Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitefly - should i buy?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Beaujacks

Nitefly - should i buy?
« on: August 19, 2016, 02:28:21 PM »
Hi Parker fans, I am looking at buying a Nitefly, 1997 model with 3 single coils. On the photos I can't see a push button so I guess it is a version 1 model. Any opinions on this model? I would also appreciate any advice on what I should look out for when examining the guitar and trying it out. One more question - is it possible to swap the bridge single coil for a humbucker (and if so, how to go about that....).

Re: Nitefly - should i buy?

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
The Nitefly is a great solid guitar.  If the price is reasonable,  go for it.

Offline Corey

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
Sure, replace the pickguard with one from WD Music and you can get a humbucker in there.

This is my recommendation and personal choice because I don't like the "glassy" sound of single coils :

http://www.wdmusic.com/parker_nitefly_m_pickguard_nfm_8228bk.html

I have a Duncan "Pearly Gates" neck pickup for it. This is the second "Pearly Gates" I've owned and the sound is like a true Les Paul but with a silky high end. I have not heard a better sounding pickup.

Corey

Offline Beaujacks

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 03:26:13 AM »
Hey, thanks for the advice! For the PU replacement i want to replace only the bridge single coil with a humbucker and leave the neck and middle single coils in place. The link you sent is for a pickguard with 2 humbuckers, so any advice on that would be very welcome.

Offline Corey

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »
Hey, thanks for the advice! For the PU replacement i want to replace only the bridge single coil with a humbucker and leave the neck and middle single coils in place. The link you sent is for a pickguard with 2 humbuckers, so any advice on that would be very welcome.

Sure, go with the WD Music S/S/H configuration then :

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_nfsa_8100.html

Pick whatever color you want out of them.  My guitar is a Sunburst so I went with the Black Pearl. I'll post a picture of my guitar when I get the gold Sperzel tuners and black Graphtech saddles. It is going to look sanctified!

For pickups I would recommend the Duncan "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup. And the Little 59' Strat neck pickup(SL59-1n)  I would wire them both in parallel for hum cancelling and then select between the 2 for sound. You can order the pickguard from WD with no volume controls drilled or pickup selector slot milled. That's what I did. My pickguard has 1 hole drilled(by me) for my PEC volume pot and 1 tiny hole drilled for my on-on-on selector. That's it!

Corey

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 02:39:31 AM »
I've just got myself an H/H/S pick guard made for me by WD too. I'll no doubt post some pics when I have some pickups in and have tried it out!  :o
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...