Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fret buzz on the low E string  (Read 3040 times)

Offline pirassic

Fret buzz on the low E string
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:22 AM »
Hi everyone, my 97 pearl white nitefly buzzes from fret 5 up to fret 9 ONLY on the low E string.
All the other strings are OK.

I can't see any marks on the frets and the guitar neck looks straight ...
It's driving me crazy cause the buzz is audible through the amplifier.

Action is pretty low but not SUPER low and I don't really want to raise it again..

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Re: Fret buzz on the low E string

Offline jjozwia

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:40:07 AM »
If don't think action or truss related here are some additional thoughts:

-Check nut - low E too deep/worn, try putting thin piece of plastic bag (ie what strings packaged in), paper, whatever, between nut/low E.  If this resolves you can either replace nut or drop superglue in slot to raise it then file to proper height after hardens

Less likely but if no other ideas...
-Check frets - push down on the low E end of each and check for movement, maybe one has started to lift
-Check bridge post - possible leaning forward lowering further
-Check fretboard lift - push down between frets looking for fretboard movement

Good luck!

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:43:36 AM »
Sounds like it could just be your truss rod is a tad tight relative to your bridge height. Hard to say, but it sounds like you might be able to add a tiny bit more relief to the neck, then maybe drop the bridge height a fraction to make up for the gain in string height (but lower more on the high e side since that isn't buzzing).

Hard to say without looking at the whole thing. But all being in one place on one side sounds a bit like it just needs a set up. Is this a new phenomenon that has appeared with no adjustment? Have you changed string gauge or downtuned or anything?
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I have exactly the same problem as pirassic but limited to the 12th fret of the high E.

Offline pirassic

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I tried to put some relief in the neck with the trussrod .. and lowered the bridge. also lowered the pickups on the low strings side.
It helped a little bit. It still buzzes but it is less audible.
As far as the nut is concerned .. if i fret up to the first 3 i hear no buzz at all.. so the nut should be out of the equation .. am i right?

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
Nothing replaces a good set up by a competent guitar tech.  It's inexpensive enough to pump some new life in a guitar.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
buzzes from fret 5 up to fret 9 ONLY on the low E string. As far as the nut is concerned .. if i fret up to the first 3 i hear no buzz at all.. so the nut should be out of the equation .. am i right?

That's right. I suggest laying a good metal straight-edge along the neck (at all string positions from low E to high E) to see exactly where any dips or rises are.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline jjozwia

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Take a quick glance at the diagram here on nut but basically yes, hold down 3rd, it will have contact on second fret, and should have slight gap on 1st fret... Life's good
http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

For truss you can also check by holding down 1st fret one hand, last fret with other last then check gap at 12th fret by pressing down over fret wire.  I don't have a measurement but should be a little gap and not be touching, same on high e side.  When adjusting truss this makes it very easy to see what doing, I know there are some videos on YouTube that demonstrate but not finding a link in my favorites ATM.

And what sybersitizen said :)

Cheers