Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Fabricating Fly Parts  (Read 2715 times)

Online billy

Re: Fabricating Fly Parts
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
Cool!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »
He s out of the country right now. So once he gets back we will talk.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Online billy

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
ok!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Alright alright alright! Buddy one fell through buddy two came through. He will be taking my guitar and parts and making measurements on everything. Vibrato spring assembly (T-bar, screw, front spring with step stop, and wheel) trem arms, and lastly bridge. The Bridge is the only thing he says may not be able to be done. He MAY, be able to make some non-piezo saddles. So I'f anyone has a pre-refined saddle I could borrow for measurements I would love that. For some reason they were my fav saddles.

Coating everything black won't happen, but as far as precision goes the parts mentioned shoulnd't be too hard.

Online billy

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »
that's pretty cool! 

FYI The bridge is cast and then secondary machined for tapped holes, flash removal, etc.  It could all be machined with CNC, but lots of time and $$ that way.  Casting wouldn't be cheap either unless you knew you were making a bunch of them to help amortize the cost of the tooling.

The big hitter I think would be the pre-refined trem bushing.  I know some people like the hex, but a round hole wouldn't be a bad way to go either, since you could use off the shelf bars that way.

Let me know if I can help somehow.
Billy

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 08:05:34 PM »
Oooo a metal trem bushing instead of plastic! I know the bridge was cast. This buddy of mine is of the school if he can't make it he will find a way. He is secondly retired, so he has tons of time and has asked a few times if I have any projects for him!

I will email you to keep this thread down, besides I think you and I are the only ones looking at it

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
Billy and I know of some other Parker parts thatay find the light of day here very soon. Wiguitar still has bridges for most of the different variations. I even got a hard tail one from him not too long ago.

Offline vjmanzo

• vjmanzo.com
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
ZemanG2 and I recently discussed some steps working toward this goal, and, in a few weeks, I’m going to be working with some of my students on modeling and, potentially, fabricating Fly parts (pre-refined and early refined only for now). We'll start with the smaller parts that are difficult/impossible to find and work our way up; perhaps some of these parts can even be 3D printed.

Using this master part list as a reference (as mentioned in this thread, below is what I don’t have but would like to model:

-Step-stop for refined Fly
-Three-ridge spring plate contact point
-Tremolo arm bushing for pre-refined Fly
-stereo switch housing and button
-any internal screws (hex or other types)
-any internal mounts or parts secured to the body

All other parts (according to that spreadsheet) I do have and will try to 3D scan and explore potential and reasonable options for cloning. If you do have any of these parts and you can live without them for a few months, would you please PM me? Again, the goal here (between the spreadsheet and this effort) is to have a record of all fly parts and explore some potential options for making replacements for parts that are hard to come by and no longer exist in the second-hand market.

Also, if there are parts (or variations of parts) I haven’t accounted for on that sheet, please let me know!

Fly Mojo (2005)
Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007)
Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008)
Fly Concert (1997)
Fly Classic (2003)
Fly Deluxe (1997)