Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Satin finish modification  (Read 2125 times)

Offline jb63

Satin finish modification
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
Hi everybody.
I have just finished scouring the forum reading everything I possibly can about matte finishes. It's been a weird read. There seems to be quite a few out there but I have never seen one except in pictures or the do series with the bolt on neck. 

What I'm wondering is would it be possible to strip a gloss-finished classic and have it finished in matte?
The guitar I want to try it with is in great shape except for the neck, which needs some work and possibly a fretboard replaced. There's a lot of love for Shazrock here, but Sharon has already told me that she can't replace the fretboard and I'm guessing is just too busy to take on a project.  With the factory closing, there doesn't seem to be anyone who is willing to take a chance on doing anything difficult with a Parker. Fortunately there are a lot of them out there in good shape, but once they get a little bruised, or say, the fretboard falls off, what do you do?

Re: Satin finish modification

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »
Every once in awhile wiguitar on eBay gets a fretboard.  Why do you need to replace the fretboard? 

Offline jb63

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »
Oh yes,  the lifting fretboard.  I would contact wiguitar direct and ask him. He always has stuff laying around that he doesn't have listed.  I know he has had these before.  Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/172259806447

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »
You can actually just scuff up the existing finish and spray a matt clear over the top.

Not for amateurs but quicker and cheaper than a full strip.

Pm me about your fretboard. Traveling but will respond soon.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:45 PM »
Wiguitar has these back in Stock now

Offline Mr303

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
You can actually just scuff up the existing finish and spray a matt clear over the top.

Not for amateurs but quicker and cheaper than a full strip.

This is the most cost effective way to get a matte finish from an existing gloss one.
It is also a preferred way if the original paint is in good condition since it only effects the surface

I suggest you buy a cheap gloss guitar and practice on it.

Sand by hand only.
Use fine sand paper and sand very lightly, very evenly, making sure to just break the glossy finish surface. Light and even is critical to a good end result.
 I use wet/dry sand paper I have on hand usually 2500-3500 grit and change sheets frequently when I get buildup on the paper.
Dust lightly but thoroughly with a tacky rag before finishing.
Tape off everything and everywhere you don't want it matte before sanding.
Work in a very well lit area to help see any flaws, mistakes, or missed areas.
It's mind numbing work but fun at the same time.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:49:20 PM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline jb63

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
Thanks, guys!
Once I get a minute I'll revisit this. Still have an actual plan for this guitar! But apparently I'll need to scrape off the fretboard, put on a new one, sand and prep the neck (I will probably never pull that off) then work on wet-sanding down the gloss face...

It all seems like som thing I'll never finish, but then, 2 years ago I wouldn't have said the same thing. So...

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »
Agree with mr303 tips. Practice first. Use a few thin coats instead of thick coats.

I would try fixing the existing fretboard before scraping it off, that should. E a last resort.  Let me know if I can help, I have some ideas.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »
Wiguitar has several boards with the frets already glued. Might want to grab something before you can't.

Offline jb63

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 10:45:14 PM »
"I already got one."

--French Guy at The Castle