Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Locking tuners...reduex  (Read 4200 times)

Offline supersecretjim

Locking tuners...reduex
« on: January 31, 2006, 12:16:27 AM »
I just recieved my Grover automatic locking tuners in the mail today. Two sets actually. I put them on my old Shadow brand guitars to replace the vintage Schallers which were non-locking.

The Schallers seemed to drift out of tune all the time. These grovers are a direct fit for Schaller, Gotoh & other grover rotomatic tuners with a 10mm hole.

These work great & are the smoothest operating tuners Ive ever used. Any of you looking to replace the grovers on your PM series, this is the tuner for you! I had a PM last may & the tuners were grover 18:1 ratio & were pretty good, but these things just rule.

If you want to keep your P series guitars looking stock (no extra holes or holes showing), but kept in tune you should really consider these babies.

There is no external knob to actuate. As soon as you start turning the tuner, the internal lock starts to clamp down & once it does then the tuner starts to turn & wind. This is all done inside what appears to be a regular tuner housing. Its really quite ingenious.

Got mine on the Bay for $40.00 each set in chrome.

James W
New sheriff in small town...

05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 05 Fly Mojo custom butterscotch burst, ??????????? , Trans green Nitefly Mojo flame top, Nitefly-M, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, Peavey XXX Combo, Crate acoustic 112 combo & Powerblock, GK 250 ml stereo combo, Genz Benz cabs, Pod XT Live, more stuff...
James W

Custom Wayne Charvel Villian, Carvin CT-6M flametop, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, 05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Nitefly-M, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra (Is there really anything else?)

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline vince a

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:07:55 PM »
ssjim,

I echo your remarks. I brought those tuners up last week for discussion, and got mixed comments.

I picked up a set this past Saturday . . . the mini locking rotomatics . . . ingenious, to say the least!!!

Parker PM-20 (Bubinga) with a Pro PM-20 in my sights!

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline supersecretjim

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 11:44:07 PM »
I think some people may just be so set on Sperzels, that they wont open up to anything else for their Parker P series. Im all for keeping a guitar looking stock (not drilling extra holes & having other holes showing)& these are great for that application.

James W

05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 05 Fly Mojo custom butterscotch burst, ??????????? , Trans green Nitefly Mojo flame top, Nitefly-M, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, Peavey XXX Combo, Crate acoustic 112 combo & Powerblock, GK 250 ml stereo combo, Genz Benz cabs, Pod XT Live, more stuff...
James W

Custom Wayne Charvel Villian, Carvin CT-6M flametop, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, 05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Nitefly-M, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra (Is there really anything else?)

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline Spleenless Dave

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »
I was looking at the mini Grover locking tuners at a couple of online stores, and wondered if they worked well or not.  Do you just trim off the string and there is no need for any string winding at all once it clamps?  My Grovers have that little screw mount down to the lower right when looking from the back on my P-36, and it looked like the auto clamp mini Grovers had the exact same set up.

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline supersecretjim

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 02:10:06 PM »
Exactly. A perfect fit. Just pull the string through, & cut off the excess.

James W
photo_id=26438

James W

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline Spleenless Dave

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »
Cool!  I'll have to grab a set to replace my tuners with.  [:)]

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline vince a

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »
Ever "stick" a finger with that little piece of string that's left???

I'm an old dog, and teaching me new tricks is not easy. I need a clipper and a winder.

My son, whom I consider one of the very best of guitarists, just taught me a new (it's new to me) way of getting rid of the excess . . . and my string change times have dropped to way under five minutes . . . for an entire set.

After the string is installed, grab the length that is leftover, bend it one way, then the other  . . . like clockwise, then counterclockwise or the reverse of this . . . it doesn't matter.

Then wiggle it in those directions, back and forth. It snaps cleanly right at the hole . . . flush with the hole.

With the self-locking tuners and this . . . your string changing times should decrease too . . . leaving more time for playing!

He says this will work with non-locking tuners as well . . . as all guitars have that leftover pice of string! I guess I can throw away my clipper/winder . . . m-m-m-m, maybe after I try it on my acoustic!

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 02:23:16 AM »
if you run a coin's edge along the excess string, pulling reasonably hard, it makes the string coil up nicely into a little circle.
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline bno

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 10:19:40 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by vince a

And then that sucker gets infected - right on the tip of a finger and it affects your playing for a week....
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline vince a

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 11:00:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno

quote:
Originally posted by vince a

And then that sucker gets infected - right on the tip of a finger and it affects your playing for a week....

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Oh hell yea . . . I know what you mean!!!

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline Spleenless Dave

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 01:44:30 PM »
I know that tremolo equipped guitars use locking tuners a lot, but do many people put them on "hardtail" style guitars, just for speed of string changes?  That's what I've thought about doing with my P-36....

And speaking of jabbing your finger on the end of the string, I did it last night pretty good while putting on new strings.  Never a fun time!  lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 01:46:14 PM by Spleenless Dave »

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline sfw

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
The new PM20 Pro will have the locking tuners with a such a bridge. I know I think it's easier, plus its an easy upgrade. I put them on my F***** even though I keep the bridge down tight, rarely if ever using a trem. I have a set for my pm20 but have not had the time to put them in yet.

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350 (piezo & modeller killer)
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (still needs Cabs ):
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline Spleenless Dave

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 06:58:34 PM »
I checked around town here in KC for some, but non one had them in stock.  I'll probably pick up a set in chrome online or on Ebay...

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline supersecretjim

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 08:07:54 PM »
I live in the middle of nowhere. The closest "REAL" music store is in Vegas, about 200 miles away. I bought mine on Ebay, just because of my location. I happened to be in Vegas this weekend & saw them for $40.00 at Sam Ash, I think.

James W

05 Parker Trans red burst Fly Mojo Single cut flame top, 05 Fly Mojo custom butterscotch burst, 10th Anniversary Fly Limited edition, Trans green Nitefly Mojo flame top, Nitefly-M, Kramer Proaxe & Nightswan, Shadow S-140 guitars x3, Peavey XXX Combo, Crate acoustic 112 combo & Powerblock, GK 250 ml stereo combo, Genz Benz cabs, Pod XT Live, more stuff...
James W

Locking tuners...reduex

Offline vince a

Locking tuners...reduex
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
Try stewmac.com . . .