Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: parker guitar spings  (Read 3746 times)

Offline st.bede

parker guitar spings
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
I am having a difficult time finding new 9 or 8 gauge springs. I really dig my parker and I want it last till the end of time.

Anyone have any other sources for springs then say ebay or the manifacture, who has never called me back?

How often do the springs break?

Is there any other solution to this problem that saves the trem?

Any ideas?

Re: parker guitar spings

Offline pirassic

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
thomann.de has new springs in all gauges.
i bought a .10 spring for my pre-refined deluxe and it fits perfectly.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
Guy in eBay has a rare 8.5 spring. May want to jump on that one. Good luck!

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
How often do the springs break?

If you have the right spring for the string gauge and don't abuse it, breaks are very rare.

Is there any other solution to this problem that saves the trem?

No, if you want the trem to work as designed, you need that spring as designed. You can certainly block it off with wood if you don't mind losing it.

Any ideas?

If you play in bend-down only mode, you can use a heavier spring than string gauge (i.e. a 10 spring with 9 strings), if it makes you feel safer. Other than that, if you don't abuse the vibrato, your springs will be fine. Just keep a spare on hand and you'll probably never need it.

Never use a lighter spring than string gauge. (i.e. 9 spring with 10 strings)

Offline st.bede

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
thomann.de has new springs in all gauges.
i bought a .10 spring for my pre-refined deluxe and it fits perfectly.

I am having a difficult time finding them on the thomann web site. Do you have link?

Offline st.bede

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »
any help with a link to buy new springs would be great

Offline syncopa

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »
1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly

Offline st.bede

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
thank you very much... looking for 9s or 8s

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 09:57:04 AM »
As I said,  there is an 8.5 from wiguitar on eBay. I didn't even know they existed

Offline st.bede

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
I have searched under: parker guitar, guitar spring, parker 8.5 and other title... I can not find the spring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Offline st.bede

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
As I said,  there is an 8.5 from wiguitar on eBay. I didn't even know they existed

:-[ Whoops, I did not read wiguitar. In my defense I was using my WII for the internet. I searched wiguitar and either it is sold or I can't find it.

Someone put 10s on the used fly that I bought. When it was GC the actions was horrible. I told the tech to put some 9s on and I checked it out then. Just perfect. So

A. I am worried about the spring (although, since the 10s were very new, I am guessing someone did not know what they were doing and the 10s were on for a very short time)

B. I would rather use 8s (NYXL) because my fingers are wimpy but I can live with 9ths.

C. I really dig the deluxe fly.

As you see I am writing a bit more. I am at a real computer.

If anyone has a link to 8 0r 9 gauge spring my gratefulness will be eternal. You might think I am joking but every time I pick up the Fly I will say a good word to the ether in your honor (or something like that). I keep searching but so far nothing.

Peace

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
Do you have/want the bridge set to full float or bend-down only?

You can use 8's with a 9 spring with no issues whatsoever in bend-down only mode. In floating mode, it will very likely work fine, but you'll have to try for yourself. It's possible that the spring may not have enough preload on it, and it may jar loose when using the trem to pull the strings heavily sharp.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »
You can use 8's with a 9 spring with no issues whatsoever in bend-down only mode. In floating mode, it will very likely work fine, but you'll have to try for yourself.

I've been doing exactly that - in floating mode - since 2009.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline st.bede

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 04:46:52 PM »
I found a 8.5 but it looks like it could have rust on it. I really want to buy it but I woukd assume that a rusted spring is useless. I did try and message the seller but he did not get back to me.

Because you guys have more experince take a look at the pic and tell me if looks like rust to you. https://reverb.com/item/1830502-parker-fly-series-electric-guitar-spring-8-5-gauge

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »
I found a 8.5 but it looks like it could have rust on it. I really want to buy it but I woukd assume that a rusted spring is useless. I did try and message the seller but he did not get back to me.

Because you guys have more experince take a look at the pic and tell me if looks like rust to you. https://reverb.com/item/1830502-parker-fly-series-electric-guitar-spring-8-5-gauge

Lots of springs I've seen were discolored. If you want an 8.5, just get it. There are not that many out there to choose from.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers