Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing saddles; where to start?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Jakse

Changing saddles; where to start?
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
Hi, I have a pre-refined Fly that I simply love but the saddles are snapping my strings. How would I go about changing them? And please know that I have zero knowledge on this matter.
FYI the jack has been replaced by the newer one you can buy on ebay and the ribbon cable has been replaced with normal cables.

thanks guys!

Re: Changing saddles; where to start?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
Hi, I have a pre-refined Fly that I simply love but the saddles are snapping my strings.

First, look at this and tell us which saddles you have:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,10919.msg99415.html#msg99415

How would I go about changing them?

You might not need to change them if they can be smoothed.

If you do need to change them, I assume only a couple of strings are actually breaking. You would need to source direct replacements for those saddles, put them in place, and re-solder some wires under the bridge.

Or, you could install all new saddles (and re-solder all the wires).
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Jakse

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »
It's the pre-refined ones! The first picture with piezo :-)  the low E, A and D are snapping the strings. I had the E and A rounded and they've stopped snapping the strings.. Now it is only the D string. I guess I could settle with having that one rounded as well. Just thought I'd change them for good measures. But maybe not that necessary?

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »
Can they not be swapped out for graph tech piezo saddles?

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 04:48:58 PM »
I have no complaints concerning the graphtech saddles on my '96 Fly, though they did seem to affect the tone in a way others may dislike.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
It's the pre-refined ones! The first picture with piezo :-)  the low E, A and D are snapping the strings.

That's weird. When we hear about saddles breaking strings, it's usually the much newer Butt-cheek style, and it's usually the high strings.

had the E and A rounded and they've stopped snapping the strings.. Now it is only the D string. I guess I could settle with having that one rounded as well.

Personally, that's what I would do first.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers