Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PDF60 Bridge Saddles  (Read 2815 times)

Offline HEADKNOCKER

PDF60 Bridge Saddles
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:54 AM »
Well all has been going well with the PDF60 except that it keeps breaking strings right at the bridge saddles..
Each one has a gouge or divot from the strings that ride over them & this catches on the string & causes it to break 2-3 times a week..
I am going to acquire a new set of saddles & see if this can help cure the problem, I'm not interested in piezo or I'd look into the Ghost saddles & preamp..
Who else has had this happen to their Parker?
I'm sure I could file & polish each saddle smooth & try that?
I also assume that there are three different height of saddle as the bridge looks flat to create the radius..
I think these saddles are made from pewter = Very Soft..

See Ya Around..
Gary/Hk
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Re: PDF60 Bridge Saddles

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:58:28 AM »
You can always buy the graph tech ghost saddles and just run the wires. You don't have to hook anything up to them.  Maybe your bridge is set up at the wrong angle.

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »
NO.. The setup is not wrong..
It's that the saddles are made from soft metal..
I've setup thousands of guitars in my time & haven't come across a bridge saddle that was softer than nickel wrapped strings..
I guess that after I get a set of saddles & get em changed we will see..
Of course i will modify the original saddles somehow afterwards, maybe even superglue a couple of balls to each..
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »
What saddles will you buy then? I've got dozens of the same saddles you have already if you need more.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »
Probably not useful for this discussion ... but the original Parker saddles (the ones that look like screw heads) seem to be superior to every variation that followed them (at least four different types). Never understood why the company couldn't leave well enough alone.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
I saw a thread here several years ago & there are at least 7 different saddles.. Here ---> http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=10919.0
If I had too I could drill & tap a stainless or brass plug into the face of the old saddle to look like the original style.. Hmmm??
I'm just getting sick & tired of changing strings on my son's guitar..
My Jackson/Charvel with floyd doesn't have this problem.. All my Gibsons & Fenders seem to be immune too..
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
I saw a thread here several years ago & there are at least 7 different saddles.. Here ---> http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=10919.0

Yeah, my original thread. I guess I lost count. ;)
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »
I believe any dog bone will fit. Wiguitar on eBay has lots

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
I got the new dogbone saddles in the mail this morning from wiguitar..
I'll note that one of them has a pin on the underside the other five do not?
I'm not yet sure if the bridge is radiused & the saddles are the same height or if there are three different heights to them?
I'll take my digi caliper to them & the old ones & see what's up with that..
Should get around to it after lunch IF I get the grass cut etc.

At least the new ones are smooth where the string rides across
Now to try an remember if I put .009"s or .010"s on this PDF60?? digi caliper again..

Wish my son's guitar luck
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
I got the grass cut, My Son cut it..

The saddles where a direct replacement for the originals, in fact looked exactly the same..
The one saddle had a pin/nub on the rear bottom area of the saddle that none of the others had including the old ones..
I just filed that off flush & smooth & installed & tried my hand at just getting the new saddles where the old ones where as far as intonation goes & threw a new set of .009"s on..
All looks good, I will let you all know IF this took care of the string breakage problem after several days of hard playing..

Only cost us $16.85 for the set of six with FREE S&H which was much cheaper than I would have ever thought..

Here's where we ordered them from = wiguitar on eBay ----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NEW-OLDSTOCK-PEWTER-PARKER-FLY-SERIES-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BRIDGE-SADDLES-/172251915746?hash=item281b03a5e2:g:eJkAAOSwBahU0pfp

Thanks to all that replied..
Still loving the Parker..
Gary/Hk

Also the radius is part bridge & all six saddles are the same height/width etc.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:22:09 PM by HEADKNOCKER »
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
Good buy.

Sometimes it's not the saddles but rather the tailpiece part of the bridge. The thru holes can sometimes develop a burr too and break strings. Just smooth it out if so.

One other thing is the high e can unravel with certain brands.

But if there was a visible burr on the saddles then that was almost definitely the issue.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline HEADKNOCKER

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 01:37:02 AM »
It's been two weeks & it hasn't broken a string yet & it's been being played pretty hard up in my Son's studio..

Just checking back in..

Gary/Hk
"JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY"

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »
Glad to hear it!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]