Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The state of Parker Fly Guitars today?!  (Read 9928 times)

Offline StrumFunky

• http://www.facebook.com/StrumFunky
The state of Parker Fly Guitars today?!
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:30:37 AM »
Happy New Year, all!  ...just returned from NAMM, my beloved Parker Fly Guitars wasn't represented at all!  U.S. Music Corp. had all of their brands on display but Parker (as I walked through their exhibit with my Refined Fly Mojo on my back). What's the word, folks? Should I start stocking up on soon to be hard to find Parker Fly replacement parts (replacement piezo bridge saddles have already gone the way of the Dodo Bird, GraphTech is our only option for replacement bridge saddles, ...just purchased two sets of GraphTech Ghost pup saddles for two of my Flys)?
www.myspace.com/strumfunky

04' Mojo/Natural
04' Mojo/Cherry
05' Mojo/Cherry Single-Cut
06' Classic/Cherry
96' Classic/Root Beer
07' Nylon/Natural
03' Bronze/Natural
? Fly Bass/5-String/Cherry

@(~~~:::

Re: The state of Parker Fly Guitars today?!

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
USA custom shop is done. All remaining stock and parts have been sold wholesale. Just the import stuff for now. Sad but true my friend.

Offline Twanking45

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:55:09 PM »
Wow, that is tremendously sad.  :o   I feel like a favorite sports hero just tore his ACL.

I always wondered why Parkers never really caught on. Perhaps most human guitarists just don't like the shape, and that dragonfly (maxxfly) shape was too little, too late.

I wondered about certain moves parker company made over the years after Ken Parker moved on, and always scratched my head: jazz-style hollow bodies; Telecaster fly; having to come up with a different model name than Dragonfly and choosing Maxxfly (the extra X stands for...?); resorting to referring to various models by the alpha-numerical codes (that does not warm a player to an instrument); Shying away from lefty models; Creating all types of incrementally different models; Resurrecting the Nitefly in an unrecognizable guise that smacked of a cheaper way to make a Deluxe; Using that tired Little Richard quote to showcase Parker's 2013 NAMM booth (was that a wise brand decision?)...

Ok, I'm starting to get weird!   
but through it all I figured Parker would continue to chug along, making Deluxe models and Mojos, using the asian-made models to keep the lights on in the factory. Is that all a dream? Is the company almost over? on life support?

I better take care of my deluxe and nitefly V3--chances are parts are gonna get scarce, no?
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Offline pirassic

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
in my opinion, US music showed very sloppy brand management.
They completely failed in terms of marketing, positioning, naming ... and quality control.
They destroyed the brand.

Offline Twanking45

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:00:44 PM »
yeah, but so many questionable moves, one after the other? Is that even possible?
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »
Parker guitars on facebook is still somewhat active. (?)

I have hope, and that's about that.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
in my opinion, US music showed very sloppy brand management.
They completely failed in terms of marketing, positioning, naming ... and quality control.
They destroyed the brand.

Maybe. But Parkers have always been a hard sell because all most guitarists care about is looks. So yeah, maybe one could say that before USMC bought Parker they were just barely keeping afloat and the takeover eventually killed the brand. Even USMC was trying to make the guitar look different. I think they simply had some monetary amount that they wanted to see the brand make and it wasn't achieving that so they said screw it.

That's all based on what I know has happened since joining this forum in 2005.

Offline Twanking45

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »
If we could spitball ways to turn the company around, what would you guys suggest?

Perhaps...

-Build way fewer models, concentrating on core offerings.
-find a great Korean factory source to make the lower end models, simple but good quality.
-put effort into a Youtube channel discussing gear in general and showcasing cool people playing parkers well.

i dunno...
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
The youtube channel sounds like a great idea.
Let's do it.

Offline Twanking45

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
The essential ingredient would have to be someone like, say, Rob Chapman or jared dines to host the channel (not these actual people, but someone with chops and personality). That could be pretty cool. Might get folks into the guitars.

>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:56:22 AM »
The problem is they've been gone for several months now. Which means the employees (all the best to you guys) are gone too, finding new jobs, moving to new locations. So by now all the knowledge, all the experience... is gone and lost anyway.

And even with an unrealistic surprise resurrection it would take some time to get the production standards anywhere near something I would want to buy. But without any money for marketing Parker would probably perish quietly again, without the rest of the world outside this forum and a few others really noticing or caring.

:'(

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
If we could spitball ways to turn the company around, what would you guys suggest?

Perhaps...

-Build way fewer models, concentrating on core offerings.
-find a great Korean factory source to make the lower end models, simple but good quality.
-put effort into a Youtube channel discussing gear in general and showcasing cool people playing parkers well.

i dunno...

Yeah, but once again superficially all most guitarists care about is looks. Despite it's technological awesomeness, the Fly never did and it never will catch on in mainstream music no matter how cool a guitarist is in a YouTube video.

IMO, it's now in the category of the Steinberger guitars, collectors items that only a few weirdos are brave enough to play (like Allan Holdsworth for example).

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:33 PM »
@Nef - I think the technology of Parker is safe.  There's nothing that can't be reproduced and the most exotic part of the production line was the pizza ovens!
What was special was the tooling that had been developed for the parts that were made in house.   I don't think these tools were sold off, but I'm not sure. 

I don't think we should sing the swan song of Parker just yet.  Let's see.  Sometimes it takes time to get things like this sorted out.

Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »
Well, lets hope!

I have to agree with an earlier post from Twanking45 though, some of the production "moves" didn't really help things out IMHO.

And all those different models...

The original brand/guitar was largely driven by single minded passion, and that's something that can't be replaced.

I'm happy with my deluxe, i'd like to see the company/brand continue and evolve...in a good way...

But i'm afeard Paul Marossy may be on the money with this one...i can see 'em hanging next to the Steinbergers down the back of the shop....

Well, if it wasn't for that dang headstock that is...

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
But i'm afeard Paul Marossy may be on the money with this one...i can see 'em hanging next to the Steinbergers down the back of the shop....

And that's OK. Visionaries are often on a road by themselves, and only a few can appreciate what they stand for.