Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MIDI Guitars  (Read 3034 times)

Offline jb63

MIDI Guitars
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
Seemed like the best thing to do was start a thread comparing the different control setups that one can cram into a Parker.
I have to point out that I have never played a Midifly, or any of the ones that came from the factory with this option installed, but I'd love to see some that were posted here.

Anyway, here's #1. The 3rd fly I had modded and the one in the best condition. It was practically mint when it went under the knife.

2005 Mahogany Classic
2580605BMH USA
258 (day of year)
060 (Production Number)
5 (2005)

I think that's right.
Here are too many pictures.

case:

serial:

body:

jackplate:

(this was pretty tricky because the guitar is so thin. it protrudes a tiny bit but you can’t feel the ridge when playing)

contents of the cavity:

The small paper bag contains and isolates the 9v battery.

spring cavity:

Custom cut backplate. Still want to try to make a new one with a battery compartment in the right place, but it isn’t a priority right now, as everything works:

frets & neck:

(really just posting all the pictures so anyone who wonders about fret size can see what they were putting into Classics in 2005)

RMC saddles:

controls:

I’m not happy with my knobs yet. They work and all that, but I need 3 that fit US 1/4" solid shaft pots, and one that is slightly smaller. I ordered a set to fit, but they are still too small. Also, I’m going to have to replace the silver washers with the tiny protruding piece of metal. It doesn’t get in the way or cut you, I just want it to be smoother.

The Magnetic volume & Tone knobs are master volumes  for both the piezo and mags.
The Gold Piezo Blend knob for the Polydrive is like what Carvin uses.

http://www.rmcpickup.com/polydrivei.html

In this we installed a free-way switch which is probably the best idea so far when it comes to GEN2 stock pickups:

#6 is the top forward one on this guitar (rotate diagram 45° clockwise) and I still have to keep that diagram in front of me when playing. That’s what I keep saying about “you have to learn how to use them!”

Free-Way switch buried under wires:

Free-Way switch diagram:
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15883.msg139172.html#msg139172

Phew!
Apologies for the long post and way too many pictures. It took me months to get around to this!
Feel free to ask me any questions. Dayn did the Mod on this so he might tell you more stuff than me.
I'm officially the end user.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:32:23 PM by jb63 »

Re: MIDI Guitars

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
Jealous.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »
Just sold my mahogany MidiFly for $850, you should have bought it instead of all that work.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
Dayn ... the man!  Looks awesome.

Tinman ... always something positive to post - right?  /sarcasm
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »
Am I wrong? 

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
If you are referring to...

Parker Fly MOJO midi Roland gk-kit-gt3 divided pickup kit ready

I have to say it certainly isn't clear that your guitar was a better deal. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it was a project that needed some finish work as well as some missing parts (in the trem system as I recall). I think that would have been quite a bit of work. Having a guitar professionally modded by Dayn is certainly a good deal IMHO.

JB63 should be happy and proud of the guitar he has. I think it looks great. Hopefully the buyer of your guitar will feel the same about his/hers once it is complete. It would be great if we could see a pic of it when it's done.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »
As luck would have it,  the buyer has already reposted it on eBay. Dayne should grab it. With less than $500 worth of parts and work,  it could easily be a $2500 guitar.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
If you are referring to...

Parker Fly MOJO midi Roland gk-kit-gt3 divided pickup kit ready

... It would be great if we could see a pic of it when it's done.

That doesn't seem likely ... but over the next few days you can see it parted out in various bits for resale here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=351710378407&hash=item51e39279a7%3Ag%3AYPgAAOSw1DtXE6Dd&_ssn=gibsondependable&_sop=10
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 11:25:42 PM »
Yup. Brand new fretboard and frets. Can't really say there are many 2009 MOJO Flys out there like that.  This guy appears to be a legit guitar parts reseller,  so he probably knows the value it truly holds,  otherwise I'm sire he would have not bid.
Just to be clear,  I think what JB did was awesome for sure. I'm just thinking if I had the choice of transferring my current mojo parts and additional Gk3 to this guitar,  that seems far simpler. Obviously he probably did this way before my guitar came up for sale. Best of luck to all new bidders.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 11:36:49 PM »
Also,  I have only seen a true mojo midi fly listed on reverb.  Same style,  starting price of $3399. Weren't these like $5k when they came out?  So saying a completed project wouldn't be worth $2500 may not be accurate. 

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:10:59 AM »
The unfortunate problem is that list price and asking price don't necessarily reflect "value". I bought a used Fly with the GK3 installed for $1200, and the guy had it for sale for a long time. While shopping for that one I came across a few others and the highest price SOLD was about $2500 for a brand new factory fresh guitar. The others were asking sub $2000 and I'm not sure if they ever sold.  I know a few did for around $1500. Also, most guitars are worth more parted out than fully assembled, so basing price on separate parts really doesn't work.  Supply and demand set value,  and that can be highly variable.  The sad thing is that Parkers in general never really caught on,  thus demand is low driving prices down. From what I've seen,  your former guitar fully assembled and professionally refinished MIGHT get $2000 or so - probably less. Of course,  given the right buyer, right time,  and right place I've seen people pay way more than current market value for something they just can't live without.

From a buyers perspective,  I buy to market value.  When selling,  I would love being able to sell based on list price and my perceived value.  It just isn't reality in most cases.

Offline bigboki

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »
Wonderful work and accomplishment. Guitar looks absolutely amazing
Thanks for all the detailed photos!

yours truly
Bojan

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
That was a fun one - RMC installed are probably the most complicated among the MIDI mods, but great results as they sound fantastic.

This one has some unique controls, and truly one of the better sounding Fly's I've had my hands on!

Thanks for sharing the detailed photos with us all!

Offline jb63

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »
Eventually I'll get some sound samples going. Because that's what really matters!

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
Man...

The one thing that USM undeniably got right was putting rootbeer paint on the back of the clearcoated classics. So much classier than the black on prerefined...