Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 97' Nitefly neck perfectly straight!?  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Corey

97' Nitefly neck perfectly straight!?
« on: July 25, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »
Hi,

I was getting lots of string buzz and finally took the neck off my 97' Nitefly. The neck is completely straight! The frets line up perfectly, straight as an arrow.

I grabbed a 1/8" rod and attempted to adjust the truss rod and put some curve into the neck.  It doesn't budge. The silver dial is completely cranked tight and I even bent the rod I torqued on it so much. Nothing! No bend in the neck whatsoever.

What do I gotta do to properly adjust the truss rod and put a nice bow in the neck? 

Re: 97' Nitefly neck perfectly straight!?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »
The silver dial is completely cranked tight and I even bent the rod I torqued on it so much. Nothing! No bend in the neck whatsoever.

Are you in fact turning it the right way to provide neck relief? That's done by loosening, not tightening.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:14 PM »
If the neck is straight, it's probably not the neck then, no?

Where is it buzzing? How is the action? Was the neck angle off?  Is the bridge adjusted correctly? Nut filed too low?

lots of things can cause a buzz but the details will help us help you quicker.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:22:27 AM »
Yep, you should be undoing (loosening), not tightening to add relief.

I bought a 2nd hand Southern Nitefly from the US. That had a very stiff truss rod that wouldn't budge. Discovered just after I got it (gotta check there's nothing dodgy I'll find out later)! I asked the seller about it and he said he'd never touched it since the factory. Since I didn't want to lose a s**tload of money on posting it around the world and back + all the import duty I bend the truss rod tool too. In the end I took the neck off and just a gritted my teeth and pop!, all of a sudden loosened slightly. I loosened it right off and tried to lube it a bit with something (I forget what now), and worked the nut thing back and forth a load. Now it's still a little stiff, but works perfectly and I didn't have to send it back. I think it had just "glued" itself into the finish.

So obviously the risk is yours but sheer brute force, bending the tool, and cringing worked for me. Make sure you're not tightening it though!
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline Corey

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »
If I loosen the silver nut it spins right off and your just left with a threaded rod sticking out of the bottom of the neck. How can this possibly bend the neck? The silver nut has to be turned clockwise(to the right) and tightened against the bottom of the neck to produce the bend.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
If I loosen the silver nut it spins right off and your just left with a threaded rod sticking out of the bottom of the neck.

That means the truss rod is doing nothing at all.

How can this possibly bend the neck?

Loosening the nut allows the string tension to bend the neck. That's called relief, which is presumably what you're seeking. If you want more relief you now need to use heavier strings with more tension.

The silver nut has to be turned clockwise(to the right) and tightened against the bottom of the neck to produce the bend.

One would only do that when there's too much relief. In your case, starting with a perfectly straight neck, you would end up with a backbowed neck.

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Corey

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »
Middle one: relief.

Is the adjustment instant? Does it take time for the strings to put relief in the neck if I loosen the nut?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
It might take a while to react. But if the truss rod is completely loosened, you're done ... all you can do is wait.

Offline Corey

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Corey

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
Syber,

Okay so I loosened the round truss rod nut and let the guitar sit for 2 days. Nothing! The neck is still perfectly straight. My guitar is tuned down a half-step to Eb. Perhaps I should tune the entire guitar up to F and hopefully it will be enough tension to relieve the neck.

If not, I might have to build a cradle jig at our wood-shop. Basically take the neck off, cradled at each end then pressure applied in the center to bow the neck. It would all be done in a vise.

Later,

Corey

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
Well, whatever works, I guess. When strung with a set of .008 D'Addarios, my Fly has just enough relief to accommodate three sheets of printer paper - about .011 inch - and that feels perfect. I've never so much as nudged the truss rod in my 6+ years of ownership.

Offline syncopa

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
I've heard of people taking a drum stick and positioning it at around the 17th fret and tuning up and leaving it for a few days. They say it helps against back bow so should work to put some relief in.
1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »
Corey,
I suspect your rod is "set" in its pocket preventing any motion of the neck.  If tightening it does not get you some backbow, and the neck is stiff no matter what, the rod is just "glued" in.  A little bit of force on the neck won't hurt and may loosen up the rod so it has some effect on the neck curvature.
The other thing you can look at is the nut and how deep it is cut.
If the neck is straight, if the nut was cut correctly and the frets were not messed with by a previous owner, the guitar should be beautifully playable.
Hope you can set things straight - oops, I mean get some relief!  ;)
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
Agree with pat, but try a few drops of "3 in 1" oil in the cavity and let it sit overnight. (It can soften any paint inside the cavity enough to let it break free.)

The next day, tighten it and see if you get any more motion.

If so, hopefully loosening will then get you some relief.   

But check your fret thread for my other post too.

Keep that oil off your cosmetic paint and fretboard..!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:24:07 PM by billy »
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Corey

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
Corey,

Hope you can set things straight - oops, I mean get some relief!  ;)

:)

Tuned up to F and left it a while. Finally! Got a nice relief bow so the rod must be working properly.

I am quite relieved I got a result as I wasn't looking into changing to .010 gauge strings. I prefer the .009's and the nut seems to be cut specifically for .009's, I doesn't even look like a set of .010's would fit in the slots.

Corey