets.
Not trying to be smartass here, just helping a brother out.
Anyway, i'm off, my associates and i have some rehearsalisation scheduled...
;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:05:41 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »
Agree with big swifty regarding heat not causing this.

I suspect that your guitar may have been part of the batch with defective epoxy. (Usm had a defective supply from the manufacturer a number of years back 2008/9?)

They were fixing these under warranty (and a few beyond), it's really unfortunate you didn't catch it before the factory shut down.

Glad you were able to get it fixed though!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]