Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MIDI Guitars  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Mr303

Re: MIDI Guitars
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
Man...

The one thing that USM undeniably got right was putting rootbeer paint on the back of the clearcoated classics. So much classier than the black on prerefined...

I like the root beer backs better than traditional black also.

That being said, I think clear coating the carbon fiber would look good.
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline jb63

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 03:15:41 PM »
Ready for the next one?
I know. I am absolutely crazy.

This guitar is what I used to replace the Indonesian Floyd and basically why I never modded that.
The stock Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (bridge) & 2 Custom Flat pickups are nice and rich-sounding, but for what I do I really like the passive dimarzios in the Indonesian Floyd. I didn’t have the money to swap the pickups at the time, but i may get to it later. The coil tap on the tone knob gets you that 3-single-coil strat flavor, which is what I mostly use, but you can re-engage both coils on the humbucker and play the Duncan Custom 5 with a little piezo mixed in and shred out on leads if you need to.

So here's #2, that is, the 2nd fly I had modded. This was close to new when it went in for surgery.
I realize that I am making these worth less when I mod them, but that isn’t the point of the mods.
So lets have a look…

DF824 Dragonfly
P1007105 BA USA

who wants to have a go at translating that serial # to a manufacture date?

Here are again too many pictures.

case:

headstock:

body:

battery compartment:

jackplate:

This is the GraphTech Smart Jack, which I feel protrudes a bit too much. Couldn’t get the darn thing in focus, but you see what I mean. It ought to be flat against the side of the guitar.

contents of the cavity:

I tried to get enough good views so you can see what’s going on in here.
Its pretty amazing that all this fit and it is packed pretty tight! Definitely don’t want to have to work on this on the road!

spring cavity:

(nothing special going on here. Just getting the pictures out there. Look for those individual Piezo wires.)

frets & neck:

More for anyone who wonders about DF824 fret size. These are lower than they look in these pictures.
Anyone care to guess or inform on the size these are?

Graphtech saddles:

controls:

The Piezo & Magnetic tone are both push-pull pots. Piezo has the mid/dark switch and I mostly play with it pulled out. The Mag Tone just makes the Humbucker a single coil and that is mostly how I keep it.
The standard Parker Piezo-Both-Mags switch is now a small Graphtech one and keeping it down towards the outside of the guitar is just Magnetic only. I use it that way most of the time with the piezo knob up (dark) and Piezo at about 3/4 volume so that with the flip of a switch I can add that flavor to the tone. I play with the Magnetic Tone knob almost always rolled down to zero. I can’t tell you why really, that’s just a habit I developed playing an ES175 and its what I like.

Switching the Piezo-Both-Mags switch to the center and turning the Piezo volume all the way down it doubles as a killswitch but I hardly ever have a use for that.

Primary use is as a Synthesizer, so the Synth-Both-Mags switch is set up top-to-bottom (parallel to the blade) so that it stays out of the way of the blade when set to Magnetic only.

By the way, yes, I love those Roland S1/S2 buttons. Much better than the switch. I understand how much real estate they take up, but I just like them. If any of you end up NOT using your Buttons in favor of a switch, let me know, I’d buy them from you!

I still haven’t been able to EQ the perfect acoustic sound out of the Piezos, but I haven’t plugged this in with a stereo cable yet! I’ve been pretty busy and haven’t had need of acoustic stuff while employing this.
They are great having to mix in with the Mags. I have 4 or 5 good acoustic and classical patches that I use on the GR55 and those work as a very convincing hollow body sound. I’ve read in some posts on the Vguitar forum that the Boss GP10 has some great out of the Box Acoustic patches but I haven’t had time to go check that out. Since I’m more inclined to synthesize with this, I’ll bet I’ll leave the Y-cable at home.

Feel free to now tell me I am crazy. For the last 11 months I have been trapped at home and I am just beginning to schedule rehearsals for freaking JUNE instead of last January, so I am going a little crazy.

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
P1007105 BA USA

July 2010?

I don't think you're ruining the resale on them at all. Just like with cars, you'll never get the money out of it that you put in, but I definitely think you're increasing the value. (like you said, not that that's anywhere near the point!)

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »
What a great looking Dragon Fly - nice mods  :D !

This is the GraphTech Smart Jack, which I feel protrudes a bit too much. Couldn’t get the darn thing in focus, but you see what I mean. It ought to be flat against the side of the guitar.

Next time you have it open, remove the nut and washer, slide the jack out from the back, add another same size washer on the back turned about 2/3 of the way back, then slide the jack back in to see if you have the desired depth right, then put the washer back on and tighten the nut.

It'll make a great guitar even better  ;D !

Offline jb63

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:40 PM »
P1007105 BA USA

July 2010?

So the Dragonfly Serials would work like this?

P (for parker?)
10 (Year of manufacture)
07 (Month of manufacture)
105  (Production Number)
BA (Basswood Neck / Alder Body)

Thanks again!

Offline jb63

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
Ready for one more?
I’m telling you. Crazy.

Here is #1, the 1st Fly I ever owned and the first fly I had modded. This had seen over a hundred gigs and most of them with the GK3 wart strapped on. The strap peg stripped so I had to move that and there were a few light dings but the fretboard was the best thing I had ever felt. It still is. This played better than the 97 & 98 classics I had so I sold them, but after this I tried out a Carvin Holdsworth Synth guitar and really, really wanted to just have a 13-pin jack on the guitar instead of the GK3. I had planned on doing the GK3 internal install, but this is where I ended up instead…

1996 Black Deluxe
208066BP USA
208 (day of year) July 26th
06 (Production Number)
6 (1996)

and
Here are again too many pictures.

well-used gigbag:

body:

big scar:

moved strap peg:

jackplate:

(battery stayed in the same place!)

Another GraphTech Smart Jack, which protrudes a bit too much, but I will try to fix that.

headstock:

(I have never ever had to adjust that trus rod!)

frets & neck:

(and crappy manicure)

More for anyone who wonders about 1996 classic fret size.
The trickiest part is learning to get chord voices like these to track without ghost notes. There is a LOT of tweaking in the settings of your 13-pin unit of choice to adjust for your play style and a lot of re-learning to get your technique to be precise.

After playing one of these for a while it is really nice to just plug in through the 1/4” Magnetics and relax.

Graphtech saddles:

(these need some fine-intoning, but that takes a few precious hours!)

controls:

The Piezo & Magnetic tone are both push-pull pots. Piezo has the mid/dark switch and I mostly play with it pulled out. Pulling the Mag Tone puts the humbuckers out-of-phase.

I really wanted to get this guitar painted and cleaned up because it was my favorite guitar, but it never ended up happening. I was going to paint it Pearl White for a big change.

So this was going to be a GK3-kit install, but I had the Graph Tech saddles, so I figured lets see what that system is like. I love those Roland S1/S2 buttons, so we kept those, and Dayn found some slightly longer switches that matched the old Parker switches. I really like those, but I want to find some little rubber washers to cover up that little piece of metal on them.

The whole thing was rewired point to point, and now uses all the Graph Tech components, and I kept the original Gen1 dimarzios. The Humbuckers switch is confusing as hell. You can get Bridge, Neck & Bridge or neck. Then you can pull the vol knob to make everything single coil, and you can even pull the tone knob to set the humbuckers out-of-phase. None of the combinations sound that different unless you process the signal a LOT, so clearly (to me, anyway) the Gen1 pickups don’t match the Graph Tech circuitry that well. I’ll probably make some kind of change to this someday.
But since I mostly play through the 13-pin out, mostly i’m just using the mags to enhance some of the patches.

Still crazy.

I just put these up here in case you are also crazy or have any better ideas than me!

Offline jb63

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
OK. Its like I can’t stop.
Crazy.

Here is #4, the Last Fly in the cart.
This had seen a lot of wear & tear and a pal of Dayn’s was willing to unload it cheap enough that I could get the parts and do just the 13-pin jack & GK3 I had planned on doing to the Black Deluxe without having to paint it. Its a simple mod with some simple simple instructions: Do a reverse GK install, and all Fly controls must function as stock while the output from the master volume knob will be what goes down pin 9 of the 13-pin to mix with the GK output.

Its a great fly, and while it doesn’t play as nicely as the Black ’96 Deluxe, it still plays like a fly and works great! Now I’m just boke and own too many midi Fly mods.
But I’m not complaining…

1997 Pearl Deluxe
052097BP USA
052 (day of year) February 21st
09 (Production Number)
7 (1997)

Here are again, way too many pictures.

best case I’ve owned:

(it even had 2 chambers with lids inside)

body:

scars:

Roland 13-pin jackplate:

headstock:

frets & neck:

More for anyone who wonders about 1997 classic fret size.
Also anyone who wonders about the paint details on the white models.

Old Fishman saddles:

(these need some fine-intoning, but that takes a few precious hours!)

the hexaphonic pickup:

controls:

Essentially, just added S1 & S2 and a volume knob for Synth, as well as the Synth / Mags / Both switch.

Less crazy.

I just put these up here in case you are also crazy or have any better ideas than me!
Post away if you have pics of your MIDI mods!

Offline Mr303

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:43 PM »
You gotta wonder what happened to take that chunk out of it!
That had to hurt and ya really hate to see it.
But she still plays......how cool, a guitar with character..
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 11:11:37 PM »
Cool stuff JB. Did anyone catch that 2015 mojo midi. Went for just over $3k. Dayne,  you could have sold mine for at least $2k...

Offline jb63

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
I'm always both happy and sad when I see a guitar-- especially a midi one-- sell for 3k.
There isn't enough money changing hands when you PLAY guitar for money to shell out those costs-- BUT-- like Notes always says, if you play for a living a guitar is cheap compared to most instruments, and $3k isn't much.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:04:11 PM by jb63 »

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
Agreed JB.  I was trying to make a point for all the folks that said a Midi mojo wouldn't sell for much.  The Gk3 ones just aren't out there for sale making them desirable.  Sure,  we can all do the graph tech hexpander on the newer stuff,  but it's not as good. I'll probably have one more Midi fly up for sale here in a few weeks. I did finally manage to locate some fretwire for my other mojo. 

Offline daynwarren

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »
JB63 - REALLY fun to see these well documented, thanks for sharing!

Offline jb63

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »
Only 1 left before I start trying to change another guitar again!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:04:43 PM by jb63 »

Offline jb63

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
New Knobs Day!

All these knobs are at 10 (full gain) in the picture. The Piezo blend is dead center and goes either way to about 4 or 8 o'clock.
It's a really fun guitar to play, even if it changes the entire Parker Controls setup to be more like the Brian Moore guitars.
I haven't really processed the Mags signal much and played it as more than a Synthesizer, but MOST of my patches include the Regular pickup in the mix, so I need to do a little chart with notes of just how much the signal is different from using a GK3 and that's time I didn't budget for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Knurled-Ebony-Guitar-Knobs-with-Abalone-Dot-7-8-dia-x-5-8h-/162061362934?hash=item25bb9c26f6:g:tTYAAOSwu4BVuszD

I will probably change these up at some point for something thinner like the ones before, but right now I like the wide ones that seem to force a very precise and delicate touch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:05:24 PM by jb63 »