Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lookie - There's a FLY amplifier!  (Read 757 times)

Offline sybersitizen

Lookie - There's a FLY amplifier!
« on: October 28, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
It's drawing a lot of positive reviews:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blackstar+fly+amplifier

I just ordered one; will report specifics after it arrives.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Re: Lookie - There's a FLY amplifier!

Offline sybersitizen

Re: Lookie - There's a FLY amplifier!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 02:18:52 PM »
I've now put the Blackstar FLY 3 amp through its paces, specifically comparing it to my original Roland MicroCube. The MicroCube wins in every important way.

Tone: The FLY tone is quite limited, and that applies throughout the range from clean to highly distorted. It lacks bass and sounds 'harsh'. This is not only due to its smaller speaker; it's also true when the signal is sent to headphones or an external full range amp. Also, I don't really like the way the tone control electronics work; the knob moves you from a 'bright' 'American' tone on the left to a 'darker' 'British' tone on the right. The MC wins this contest easily with six different amp models and a normal tone control.

Effects: The FLY has only one effect - delay - and it's actually pretty good. I would say that it's also possible to be satisfied with that one effect because it can be adjusted to sort of double as reverb. However, the MC has delay/reverb and four other effects. Hard for the FLY to compete with that, so the MC wins again.

Power: Both use six AA batteries or external power. Although the MC specs say 2 watts and the FLY specs say 3 watts, the MC puts out more volume. Can't say how each compares in terms of battery life.

Other features: Some niceties found with the MC but not with the FLY are a built in tuner, a carrying strap, and an included AC adapter.

Price: Both can be picked up used on eBay, with the MC typically fetching around $25 more.

Other than price, I think the only place where the FLY 3 actually wins is in weight and bulk; it's way tinier than the MC.

Well, and there's the name, which is cool. Sadly, aside from the name, I don't consider the FLY 3 a very good match for my guitars.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 05:21:46 PM by sybersitizen »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers