Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Introduction.... hi  (Read 1152 times)

Offline st.bede

Introduction.... hi
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
Hello all...

I have always remembered the parker fly that I played once in a store back in the late 90's. I liked it a lot but the price was beyond my means at that time. A little while after that I was taking jazz improve class at the local JC, and one of my classmates had a parker fly. I thought that it sounded good. One last story. Back in the late 90's, I was in Berkley and picked up a new Pat Martino album at Amoeba's records. I knew the sound of the guitar Martino was playing from the first minutes of listening to the album.

Now days I have a small collection of guitars. Few are high end stuff but most are mid priced and excellent players (Gibson LPs, SG diablo, 1965 MM, and a V. PRS SC whaleblue with full rosewood neck, hollowbody II, and an late 90s swamp ash special, Fender am strat, am Tele, Gretsch 5120 orange).

The other day I was at GC and there was a paker fly. I immediately  grabbed it. Bad news... it was really poorly set up. The action was so high I should of grab a slide. The tech said he would set it up for me. I put a down payment on it. It had been in GC for less the 24 hours. I hope it has no problems so in a month I can take it home. I know the tech has already set it up so I will step by on Tuesday and do a full evaluation.

I think it is a pre-refined deluxe. I payed 1090.00 for it. That seems like a decent price. It is also a killer red.

I am crossing my fingers.

Re: Introduction.... hi

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:49 AM »
Welcome!

As long as everything is in good shape, you paid a fair price - and got a good color (my Deluxe is Ruby Red). Find out the serial number and we'll pinpoint the manufacturing date... and when you're back in the store, take a couple of photos for us.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
If taken descent care, these are actually very durable guitars. Its probably fine. The two issues would be to make sure the truss rod functions, the bridge is straight, and the trem is set up right. In fact, if I were getting a vintage Fly, I would remove the trem "spring" and put a block in and make it a fixed hard tail. But then I prefer hard tails and I worry a lot. I am not sure if the spring is still going to be available. Someone will chime in hopefully if they are. The spring is subject to metal fatigue and if it snaps it can be propelled through the front of the guitar and basically kill it.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline st.bede

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »
If possible where can I buy some springs.

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »
If possible where can I buy some springs.

You might try contacting Parker support if you haven't already... I have no idea if any are left in stock.

Otherwise, eBay. If you don't see what you want today, keep checking; they're becoming harder to find...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xparker+guitar+spring.TRS0&_nkw=parker+guitar+spring&_sacat=0
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers