Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 single coil pups?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline billlozon

3 single coil pups?
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:55:07 AM »
Forgive a newbie question here but I know this is the place to get the answers I need. I'm about to buy a '97 (I think) Nitefly with what appear to be 3 single pick ups. Yet, every photo I bring up on line seems to show at least one humbucker in the bridge position. Did Parker produce many 3 single coil pup guitars? Or, is it something a previous owner may have done on his own? Finally, how practical would it be to change out the bridge single coil for a humbucker?
Thanks,
Bill
Columbia, SC

Re: 3 single coil pups?

Offline jester700

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »
Yes, the NFV1 had 3 singles. How difficult it would be to swap depends on the humbucker you choose. There are single coil sized ones that should pretty much drop right in, though most folks don't think they sound exactly like the bigger versions. I don't know if there's already a rout large enough for a full size bucker, but since there were Nitefly versions that had them there may be. If not, the rout wouldn't be that big a deal for a decent woodworker or luthier, as it's covered by the pickguard. Cutting the pickguard might be the bigger issue, unless you can find a used one with the correct cutout.

Offline jb63

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »
I love the 3 single coil Dimarzio nitefly!
There is plenty of room underneath to swap any pickups in, but the easiest way is to buy the pickguard for the configuration you need.

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »
AFAIK you can just buy any Nitefly, buy the right HH/HSS/SSS or a custom unlisted config like HSH or my HHS from WD music and you can throw any combo you like in. :)

Although you need to widen any humbucker holes slightly if you want ones with covers.
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
I don't know if there's already a rout large enough for a full size bucker, but since there were Nitefly versions that had them there may be.

I've posted this pic before; but for the record, the Nitefly route is nothing short of one giant hole. Get whatever pickguard suits you and enjoy.

Offline billlozon

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 04:27:44 PM »
First off, thanks to jester, jb63, pip and reset for their replies. Though it pains me greatly, I've got to tell you that I decided to walk away from this one. When I showed up to play the guitar at the pawn shop near Charlotte (NC), I got popping and cracking from the jack. Hoping it was the cable, I switched to another one with the same result. Then I discovered a similar noise when activating the stereo/mono button. The whammy bar, wrenches and case were MIA. Taken altogether it just seems like I'd be buying trouble. So, I'll keep looking...

Offline neilderemer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
How much was it ? There is a red 98 nfv4 on reverb Bill. It has the HSS setup you are talking about. I own one.. same year actually... And color... And it's great. It's red btw.

Offline jb63

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 10:31:47 PM »
years of neglect! sometimes you can fix it with some deoxit, sometimes not.

Offline Corey

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 01:24:43 AM »
I've got to tell you that I decided to walk away from this one. When I showed up to play the guitar at the pawn shop near Charlotte (NC), I got popping and cracking from the jack. Hoping it was the cable, I switched to another one with the same result. Then I discovered a similar noise when activating the stereo/mono button. The whammy bar, wrenches and case were MIA. Taken altogether it just seems like I'd be buying trouble. So, I'll keep looking...

It wasn't a 1997 if it had a stereo/mono button meaning the active Fishman preamp.

All the 97's were the passive 1 meg piezo and stereo cable.

Corey

Offline billlozon

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Neil, JB and Corey, they wanted $799 which they reduced to $750 but to quote Dirty Harry, "a man's got to know his limitations" and I certainly know mine. I wasn't about to try to fix BOTH and jack and switch issue on what appears to be a pretty complex guitar and I wasn't confident I could find a competent Parker-savvy tech here in Columbia, SC which seems to be a vast wasteland in terms of good guitar shops.
Happily, I think I've settled on a Nitefly Mojo listed on the Board by one of the members. If I pull the trigger on it later today, I'll let you know and proudly post pics.
Bill

Offline billlozon

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
All: I decided to pull the trigger on a Nitefly Mojo (natural mahogany) being sold by a forum member. Now comes the hard part...waiting for FedEx to deliver it!
Bill
Columbia, SC

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
Awesome!  Can't go wrong

Offline neilderemer

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »
If you haven't pulled the trigger - there's a NFV4 98 model black on black on ebay for 699 buy it now right now - starting bid is about 350... might snag it for a good price.

Offline billlozon

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
Neil, too late, trigger got pulled yesterday but I appreciate the thought. I'm going to be happier with the Seymour Duncans anyway I think.

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
Good work, you'll love it. :)

Since I already have a number of niteflies (many of which I've modded the electronics on even though there was nothing 'wrong' with them), I've now progressed the the geeky levels of buying a clapped out and slightly abused SSS one that needs quite a bit of work. I am wondering if I've been a fool, but I couldn't justify the money of buying yet another great condition Fly/Nitefly!  :o
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...