Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it all about image?  (Read 5374 times)

Offline loumt123

Is it all about image?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 07:21:57 PM »
Technology is amazing..isn't it? The music industry isn't pure talent anymore, it's a shame. [:(]

Is it all about image?

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
Is it all about image?
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 07:33:48 PM »
I think that image is the only reason we dont see more Parkers in videos and on Pro Stages. I think we all agree itis the ultimate guitar. so if you were a megamillionaire with virtually unlimited funds for guitars. would you not always want to use the ultimate?
Now dont get me wrong I personally LOVE the fly shape but I hear alot of people saying its weird or ugly or in the nicest term the can muster "it's....Different."  I would hazard a guess that this is why we dont see more flys in use. It's all about image baby!

Only through death may one truly live!
(soon to have 2005 Mojo Flame)
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Is it all about image?

Offline JSanta

Is it all about image?
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »
The Fly is a deviation from traditional-looking guitars.  Many guitarists I have spoke to loved my Parker but actually thought it was too light.  I am not really sure if the looks make them unpopular in the pop music industry.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Is it all about image?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Is it all about image?
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 05:28:19 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno
 production tools have become extraordinarily adept at compensating for gross deficiencies in the (qualities) that could never before be faked

hit the nail on the head!!  succinctly and eloquently put!( i paraphrased a little)
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Is it all about image?

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
Is it all about image?
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 06:42:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JSanta

The Fly is a deviation from traditional-looking guitars.  Many guitarists I have spoke to loved my Parker but actually thought it was too light.  

So they'd prefer to lug 18 lbs of Les Paul about all night??? [:D]

2001 Fly Classic -> Ibanez WD7 wah -> Behringer V-Ampire head -> two 1x12 Fane cabinets
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Is it all about image?

Offline JSanta

Is it all about image?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 07:45:03 AM »
If a guitarist wants to get bad tone and a sore back, let them!  I love my Parker, so too bad for them.

-Jim

-Buddha

Is it all about image?

Offline bno

Is it all about image?
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 09:00:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JSanta

. . . If a person is singing completely out of tune, there really isn't much that can be done.  If the timbre of their voice isn't so great though, effects processors work wonders.  . . .

-Jim

-Buddha

Absolutely.  My experience is that singers with intonation problems will consistently sing either flat or sharp.  This is where these tools can make the mediocre sound competent.  What we have are modeled voices.  I briefly played in a band with two front singers (M/F) who intoned in opposite directions.  Sometimes it would make my hair stand up.  

Its easier to put a voice on a face than a face on a voice.

Parker - the only way to Fly!  
Battleship Gray '94 Fly Deluxe wearing Elixer Polyweb 10-46
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Is it all about image?

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
Is it all about image?
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 05:23:05 PM »
We probably should kick this around a little more (particularly since I just joined and haven't had my say)...

Those of us who have been around for "a while" (geezer alert!) would witness that at least the technical quality of pop music has certainly improved.  Take a look at any of the "rock" music of the late 50's and early 60's... most of it is simple stuff like 12 bar blues, and the breaks!... nothing fancy going on there.  They played it well, don't get me wrong.  Most of us at that time cut our teeth on the Ventures (want a little Pipeline, Walk-- don't Run?) and really that was simple stuff... but presented well at the time, with reverb saturation and heavy on the drums, and the girls were screaming for the Ventures as much as they did for the Beatles.

I suppose the "serious" musicians of the time were in jazz or more heavy blues... certainly the jazz/blues/swing fields had some heavy hitters.  

I remember Herman's Hermits struck a few quick hits with Mrs. Brown and Henry VIII and when they went to set them up for shows they found that the skills of the band were mediocre at best, even for that time.  They apparently employed session people and hit the training fast.

What I'm getting to (again) is that most successful musicians these days, whether in rock or even in country have paid their dues... they know their stuff and most of them have solid theory behind them... they have to-- the music is more complex and more difficult.  

But the original query... "is it all about image?"   No, not "all" about image by far, but that is a much bigger slice of the success pie than it ever was.  In the trenches with band members and session musicians, I think you have far more capability than was certainly seen in the "pop" scene of 30/40 years ago, but you also have the modern obsession with these talentless people who just have what it takes to tittilate the mind bored by endless reality shows... The Hiltons... really!  As naive as we  might have been, for all their money there would never have been a "Simple Life" forty years ago, or if they bought their way into it, any producer with an ounce of self-respect would have pulled it fifteen minutes into the first show.

The fellow who said, "No one has ever lost money by under-estimating the intelligence of people," was really waiting for the entertainment world of today.

. . . .  [:)]

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

Is it all about image?

Offline Ocker

• http://www.shesayselectric.com
Is it all about image?
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 07:02:18 PM »
I still say Image carrys alot of weight in the music industry. The likely hood of seeing a pro band playing $250 squire strats and no-name 1x12 combo amps no matter how good they can make it sound with new pickups and processing and all that. They look like cheep and crappy guitars. You will always see flashy recognizable guitars with big marshall and mesa stacks, even though only 1x12 speaker is given a mic, heck half the time the cabs arent even loaded with speakers and we "musicians" all know thats the truth. I think part of the struggle Parkers have with gaining a broader popularity is just that it looks diferent. I personally love the look and parker shape, but I do get customers saying all the time that they can't stand the headstock or they look too weird. Now we know its thier loss for letting that hold them back from buying a parker, but we have to face the fact that appearance means alot.

(soon to have 2005 Mojo Flame)
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Is it all about image?

Offline 908ssp

Is it all about image?
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 09:30:50 PM »
To Corkscrew it goes in cycles. There was a time in the seventy's for example were there were really accomplished musicians and then came punk they new three cords well maybe four. This has happened again and it will again. The problem today is more to do with radio air play and the industry of music then musicians there are a slew of pop stars that couldn't play a note with both hands.

To Ocker I don't think a squire or a strat makes any difference to a musicians success it might to his self confidence or he likes the sound better. In some niche amp stacks are required in some they are not so I don't think that means much one way or another.

I heard a story from a record producer a few months ago he sent out some finished Cd's of a band he was working with. He got it into the hands of an up and coming vice president of a major label the guy loved the band and the songs and took it to his boss to sell him on hiring the band. The president listened and he too thought they sounded great and was ready to sign them when he asked the vice "What TV show did you say these guys were on?" When the answer came back none they trash binned the CD. The music industry doesn't want to take chances any more.

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Is it all about image?

Offline corksailor

Is it all about image?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 04:42:38 AM »
Corkscrew?   I know sailors have a reputation...

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

Is it all about image?

Offline corksailor

Is it all about image?
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2005, 09:27:53 AM »
BTW, as far as physical "image", I would have to say that I was not enamoured with the Fly shape when I first saw it.  I recall an early one in my fav instrument store, and seeing it hanging there saying to myself, "What a weird looking guitar!".... I was more intrigued when I read up a bit about it and it's unusual construction and advances like the piezo combo, but it took a while for the shape to grow on me.  Love it now and the attention it gets, but it has to grow on you.  

I think the moves toward the single-cutaway were probably wise to broaden the market for Parkers, as long as they hold on to the original shape as well.  I know some people who have seen mine, and it's only a P-38, not a "real" Fly other than the shape, but they still don't care for the shape of it.  "Strat with a caligraphy pen" as I mentioned.

I've heard some cast doubt about the strength of the headstock, due to it's drastic cutaway, but that as we know is just an assumption; they are reputed to be plenty strong.

My fav music store where I saw one first doesn't even carry them now... Fenders and Gibsons and such.  I bought my P-38 down the street from a used instrument shop.  I had been owned by J.P. Cormier ( http://jp-cormier.com ) who would be familiar to people in this end of the country, but he seems to have moved more acoustic.  

Once you are hooked, you're hooked, I fear... someday in the future maybe a Mojo flame.... have to try one to see how much better it is than my P-38, though.

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

Is it all about image?

Offline 908ssp

Is it all about image?
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 10:19:48 PM »
Corkscrew oh I mean corksailor.......your going to have to explain that one to me some time keep it PG.

The whole traditional guitar thing I think has a lot to do with hero worship. Most people would just rather join in a group whether it is LP players or Strat players then be alone. That's why this forum is so important because we aren't alone anymore. I often recommend Parkers. I never argue there merits I don't expect to change anyones mind I know mine can't be changed. I play Parkers. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG