Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just received PARKER PDF80 - bridge is as low as it will go but still high actio  (Read 2755 times)

Offline craigkelley

Hi guys,

I just bought a PARKER PDF80 and the action was pretty high. I read the manual and lowered the bridge by turning the allen screws clockwise behind the guitar.  I turned until it would not turn any further and the action is still high.

The neck looks straight so I'm hesitant to adjust the truss rod.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

Re: Just received PARKER PDF80 - bridge is as low as it will go but still high actio

Offline sybersitizen

The neck looks straight so I'm hesitant to adjust the truss rod.

Any suggestions?

Other options are checking for correct height of the nut slots and/or removing the neck and adding shims to adjust its angle. The correct solution depends on exactly where and why the action is too high.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Re: Just received PARKER PDF80 - bridge is as low as it will go but still high actio

Offline craigkelley

Thanks for the reply.

I had an idea that the strings may have been too heavy for the original setup so I changed the strings to the factory gauge. I bought this as open-box.  That helped. Still seems a little high but not too bad.

The worst part now is the frets at the high e string. I keep getting my fingers caught on the sharp edges.

I know I can take it to the local music shop but I'd like to learn how to fix these things myself which is why I'm asking.

Offline neilderemer

I would be hesitant to cut the nut any deeper without measuring the action first, the manual should specify the string height at the first few frets. If you cut it too deep you end up with buzzing on the first few frets, and then you really need a new nut. My guess would be that the neck is probably slightly bowed and you need to adjust the truss rod. When you sight the neck are you looking straight down it? It can be hard to spot - my p 38 had a fairly high action but the neck looked straight. I adjusted the truss rod until a quarter would just barely slide below the 12th fret (a trick i learned from daves world on youtube - should check it out).

Offline craigkelley

I'm eyeballing it just like you did. I will try this! Thank you!

Offline jb63

If you want to learn it, that's the way to go. Don't be afraid of the truss rod and you'll want to file those fret edges. If you go to the shop where you got it, all that set up and the frets ought to be about $120 worth of work. They may cut you some slack since you bought it from them and set it up for free. I'm sure they'll charge to file the frets, though.

You can do all this yourself but invest a few hours a day and look at lots of videos.
Sometimes the truss rod wants to sit for a while after you adjust it before it shows the results.

But you can do it!

Offline craigkelley

Now that I look down from the headstock I see there is a bow and I need to adjust the truss rod. My guitar came with a bag of allen wrenches but none of them fit.

Does the truss rod for this guitar need a special tool?

Thanks,
Craig

Offline neilderemer

Word of advice don't adjust it more than a quarter of a turn at a time, and let it sit for probably 30 minutes before you adjust it again... and most importantly do not over tighten it or you will break the truss rod. If it doesn't want to go don't force it.

Offline craigkelley

Thanks, I have adjusted my ibanez before so I have a little experience with it. My problem is I can't seem to find an allen wrench that will fit the slot.

Offline TinMachine

Might be sae as opposed to your metric Ibanez. 

Offline craigkelley

Just saw this link. It's old but I'm wondering if all Parkers use the same truss rod.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=2993.0

It is a Torx wrench size T-27.
Six pointed star.

Offline neilderemer

I know for sure the older P models like the p-38 and the old nitefly models do not. They have a spoke nut at the base of the neck and you can pretty much adjust it with anything that fits in there (i just use an allen wrench though)

Offline craigkelley

Just got off the phone with Guitar Center. They said it's a "hex star head" tool. Time to hunt one down.

I appreciate the feedback you guys gave me!

Offline neilderemer

You can do the same with a metal ruler or hell probably a plastic ruler..m anything really straight. I would rather have some relief so I find those aren't for me and instead prefer to go off eye and rhe quarter trick

Offline craigkelley

Yeah, if I can track down a truss rod tool I have a straight edge to use. I ordered the one from Amazon that was suggested. For $17 I can always use it.

Guitar Center told me to email Parker and see if they would send me one. I did that too. Haven't heard back as of yet.