Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The rebirth of Parker Guitars?  (Read 13735 times)

Offline Mr303

Re: The rebirth of Parker Guitars?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
A new Parker line up?
 I certainly hope so, and I hope it's at least equal to the PDF models, but until I see one for sale somewhere I'm still skeptical.

I bought my first PDF, online, sight unplayed, because none were in town (Denver, Colorado), that ain't right folks, and it will never sell guitars.

It was 2012 so I have to admit that Parker was in decline, but as I said before here in the forum, that particular online retailer had over 600 for sale then. They had a great tech who was able to exactly describe the PDF 105 for me.

So please bring on the new line up but get into the hands of the buyers.

**(USM please feel free to PM for my contact info. I'd be glad to take any new models for a test drive!)
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »
If they can do the full carbon wrap neck/back Dragonfly (Maxxfly) DF824, but work out a way to do a matt finish neck with it, with flame maple top in tasteful colours, and bring back the tension wheel/step stop, I'll possibly sh*t my pants. Unfortunately that may be unlikely and would mean another loan though, and I still haven't finished paying off my last Mojo Flame I bought in a "arrrgggghhh, they've stopped production" frenzy...
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »
If they can do the full carbon wrap neck/back Dragonfly (Maxxfly) DF824, but work out a way to do a matt finish neck with it, with flame maple top in tasteful colours, and bring back the tension wheel/step stop,...

Phew, that's some wishful thinking. If they made a Fly 7 with the aforementioned bits, I'd be in line right quick. But even if USM goes back into full-force USA production, I think the step stop, balance wheel, easy access truss rod, and possibly even the proper Fly headstock are relics never to be recreated.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Unrelated: have you ever tried a Stealth? They had a bit more of a matt finish on them. Might be just right for ya.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:52 AM »
Don't want to burst any bubbles,  but keep in mind all the custom shop parts and machinery to make those parts in house has been sold off and liquidated.  Meaning whoever takes over would need to build everything from scratch. The only place that has machinery any longer is overseas.  Can you dig it?

Offline jester700

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
Don't want to burst any bubbles,  but keep in mind all the custom shop parts and machinery to make those parts in house has been sold off and liquidated.  Meaning whoever takes over would need to build everything from scratch. The only place that has machinery any longer is overseas.  Can you dig it?
True. Though I'll say that I'd be fine with import-only if they stepped up the quality just a bit. I mean, PRS has some sweet Korean made guitars, and I think the Parker form factor, with good parts (Sperzels, Duncans) made at that quality level - especially if they could add steel frets - would be all I'd need.

I do like my PDF80, but it's a notch below the USA bolt ons. Still, they wouldn't HAVE to be.

Having said this, my love of Parker is the weight, form factor, etc. Though I have a carbon wrapped one, I prefer my bolt on. I realize I'm in a small minority here.

Offline jb63

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
Plus ovens.
I'm not satisfied without ovens.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
True. Though I'll say that I'd be fine with import-only if they stepped up the quality just a bit. I mean, PRS has some sweet Korean made guitars, and I think the Parker form factor, with good parts (Sperzels, Duncans) made at that quality level - especially if they could add steel frets - would be all I'd need.

I do like my PDF80, but it's a notch below the USA bolt ons. Still, they wouldn't HAVE to be.

Having said this, my love of Parker is the weight, form factor, etc. Though I have a carbon wrapped one, I prefer my bolt on. I realize I'm in a small minority here.
agreed.  Actually,  I also prefer the bolt on,  although the wrapped one is super cool also. I have not had the opportunity to try the USA pdf to compare it to the indo pdf. If anything,  I would think the bolt on models would continue (easier to manufacture) . Maybe they can do a neck like the Prs line. Kind of a body set neck. Sustain for days like a piano. Best guitar I ever owned was a prs 305 USA. (albeit I only own parkers now) .

Offline neilderemer

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
Sounds to me like you guys need to try a nitefly if you like the bolt ons and want the carbon fiber neck. It's the best of both worlds, i love my 98 nitefly nfv4.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 10:00:28 PM »
Sounds to me like you guys need to try a nitefly if you like the bolt ons and want the carbon fiber neck. It's the best of both worlds, i love my 98 nitefly nfv4.
already in the process of doing a modern hybrid nitefly radial body and a nitefly 90s neck. I'm on it boss!

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 03:41:59 AM »
It definitely feels good to read that message. :D

However I won't get my hopes up until there's rock solid news about something that's on par or at least close to the full carbon Fly/DF models of the last few years. For all we know the "updated line" could end up consisting of slightly odd-shaped low quality oldschool tech Strat clones. :-X

Though I don't really care where something is made as long as it's well made I would like Parker Guitars to stay in the USA, if only to increase the chance to get some of the original crew back. But anything below an honest and wholehearted dedication to innovation and quality is bound to fail and won't attract my attention.

I remain cautiously pessimistic, however much I hope I'm wrong. :-\

Greetings...
Nef

Offline jester700

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »

Not for me. I can't stand the rib poking upper horn on any Parker other than the DF/PDF/Dragonfly/Maxxfly. I got a nice Stealth thinking I could learn to like it anyway. Nope. But I see your point and wish there was a Maxxfly version.

Offline neilderemer

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
You just need to get a beer gut lol. As bad as it sounds us chunky dudes don't have that rib poking problem cause the guitar gets held out away from us hahaha.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »
You just need to get a beer gut lol. As bad as it sounds us chunky dudes don't have that rib poking problem cause the guitar gets held out away from us hahaha.
I always wondered why I never had the issue... Lol

Offline latetotheparty

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
My Cordoba C12 Limited is all the information I need that guitars coming out of China can be amazingly well-crafted instruments.  If China, Korea, or wherever wants to take over high end parker production and get the same results that the american made ones were getting, i'm all for it. 

(i've had a slew of MIJ Gibson knock-offs and all have been top notch... a couple LP's, a 335 as well.  fretwork and finishes have been stunning)

Offline billy

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 06:43:07 PM »
You can get quality stuff overseas, but it's usually not cheaper. You get what you pay for, in my experience. Would love to have them done domestically but would be very glad to see any new product.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]