Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker & Roland GR-55...  (Read 2059 times)

Offline ronedee

Parker & Roland GR-55...
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
Hi all, I'm considering the Parker as a guitar for its midi/synth capabilities. I now own a Godin LGXT, and although I like the guitar generally, the 13 pin in combination with 1/4 phones is very noisy(60 cycle hum) w/ any "high gain amp" patches... through the GR setup, NOT my hi-z rig. When plugged in alone, the 13 pin seems to be fine for noise (gain or otherwise), again thru the GR & dedicated amp. And I haven't been able to get a straight answer why! My LGXT is brand new btw.

So, I'm turning to Parker guitars as another possible choice for "seamless" & "noiseless" performance in combo w/ other connections.

I haven't been able to find much info on the Parker guitars in relation to the Roland GR-55.

My question; if anyone here can point me to a source for details about this combo? I thought Parker's site would be teeming with info! But no. I don't even know which models are 13 pin equipped! Never mind how they function and operate together w/ a synth! I watched Belew's video, but that wasn't very informative in that sense either. I'm guessing midi/synth is not a big option choice for guitarists?

But anyway, thanks ahead for any info you might have in relation to any of the above! Ron

Re: Parker & Roland GR-55...

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 04:32:52 PM »
I thought Parker's site would be teeming with info! But no. I don't even know which models are 13 pin equipped!

To my knowledge, both Adrian Belew signature models were so equipped, but they had other functional differences along with different body types (earlier Fly body vs. later 'MaxxFly' body.) Either way, you'll be limited to whichever existing instrument you can find because the US Parker factory was closed months ago and there's no indication that production will ever resume. Of course, the option for a third-party custom MIDI installation in almost any Parker model is always available. See some examples here:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16123.msg140936.html#msg140936

Can't help you with much else, but we obviously do have a MIDI enthusiast or two here ... they'll probably drop in with more info.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:02:03 PM by sybersitizen »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline ronedee

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »
Thanks sitizen!

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
Once they figure out how much these cost,  their tune will change.

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
Which system is in the Godin? RMC or Graph Tech? I'm not sure why there would be extraneous noise when using both 13-pin and the 1/4". Many of the Roland units have the ability to route the analog guitar signal through the unit and have a 1/4" dry output on the unit so you shouldn't need to use the 1/4" on the guitar, just need a system that carries the guitar signal down pin 7 of the 13-pin system.

I mod Fly's to have 13-pin capabilities (I have done GK3, RMC, and Graphtech) - they work great with the GP10, VG99, GR55 and many other units I have had. Of course part of the fun is the system being in such a high tech, light, durable, playable guitar!

Offline jb63

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
There must be some wiring issues with your LGXT.
That would be my first guess. Possibly also could be the amp you are using.
To get the GR55 to sound right, you need a really dry keyboard amp that you can EQ slightly, and most guitar amps just don't make it sound right.

I play through a VG99 or GR55 almost exclusively, and use patches with that include the magnetic pickups.
I've tried just about every kind of Piezo available as well as the GK pickup, and some of the patches I want to make are less noisy with RMC saddles or just work best with the GK hex pickups. If you run straight synth out, that is use only the patch without letting your magnetics bleed through, I find none of the options are very noisy, just need a lot of tweaking for your actual room.

I've been trying to put together a system that DOESN'T involve a bunch of cords coming out of the guitar all at the same time, but I always seem to need them, or at least want them for another channel or amp. Never been able to afford one of Parker's MIDI guitars, I played for years through the $150 GK3 that you strap to the guitar, but owning a cheap Brian Moore with Built-in RMC saddles started me down the long expensive road to outfitting Parkers with MIDI systems.

Here's a time-consuming place to start looking over what your Godin might be doing that doesn't work for you and ways to fix it:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=61.0

Sometimes its something as easy as setting the GR55 input to the wrong saddles, sometimes you have to look for a wire thats in the wrong place or a ground loop. Sometimes it just the amp. But if you DO decide to try out a Parker MIDI, i recommend the GK3 way I started out with unless you are made of money!

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 06:33:57 AM »
Hum? Sounds like some kinda ground loop. What mag amp is it and have you got any weird pedal layouts in front of it or anything?

For the record any of the later Parkers with black graphtech saddles have the graphtech acoustiphonic preamp/setup fitted. If you're not scared to drill a hole in the end for a 13-pin jack you can just buy a hexpander board that clips into the existing wiring and get 13-pin out. Then you can drill an extra hole or 2 for MIDI volume patch change if you want that too (although my preference I'd generally do stuff with my feet/MIDI foot controller instead). I've actually done this to my 2014 fly mojo, but in the end haven't got around to getting a converter due to finances and other plans, so I have never actually plugged it into anything 13-pin yet!!!

Similarly you can pull the current system out of any parker and replace it with the full graphtech system (acoustiphonic, hexpander, and the Parker Graphtech saddles) although is is obviously more expensive than just adding the extra board. There's a great video of someone fitting the whole kit to a Parker on Youtube. It's actually not done by Graphtech, but I think they have reposted it.

If you're totally mental, have one of the old Nitefly-based MIDI Flies, and want to control VSTi's straight on your laptop there's always the madness I went for too... :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIeR8yMKVqU
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline jb63

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 11:37:11 AM »
Heh.
That's the single greatest video I will ever see.

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 05:53:15 AM »
Heh.
That's the single greatest video I will ever see.
You mean my 2001 MIDI Fly's 15 year update video? Errr, thanks! :D Great guitar, but the video is a little poor, vague and long-winded! I can't "recommend" that mod as being simple though as it took bloody ages and A LOT of swearing doing those mods! It's unique though for sure. That and my Blue Mojo Fly alternate between being my favourite guitar. Thanks to Parker's frets and the previous owner taking care of it there's no way it looks like a 15 year old guitar. I'm sure I could convince anyone I showed it to it was brand new as it's mint. I've been playing it on most of the gigs recently as it funks better with the neck Single Coil and 22 frets than the Mojo split HB and 24 frets. I worry about it though so I have another HH mahogany nitefly I may mod similarly pickups-wise but without MIDI. That way I can worry far less about it getting the crap knocked out of it or it getting nicked. I have even pondered that getting a Humbucker-P90-SC set-up. Anyway, I'll shut up and stop taking this off topic...  :-X
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...