Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frankenstein: 2000 Ken Parker Era NF and 2015 Fishman Fluence HS + Powerbridgfe  (Read 825 times)

Offline dannybwheeler

I've been swapping several PUPS in and out of my project Nitefly, recently at a demo I was able to try out the Fishman Fluence single and humbuckers. Fishman made the original powerbridge and chip used on all Parkers, which were revolutionary for the time they were made.

Well, Larry Fishman just patented and produced the first guitar pickup that uses printed coils instead of WOUND coils. Which means that the analog-failures of mass produced pickups have been entirely engineered out. Manually winding coils is a nigh impossible task to have done the same EVERY time, so you'll naturally find wide variances...P90's are famous for this . Same with BareKnuckles. They still sound great, but with different qualities. Slightly overwound/underwound. Little tighter wrap/looser etc.

Printing the coil onto a circuitboard essentially removes the guesswork. To the point where Fishman added coil voicing abilities, which essentially allows you to switch between a regular sound and a brighter/higher wound sound.

So I got a Modern Fluence Humbucker Alcino for the bridge and a Fluence Single coil for the neck.

This also means completely rewiring the entire guitar, as it will now use 3 (!!!) active pickups, and the need to voice both mags with a coil voice push pull, and a 5 way switch for selection, a volume on each H and S, and a master tone.

I worked on coming up with a schematic with Frank from Fishman, and just about ready to put in all the new guts. Once I've finished I'll share the schematics.

Re: Frankenstein: 2000 Ken Parker Era NF and 2015 Fishman Fluence HS + Powerbridgfe

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
Other than being active, I like the concept.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Re: Frankenstein: 2000 Ken Parker Era NF and 2015 Fishman Fluence HS + Powerbridgfe

Offline dannybwheeler

I hear ya. I hate changing batteries and my ears generally prefer large magnet single coils. These single coils from Fishman very musical, and sound as thick as any Stratocaster I have. I went alnico instead of ceramics at the bridge because I like the wider dynamics and you can generally EQ out a ceramics sound, but not vise versa.

I'm going to go Costco and load up on 9Vs. I'm sure I'll run through them in a couple hours at a time with 3 active pups on one battery. ....maybe I'll add another battery .