Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two Notes Torpedo Studio  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
Two Notes Torpedo Studio
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »
Recording good guitar sound with tube amps can be a difficult thing to achieve. In my experience it's quite easy with cleans and mild crunch but gets harder and harder with increasing gain and/or saturation. Miking speaker cabinets is a very demanding science in itself: Ideally you have a place where you can crank your amp to be able to record a sense of the air and punch of gainy and/or saturated sounds, several cabinets with different speakers to choose from, a wide range of pretty affordable to ridiculously expensive microphones specifically suited to capture certain tones, and (most important) preferrably many years of experience in bringing all those assets together.

Until now I could only get so far living in a city apartment where 1W cranked is too loud, owning one speaker cabinet, the wrong kinds of microphones, and having only a few years of self taught recording experience. I've tried several tools but nothing was close to the sound I wanted. I envied the all-digital users but wouldn't want to part with my beloved tube amp.

Luckily I found a device that allows me to combine my amp and the digital realm to a powerful hybrid package.

The Two Notes Torpedo Studio:
The Torpedo Studio by Two Notes Audio Engineering is a high end speaker and miking simulator and loadbox. It offers a reactive load for tube amp signals up to 150W (4, 8, 16 Ω) based on the impulse responses of several guitar and bass cabinets (50 included, more available from Two Notes or third party IR vendors). Those cabs can be captured with 8 different microphone simulations allowing free placement (front or back, horizontal positioning, distance). You can use two cab/mic combinations at the same time with separate or mixed signals. You can also use it with your preamps and emulate a tube power amp with settings for tube type, volume, presence, depth, and triode/pentode (haven't tried that yet). Additionally it has all the important post miking effects. There's a low cut, an equalizer, an exciter, and a compressor. See all details and specs on the product website.

I've researched the Torpedo for several weeks and bought it on my annual spend-a-day-at-a-big-music-store-with-a-friend-mini-holiday on January 4th. Within the first few hours of playing it was obvious to me that I've finally found the right device, not only for recording but also for 100% consistent and reliable live sound. Yes, it's really that good. The speaker and miking simulation is incredibly close to the real thing. People who have worked with gear using impulse responses will know how effective they are. I'll keep my cab of course, for practice and for fun and for the unlikely chance of ever recording in a professional studio with someone else taking care of all the work. But for all personal recording and live use purposes I'll bring a 2 RU 19" device instead of a heavy 2x12" cabinet.

Here are the first two clips, a very clean one and a pretty heavy one. The choice of music was based on me looking forward to the new Dream Theater album coming soon.

Clip #1: tnts_fatclean.mp3

Clip #2: tnts_heavyriff.mp3

I will come back to this post with more clips including cabinet and microphone comparisons and more detailled text that will be too long to read for many. :D

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:14:58 PM by Nefarius »

Re: Two Notes Torpedo Studio

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »
Hey Nef,
Awesome clips, great system.  I only "object" to the price of this unit.  But it sounds awesome!  Congratulations.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »
Sounds killer!   8)
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
It's been a busy few days at work so I wasn't really in the mood for clips. Having found someone selling an almost ideal amp case & rack combination for my needs may have been another reason and now, after a few adjustments this afternoon... Welcome to my new compact portable setup (my FX will also be moving to the rack soon but that unit won't light up so it will look pretty much the same)!

Additionally here's an early test clip I made with the Torpedo Studio after buying it, combining something clean, something dirty, and a few single notes.

Clip #3: tnts_threesounds.mp3

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:27:17 AM by Nefarius »

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
I don't disagree with Patzag, it's a pretty expensive toy, no doubt about that. But even based on what little experience I've had with the Torpedo Studio so far I would certainly say it's worth it. Two Notes is a French company with local production, great build quality, an active community, excellent support, additional speaker simulations available, clean and stable software, ongoing development... and it certainly doesn't hurt that their gear is right at home among the very top of the high end gear available. The biggest advantage though is that it makes recording that much easier and simpler you may very well end up saving money on gear you suddenly don't need.

Back to the important stuff, more audio!

I was playing around with the fat clean setting in 10W mode and both preamp and power amp pushed to the very edge. Then I drenched everything in thick reverb. This clip is the result, first a few chords and then a well known solo line. I'm pretty far away from any kind of timing with the solo as I was simply trying to enjoy the sweet creamy tone of every note.

Clip #4: tnts_extravintage.mp3

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »
He he he.  That's pretty cool.  I see a little silhouette!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II