Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 97' Nitefly fret replacment?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline TinMachine

Re: 97' Nitefly fret replacment?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 09:33:57 AM »
Corey,  the problem still is that nobody knows who actually originally manufactured these. If you are talking about calling up any already in business fret wire maker,  you are talking about more than just 500 pieces and certainly more than 500 people.  It would cost several thousand dollars,  maybe even in the tens of thousands to create the machinery to get this going. So then you come back to needing to know who made these originally.  It could have been in house by Parker themselves,  as many of their parts were. The factory is closed and all the machines and parts have been liquidated.  I will say a third time that I have been trying to find this information for over a year now to no avail.

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 05:58:05 PM »
You're welcome Corey. Agree that new "old" frets won't be easy to get. Making 24 from tanged frets will be a pain but maybe possible.  With any luck you can just do the ones you need.

Anyway...  Putting 1+1 together from your truss rod thread (I'm still at 1.5) maybe this will help:

I think your guitar has a neck angle issue.

Additionally, the truss rod may be stuck in the cavity, like Patrick said.

So the "easy" "fix" of adding relief wouldn't work for the person who had it before you.

Someone then tried to "fix" it by taking some height off the highest frets.

And now they're low, but you still have buzz.

So now you're here looking to add relief and replace all the frets, even though the nitefly has jumbo frets.

Although I'm just speculating, I think I understand your thinking a little better now.

If it is a neck angle problem, it might be caused by paint that is too thick at the heel, in the truss rod cavity, or in the neck pocket. (Especially possible if someone did a "post sale custom" paint job.)

Post some pics and just maybe we can help you get this back to being a great guitar with minimal time and effort.

Btw big swifty posted a great pdf about frets. I know there's a video too but haven't had time to search.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:18:48 PM by billy »
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Corey

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »
So then you come back to needing to know who made these originally.  It could have been in house by Parker themselves,  as many of their parts were. The factory is closed and all the machines and parts have been liquidated.  I will say a third time that I have been trying to find this information for over a year now to no avail.

Yes, the only contact I will attempt to make in the next few months is with Parker, specifically inquiring about their OEM fret supplier. It has to be that way to get the radius of the fret board exact and the bottom of the fret which has a wave to it like a letter "w".

Tin, private message me with the information you've acquired in the last year concerning this matter.  Any Parker contact numbers would be appreciated.

Corey

Offline Corey

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »
"Making 24 from tanged frets will be a pain but maybe possible.  With any luck you can just do the ones you need."

It's going to have to be the OEM Parker frets.

"Someone then tried to "fix" it by taking some height off the highest frets."

No, these frets are untouched.

"So now you're here looking to add relief and replace all the frets, even though the nitefly has jumbo frets."

Jumbo is a relative term. My last guitar was a Paul Gilbert signature Ibanez(PGM300) and it had jumbo frets which were way taller than these. See, I am spoiled by Ibanez guitars with their Wizard necks and tall frets.

"If it is a neck angle problem, it might be caused by paint that is too thick at the heel, in the truss rod cavity, or in the neck pocket. (Especially possible if someone did a "post sale custom" paint job.)"

Don't know what a heel is. The guitar is stock paint, sunburst, looks exactly like David Walliman's guitar here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCvDf3L6zg

Also could be a neck angle problem as you stated. When I take the neck off it is shimmed in the cavity with a cheap piece of plastic from the factory. Perhaps I should take the shim out, bolt the neck back on and see if the buzz improves. Either way if the shim needs to be there, I think I will improve on it, experimenting with greater neck angle. I really will have to get my mom to send me up my vernier calipers from the farm before I begin constructing different shim depth's though.

Later

Offline billy

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 07:00:10 AM »
The heel is the part where the neck meets the body.

I've seen all kinds of things used as shims, matchbook covers, biz cards, picks, wood, soda can slices, etc.

Hope it all works out for you.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 01:58:47 PM »
And I'm hoping to possibly know who made these by next week.  It's been over a year my friends. Stay tuned...

Offline Corey

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 03:27:53 PM »
Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. I actually work in a wood-shop and have access to all kinds of saws and hand tools to fabricate jigs, shims etc.

Going to replace the speaker in my Marshall MG50CFX with a Celestion A-Type. Once I have the cabinet apart I am going to make a bunch of brace cleating for the insides of the cabinet to add structural strength and rigidity without adding a bunch of weight.

http://nextgenguitars.ca/products/celestion-a-type.html  8)

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen,  after almost 2 years of searching,  I have finally located who made the fretwire for Parker. Anyone interested?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
Sure. And do they still offer it?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »
the name of the company that makes the frets is Radcliffe wire, it might be Radcliffe steel. It is out east, maybe Conn.

Offline billy

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »
http://radcliffwire.com/wire-finder/

You can get a quote at the link.

Not sure if they'd sell you parker frets outright, since they are proprietary.  (Unless there's some weird clause that makes it not so.)

I guess you could spec the same thing, and retool.  But that's a pretty involved discussion, per my comments earlier, and then some if you look at the info they want for a quote.

Great info though, hope to hear more soon.
Billy

Offline jjozwia

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
the name of the company that makes the frets is Radcliffe wire, it might be Radcliffe steel. It is out east, maybe Conn.

Nicely done!!!

Offline Corey

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 06:38:56 PM »
Parker might allow the sale of true jumbo's which technically wouldn't be proprietary because they simply don't offer them.

I never even prayed for this yet!  Thanks Tin!  Good hope here.

Cor

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »
Keep us posted.  Best of Luck

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:25 AM »
Dave at USM mentioned Radcliff to me back in May via email. He also said if I needed a fret or two they had some donor Flys still they could pull from. FWIW.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...