Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Meanwhile....  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Big Swifty

Meanwhile....
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »
Circuses, just can't keep away from 'em...

94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Re: Meanwhile....

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
Awesome!  Parker and Fractal make the world smile!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:04:30 PM »

94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline jb63

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
Those pics made me ridiculously happy.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Those pics made me ridiculously happy.
And more than a bit jealous!
Lucky guy that Swifty.....
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
Still doing the Circus Oz thing Swifty? Or is this a new gig?

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »
Nah, this is a kinda once a year event, Batton and Broadway present The Classics!

Only for performers over 50!

Great fun had by all, the older they get, the whackier it gets...mostly.

My personal favourite, a guitar solo-ish version of Bolero, you know, when ur a three piece band and the solo trapeze gal says she wants Bolero....but only 3.5 minutes long, but especially the end bit, and can it start really quiet, and etc etc.

There's video around, i'll try dig it up.

Great that it makes people happy, playing makes me happy that's for sure, despite all the ****ing around it takes to actually get on stage somewhere.

Anywhere!

As for luck...well...i think luck is saying yes.

That and being born/living in an opulent and stable country.

Anyways, I'll try dig up some snaps from another recent ground-breaking event for your general entertainment...Afrobics!

When Aerobics meets Afrobeat...

And finally, the other night i was at a local bar some buddies were playing at, and this bloke who i only vaguely recognised introduced me to his mate as "Melbournes premier exponent of the Parker Fly Guitar"

Streuth! (as we say  around here)

However, upon reflection, i probably am the only person in Melbourne gigging with a Fly, so there you go, i reckon we could all claim the same fame, just substitute your own town's name...

OK, i'll shut up now...

Ciao

B.S.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:25:45 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
awesome, love it, looks a ton of fun!

and much truth in what you wrote about happiness, luck, etc. at least in my 40some years of experience on this planet.

Would love to see a vid if you have one.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline mutronboy

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »
Great pics Big Swifty! Looks like fun
I attended a show in the Spiegeltent for the first time this year at Sydney Festival, nice setup
Was your show in Sydney?, or did they move the tent to Melbourne? (maybe there's one in each city heh)

BTW, were you in the original Big Swifty? (pre-Radiators) Or is it in reverence to Uncle Frank?
'85 Parker Fly prototype * Trev Wilkinson strat * Kinman Blueprint strat * MJT Strat, Tele, Telemaster & Jazz Bass * Gilet 00-45 * Gilet resonator * Ceriatone Overtone Special * BF Super Reverb * Pignose 30/60 * HK Tube Rotosphere * CAE Wah * MI Blue Boy Deluxe * QTron+

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 05:19:58 AM »
No, this was Melbourne, there's several Spiegletents in Australia, and the rest in Europe, originally made by a Belgium company around the 1920's i believe.
The one in Sydney for the festival was The Famous Speigletent, and travels with shows to various festivals around the place.
The one in Melbourne in the pics is The Melba Spiegletent, and is permanently set up next to the Circus Oz building.
They're great venues, very atmospheric, can be a bit tricky to get too much stuff in there, not much in the way of backstage. Originally cabaret and travelling dance halls.
If you get inside an empty one and stand right in the centre you fully get the surround magnified reflected sound/reverb effect when you speak, like a really short thick plate verb. You can hear it suddenly come on over two or three steps. Fascinating for audio nerds, not so much for anyone else though, apparently...

Am I the original Big Swifty?!?!

Well, yeah!

But no, not related to the pre-Radiators band Big Swifty. I'm a Melbourne lad, born and bred. Well, with a bit of Greece and Romania thrown in...

Did live in Sydney for about 12 years, in fact i think you mutronboy and I communicated very briefly about i remember not what once, possibly on this forum..many years ago now.

Big Swifty is a handle i use for various and occasional creative bits and pieces, for instance this (now archived) ABC "collaboration" i did whilst in Sydney...

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/97242/20090402-1222/www.kerriejean.com.au/category/kj-swifty-the-project/index.html

There's a couple of still working links in that page to the two "seminal" l tracks i produced "Jesus i could do with a root" and the Christmassy "They're your bloody family" (Also available on iTunes!) along with copious bullbolagna.
Or B.S.
Which may stand for Big Swifty...

Ahh, good times...

Yep, Frank has been a major source of inspiration to me, i try continue my version of the legacy he left us at every opportunity (especially there guitar solo part!) and maybe add a little here and there...you know, leave a little tip to help the next poor sucker on his one way trip..

:-)

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline mutronboy

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »
Thanks for the info about the Spiegeltent Swifty, and nice to meet a fellow Zappaphile
I enjoyed the 'Jesus I Could Do With A Root', especially the panned Mutron!
I played in Petulant Frenzy for years (guitar mallets & keys), I enjoy playing the Frank stuff but trying to do my own thing now

I had this custom pedal made from one of my fave album covers, heh

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:52:32 PM by mutronboy »
'85 Parker Fly prototype * Trev Wilkinson strat * Kinman Blueprint strat * MJT Strat, Tele, Telemaster & Jazz Bass * Gilet 00-45 * Gilet resonator * Ceriatone Overtone Special * BF Super Reverb * Pignose 30/60 * HK Tube Rotosphere * CAE Wah * MI Blue Boy Deluxe * QTron+

Offline Mr303

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 07:35:01 AM »
Thanks for the info about the Spiegeltent Swifty, and nice to meet a fellow Zappaphile
I enjoyed the 'Jesus I Could Do With A Root', especially the panned Mutron!
I played in Petulant Frenzy for years (guitar mallets & keys), I enjoy playing the Frank stuff but trying to do my own thing now

I had this custom pedal made from one of my fave album covers, heh

My vinyl  record collection began with 5 Zappa albums given to me by a friend who's Baptist mother thought they were "evil". 
Of course the Zoot Allures cover was a shocker for a southern belle, holier than thou, ministers wife.

I played Pojama People and my conservative Dad even sat down to listen, he didn't understand it but he knew the music was good. Hot rats is still incredible music.  Peaches en Regalia so sweet. Freak Out was first double album release.  I miss FZ's perspective musically and socially.   I'm babbling....
Oh yeah nice custom pedal.....really good tribute.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:41:21 AM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline mutronboy

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the story Mr 303, I miss Frank too
That pedal is a clone of the Systech Harmonic Generator, which Frank used to get that nasally sound on 'Pojama People'

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
OMG love that pedal. BIG Zappa fan here as well  :)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
That pedal is a clone of the Systech Harmonic Generator, which Frank used to get that nasally sound on 'Pojama People'

I made a clone of that a few years ago. Fun to mess around with