Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mag/Both/Piezo Switch replacement (and a few other things)  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Shepherd

Mag/Both/Piezo Switch replacement (and a few other things)
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
Hi all,

I've got a 2013 Fly Mojo which I've taken loving care of since receiving it second hand in 2015. It's had frets fall off, I've had to shim the vibrato, it gives me struggles, but I love it so so much.

My most recent problem is stumping me though. The mag/both/piezo switch, which comes factory as some sort of modified les paul toggle, got damaged (physically), so I went to replace it with a switchcraft version with an almost identical design. I soldered it up exactly the same way but i can't on EARTH figure out how to get it all working.
The mag position will work fine, the "both" position is dead, and the piezo position works fine.
The original toggle was was connected to ground via the big ground screw in the control cavity, as well as to the ground connection on the acoustiphonic, and it appears that it was also somehow physically modified so that it didn't function the way those switches normally do..

Emailing USMC yielded this response

"Jack,

There is only one source for the original switch and that is Gman.musicllc@gmail.com.
Parker actually shut down its operation in July of 2015 and all the parts and assets of the company have been sold.
The gents name is Mike and you will need to tell him you need a Mag/Piezo switch for a 2013 USA Fly and attach a pic of the switch you need.
He can set you up with the switch you need."

Whoever owns that email hasn't responded to me as yet.

Emailing Gray Bramwell at Graphtech, the day prior, had a little more success, as below

"I believe the issue in this case is that your replacement switch functions in an on/on/on capacity, the quickswitch needs on/off/on function. You can probably bend or cut the center contacts to ensure that the switch doesn't touch the outer lugs in the middle position......."

Included in his email was this diagram
http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/hexpander-first-row.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I asked further on how to perform the mod and he responded

"It is fine if the bent inner lugs make contact with the outer lugs (see my diagram). You could cut the inner contacts if you would prefer. Unfortunately we do not offer any switch modification tips / instructions for this process."

Somehow the switchcraft switch I've installed won't function correctly when wired as per the diagram.

Anyone got any idea how to modify a standard toggle to function as the quickswitch?

I know the problem is not my acoustiphonic board as I just replaced it (unnecessarily it would seem).

Please help! the switch was surprisingly important to my performance, turns out.

Thanks
Jack Shepherd

Re: Mag/Both/Piezo Switch replacement (and a few other things)

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
Oh, also, a side note - anybody know what pitch the saddle screws are? or where to get replacements? mine are rusty as HELL

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »
I think I have an extra switch. Also,  do those use the Fishman or graph tech preamp?  If it's the Fishman,  you need the Fishman jack I believe.  Or perhaps you just need a stereo chord.

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
As stated, it's a 2013 and uses the graphtech :)

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »
Yes,  it's a slightly different switch. Gman music or aka wiguitar has them also.

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
Do you know what specifically about it is different? It's the same design as the switchcraft, I'd like to understand why one works and the other doesn't

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »
It does seem like any old switch should work,  but they don't. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/172339963268

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
That is both really useful (thanks so much!) and intensely darned frustrating. My problem with the Parker stock switch is, it failed.. If it did it once, I'd be unsurprised if it did it again, hence wanting to mod a switchcraft for longevity. Plus... Just installing a part I can't even figure out the mechanics of feels wrong.. heard of any mods or info on the quickswitch with a toggle?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »
My problem with the Parker stock switch is, it failed.. If it did it once, I'd be unsurprised if it did it again, hence wanting to mod a switchcraft for longevity.

Statistically, your failed switch is in a very small minority. Most have not failed.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 03:23:59 AM »
My problem with the Parker stock switch is, it failed.. If it did it once, I'd be unsurprised if it did it again, hence wanting to mod a switchcraft for longevity.

Statistically, your failed switch is in a very small minority. Most have not failed.

Mmm, statistically I won the lottery then. 3 out of 4 switches on my two Parkers have failed and needed modding or replacing. Either the contacts would touch in the wrong position, or in one case, the switch just fell apart. All 4 of them are noisy if you switch slowly.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 05:33:56 AM »
What he said.. Not trying to be belligerent but it seems like this should be something we should all be able to figure out. Then I can make up a proper set of instructions and host a off somewhere for anybody else who has this problem

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »
This document has wiring diagrams.  http://www.parkerguitars.com/support/manuals/ParkerElectronicsTechnicalBulletin.pdf

I also checked the graphtech install manual and like you mentioned, they sell a "quick switch", which is spec'd as an spdt on/off/on switch.  (page 11) 

http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/ghost-installation-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I don't think the quick switch will fit the holes in the parker, also kind of small and delicate looking I think.

I think I remember hearing that part of the problem was that the few other available switches with the same configurations did not fit in the cavity and were really expensive.

I don't see why another style of spdt on/off/on should work fine otherwise.

Maybe something like one of these:

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Toggle-Switches/_/N-5g2j?P=1yzocq2Z1yzu3l0Z1yztuc4Z1z0z2xmZ1z0z26cZ1z0z812Z1z0z357Z1z0z63v&Keyword=spdt&FS=True

you'll have to check the data sheets carefully though to see if they'll fit.  wiring should look a lot like the diagram in the parker tech bulletin page 8, the graphtech doc you posted earlier, or the quick switch picture I posted in.

Stew mac has these, which might be easier to modify than what you have, don't know if it will fit though. Wish they had a bottom view.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Right-angle_Metric_Toggle_Switch.html

The right internal switch connections should allow your guitar to work without issue.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
And you can desolder and resolder to the original switch. I believe graph tech says something about this in their literature. Gray from graphtech is a very helpful guy.  Email him.

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »

Mmm, statistically I won the lottery then. 3 out of 4 switches on my two Parkers have failed and needed modding or replacing.

Make that 4 out of 4. Seriously...
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »
http://www.graphtech.com/docs/default-document-library/les-paul-toggle-switch.pdf?sfvrsn=4

The Graphtech literature gives a little graphic there that isn't of any real use.. Doesn't give enough detail on how to solder it up, and Gray has thus far proved useful, but only to a point, as per my longer post above