Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it all about image?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline NathanO

Is it all about image?
« on: March 09, 2005, 11:17:36 AM »
Sorry about all these random topics [;)]

Just wondered your opinion on image in the music industry. I think that image is not an important thing about being a popular musician but it seems that in modern day music (if you know what i mean), image seems to be important. I do not think that most of the highly rated singers there are about today would not be likes as much as they are if it was not for their image.

What are your views?

NathanO.com - Coming soon!

Regards,

Nathan

Is it all about image?

Offline Binner

Is it all about image?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:26:21 AM »
I would agree with that. If it wasn't for Antares AutoTune, we may have been spared a lot of "pop" stars. There are quite a few young pop stars that can't sing well at all. They sound barely tolerable on recordings, then really show their lack of skill/talent when performing live. Look at a singer like Meatloaf, I don't think he made it on image, that guy can sing. Then you have Ashley Simpson....exact opposite. Terrible, what would Mozart say to this crap....
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12
Peavey 4x12 with two V30s and 2 G12T 75s
SWR Bass 750 with Mesa 4x10 and 1x15
Mesa Bass 400+
...and a bunch of other stuff

Is it all about image?

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
Is it all about image?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:49:50 AM »
I'm afraid boys and girls that Mozart has already flipped in his grave several times!!! The mark of a good singer IMHO is not at all about image but what's in the pipes. Does he/she have natural tone and a sweetness to their voice? If so then they would be able to sing with or without fx on their vocals and it would sound good. However, thanks to the MTV "it's all about me" generation of manufactured crap that has been coming out for the last several years there was no end in sight to the madness. It looks like the tides are finally starting to turn again when it's not about strictly image but TALENT! I gave up on mainstream radio long ago. I listen to a wide variety of music and look and listen for talent. Guitarists are actually playing solos again!!! A ton of musicians are doing in on their own terms and the quality of music is climbing. I guess it really is cyclic that revolves. Here's to independence, individuality, and talent!!!

Cheers,
Kevin S.
www.burningindecember.com
Kevin Schertell
www.burningindecember.com
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

Is it all about image?

Offline austin

Is it all about image?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 09:04:51 PM »
Popular music has ALWAYS been about image. Do you think white artists got popular doing black music because their versions of the songs were superior?

Having said that, I do think modern media and technolgy have made the problem worse, by making it easier to get pretty faces out there and easier to compensate for their lack of talent.

-Austin

--
Early 99" Parker Fly Deluxe, upgraded with new model Dimarzios and full humbucking in the middle position

Is it all about image?

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
Is it all about image?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 11:07:14 PM »
ashley simpson stands for everything i loathe: nepatism, opprotunism, manufactured art, dadaism, etc.  but you know, there have always been people like her and there always will be.

fortunately, there will also always be the real thing; you just have to dig a little deeper.

this is the place for random topics!  keep posting them! [:)]

Is it all about image?

Offline dave_r

Is it all about image?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:32:05 AM »
I agree, The music industry is a business, the record companies are essentially selling a product! so what they do is package the music, image to appeal to their target demographics.  It tends to be cyclical (like fashion) for a period of time one 'genre' will be most popular, once that stagnates another tends to come along.  

pop music is just that, popular!!! Also there tends to be sub-groups, that stay loyal to one type of music (like brand loyalty), typically I find, that these tend to be the stereotypical rebellious teenager types.  Think of how many Goths you see, what age ranges do they tend to fall in (broadly speaking) or punk/skater types.

Is this a bad thing? I dont know, is it wrong to be passionate about music? no! I beleive its a goood thing. Is jus a shame that its so protracted!

Well thats my opinion anyway, for what its worth!

Is it all about image?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Is it all about image?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 07:18:19 AM »
the human brain is programmed at a subconscious level to be more receptive and accommodating to a good looking face.  it is caveman instinct/ first impressions type stuff.  you can'thelp it,unless you can consciously suppress your instinct.  remmeber that the older stars we love made it before video and MTV.  we heard them on the radio and we made up our minds based on how they sounded before we heard them.

i know there are lots of exceptions but it is generally the case.  

but look at The Darkness (have you heard of them in America yet?)- flippin ugly bloke,but he rocks like a demon!! Samewith  Mark Knopfler
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Is it all about image?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Is it all about image?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 07:20:45 AM »
sorry i didn't mean to say that mark knopfler rocks like a demon - he doesn't.  he rocks more like a chair these days.  but what a a player!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Is it all about image?

Offline bostjan

Is it all about image?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
yeah, we have the darkness here in the states, or at least we did...

i always though 'yes' was a pretty homely troupe, but they can play circles around britney spears.

Is it all about image?

Offline Roland

Is it all about image?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »
Aren't we confusing 'music' with 'popular music industry'.  It's similar to confusing the food I grow in my garden to the packaged food industry.  There are overlaps and similarities, but that's all.  They provide different products to different markets. The music industry makes a lot of its income from non-music products.

I guess the music that most of us play in pubs and bars was written by people in the music industry.  However we're pretty selective about what we play.  Songs that have achieved long term survivor status in western culture must represent around 1% of what the industry turns out.

Anyway, who's Ashley Simpson?

Roland
Roland
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/

Is it all about image?

Offline bostjan

Is it all about image?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 10:22:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Roland

Aren't we confusing 'music' with 'popular music industry'.  It's similar to confusing the food I grow in my garden to the packaged food industry.  There are overlaps and similarities, but that's all.  They provide different products to different markets. The music industry makes a lot of its income from non-music products.
Anyway, who's Ashley Simpson?

Roland

not confusing, the original post said 'music industry.'
remember milli vanilli?  take one of them and make them into a white female who cannot dance and blames her lip-synch tape getting stuck on her band by saying 'the band started playing the wrong song.'  add other annoying quotes like 'i never wanted to be a rockstar anyway, i want to be a movie star.'  then make her sister a talented singer and you've got ashlee simpson.

sorry to all of the ashlee simpson fans for slamming your gal, but it's all true and i hate her. [:p]  if you get to know me, you'll find out that there is actually little music i hate. [:)]

Is it all about image?

Offline Rozz

• http://www.myspace.com/slicknickelbandyuamaz
Is it all about image?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 12:53:52 PM »
I support getting back to the music.  I have people dancing by me at the club sometimes who yell for me to smile and look like i'm having fun.  What they don't know is that I can either smile and play like bolagna or go back into my drool laden trance and give them some ear candy.  And who ever coined rappers as musicians needs to be shot.  I think they may be poets who hang out with bored and loud bassist, but there's little music involved.
People still want good music I believe.  Just look at the Eagles...The number one touring group in the world.....still.  May God Bless the Real Musicians!

Jerry Rosner
Yuma, Arizona Mad Man
Jerry Rosner
Original Yuma, Arizona Mad Man
Emerald Green Fly Classic
P-36
Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon
Line Six Vetta II
Genz Benz Shannandoah Acoustic Amp.  4X10

Is it all about image?

Offline loumt123

Is it all about image?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
I think the music industry is beggining to improve. Bands with talent are becoming more mainstream now. Los Lonely boys and Silvertide are pretty good for new bands.

Is it all about image?

Offline bno

Is it all about image?
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 06:05:36 PM »
The music industry is just that - a manufacturing process for the creation of products that will be consumed by the largest population segment possible.  Packaging has always been important in the marketing of any product.  Every band/artist has an image they want to project that is a reflection of their attitudes and music.  The industry looks for products that can be easily packaged and meets the requirements of the flavor of the month.  It has little to do with musical talent.  

What I think what we're lamenting here is the fact that production tools have become extraordinarily adept at compensating for gross deficiencies in the one quality that could never before be faked - the human voice.  Before you had to at least be able to scream in tune.  Now all you have to do is be a pretty package.

Parker - the only way to Fly!  
Battleship Gray '94 Fly Deluxe wearing Elixer Polyweb 10-46
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Is it all about image?

Offline JSanta

Is it all about image?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 06:00:10 PM »
A few years ago, Billy Joel said that if he were to be starting in the music industry today, there would be no chance for him because he is not nearly attractive enough.  Since MTV bombarded the airwaves, image has become extremely important.  However there are plenty of black and death metal bands that must have a certain image to attract an audience.  Only bands like Opeth get away with their talent alone.  It all depends on the kind of music.  People that like fusion, metal, progressive rock, etc... generally don't care about what the band members look like, as long as they produce great music.  But young kids, teenagers, and dirty old men want to see good looking people singing pop songs, otherwise, the performers would be out of work.  Oh, and as far as the pitch correct feature used to record singers, it can be used to fix a pitch that is very close to the wanted pitch.  If a person is singing completely out of tune, there really isn't much that can be done.  If the timbre of their voice isn't so great though, effects processors work wonders.  Just my two-cents.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha