Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing my 1998 Fly Cassic hex vibrato bar  (Read 1404 times)

Offline kurtfriedrich

Removing my 1998 Fly Cassic hex vibrato bar
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
(I did search before asking!)

Does it just yank out, as with a friction fit? The old manuals say it is slightly bent, and the amount of bend determines how tight it is.
I really don't want to damage my Fly tugging on it.

thanks.

Re: Removing my 1998 Fly Cassic hex vibrato bar

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:26:51 AM »

Does it just yank out, as with a friction fit?

Yes, although let's say firmly but carefully pull rather than yank.

The old manuals say it is slightly bent, and the amount of bend determines how tight it is.

Correctamundo.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline kurtfriedrich

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
REALLY does not want to come out.  should I loosen the screw on the back of the bridge?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
REALLY does not want to come out.  should I loosen the screw on the back of the bridge?

Unless something has gone wonky inside, that set screw has little if any effect on holding the arm in place; it's there to fine tune the resistance to rotation from 'totally floppy' to 'totally firm'... but it can't hurt to loosen it a bit. You can also try slightly loosening the back end of the bushing assembly - visible from the back of the guitar - with a 3/16 hex wrench. Again, that's not guaranteed to help, but it won't hurt. That and the set screw will have to be re-adjusted to taste later.

If the arm still remains stuck, I would employ the principle of the lever by - carefully! - using a screwdriver or some such thing rested on a fulcrum placed on the solid part of the bridge, with everything wrapped in protective cloth.

Once you get the arm out, it normally takes very little effort to seat it or remove it.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:53:53 PM »
I think I would try putting a decent amount of ice in a plastic bag, and set the bag on the bar as close to the bushing as possible. Let it sit there for 15 min or so and try then. That along with the syber idea should get you there. A tiny drop of 321 oil where the bar goes in can't hurt either, just keep it well away from the frets.

Failing all that, I think you can take the bar and bushing out from the bridge and use some more persuasion.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:39:34 PM »
Yeah, lube it a little, might be oxidisation (my new favourite reason for anything that doesn't work!)

And double yeah, keep it away from the frets!

You can actually access it from the back of the guitar.

The longer slot around the middle of the backplate is directly under the whammy; if you look in there you're looking at the bottom of the hex bar.

I believe it was originally designed this way so you could actually insert the hex bar in from behind and use it as a kind of hip-bender, so to speak, never really caught on...

But you could try gently tapping it out using a hole punch or big fat nail and a hammer etc

Good luck!

B.S.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:42:54 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:33:49 PM »
I've gotten them stuck pretty good when adjusting the 'bend' for a tighter fit.

Push the bar out from the back. Taking the back cover off can help you see whats going on, but there is an access hole in the cover.