Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The state of Parker Fly Guitars today?!  (Read 11879 times)

Offline sybersitizen

Re: The state of Parker Fly Guitars today?!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 01:37:11 AM »
Seems like kind of a futile thread going here... but I guess I'll add my two cents worth.

If the Parker name - and its original spirit - can be somehow miraculously resurrected, I think I would prefer that the new bearers of the torch take a new direction. I would be excited to see a focus on something quite different from the Fly or the MaxxFly. I don't even know what it would be... and maybe that's the point. It would be great to have a Ken Parkerish genius, full of of inspiration and wild ideas, present us with an instrument we've never imagined before... which was the way it happened in 1993. If you're gonna dream, dream big.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 07:31:26 AM »
Seems like kind of a futile thread going here... but I guess I'll add my two cents worth.

If the Parker name - and its original spirit - can be somehow miraculously resurrected, I think I would prefer that the new bearers of the torch take a new direction. I would be excited to see a focus on something quite different from the Fly or the MaxxFly. I don't even know what it would be... and maybe that's the point. It would be great to have a Ken Parkerish genius, full of of inspiration and wild ideas, present us with an instrument we've never imagined before... which was the way it happened in 1993. If you're gonna dream, dream big.

We really need a "Like" button on this forum!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »
I think this is fantastic sentiment (in the best sense) but the Parker brand carries a certain amount of baggage now for better or for worse (corporate takeover / cost-engineering re-design / entry-level range / cessation of production in US), I think that anyone coming to or from within the industry with a vision is not likely to wish to encumber themselves with that in my opinion - the king is dead, long live the king...   (Ola Strandberg  ;)).

Offline jb63

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 09:00:06 PM »
Well, actually...

Thing is there are THOUSANDS of Parker guitars out there.
They don't last forever, and sometimes they need parts.

What we really need between now and then is a good parts supplier-- which means know what parts fit what model from whatever year and manufacturing them.

That seems like the first step.

Ed Roman did it when Steinberger went out of business but I can't think of how or who could be in business putting fry boards back on, gluing frets, machining bridges, etc.

But that's what we need now.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »
Parker made most hardware parts in house. Electronics,  not sure.

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »
Electronics does not matter.
They can be rewired with PTP conversion with aftermarket part.

The goal should be having parts to keep it functional in order of importance such as
Frets, saddles, bridge, nut.

Frets - most important because if they wear out for any reason and there is no replacement - you're done.
Saddles - these can go bad over time so replacement should be made available by someone.
Bridge - so unique but outside of out right abuse - these should not go bad all.
Nuts - I put this in the category because I like Parker nuts - sure someone else can make one but I just like these.

The goal should not be about keeping it original for future value.
It should be about keeping it playable as long as possible.

Paint chip - who cares
Tuners - easily replaceable
Pickups - easily replaceable - sure Dimarzio can make them but at some point you just might have to route out the body to make it acceptable for other brand.  Still playable and functional, just not collectible.
Piezo - this technology is always evolving so I am sure it'll always be original.

So in the end it's frets and saddles to keep it functional.
Otherwise general use without abuse, a Parker Fly/Nitefly really should not need anything.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
Graph tech is still among the saddles. Don't they all fit the same? I'm assuming most of the Fly models are piezo.  I would think the graph tech ghost stuff could be retro fit for the Fishman gear.

Not sure on the fretwire.  I'm actually in the process of finding this out. Has anyone attempted to use a standard fretwire in place of the stainless??

Offline jb63

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:16 PM »
There was a thread about fretwire here someplace.
Short of it is, you may not be able to find that.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
Yes there is and there is a video posted about repair (however it is stuck?)  and there is another post about fret size and what not. Something was said about older (assuming pre 2005) fretwire was no longer available.  Has to be someone who can chime in on this.

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
The fretwire for PreRefined Flys has been unobtanium for some time now. Along with the other refinements, they switched from thinner medium-ish fretwire to jumbo.

JB is correct, the long and short of it is basically that it's unobtainable. Custom made for and sold only to Parker Guitars.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
I finally got the fretwire repair video to roll. Not too hard when the right tools are used.  I'll give an email to my buddy at usm and see what he can tell me. Has to be a manufacturer,  unless those to were made in house.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
Good news. I have confirmed that the 2nd Gen fret wire can still be ordered!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »
Thought for the day...

If a fret falls off of any Parker, old or new, do what they advise you to do in case one of your fingers gets cut off: Pick it up and save it. It can very likely be reattached.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mr303

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »
Thought for the day...

If a fret falls off of any Parker, old or new, do what they advise you to do in case one of your fingers gets cut off: Pick it up and save it. It can very likely be reattached.

There was a thread about fret wire a few months ago and I recall someone mentioned using UV activated adhesive.
Probably also work for detached digits.
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline Twanking45

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
OK, I want to ask a question about value.

Parkers have not been known as instruments that appreciate over time. Might that change?

What are your thoughts?

>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)