Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally my MaxxFly 7 is coming Monday!  (Read 887 times)

Offline joedreamliner787

Finally my MaxxFly 7 is coming Monday!
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:45:33 AM »
Hi everyone!
           As you know I had a couple of 98 fly deluxe's and I had installed the midi system in my old 98 fly. It will be very easy to add midi to this beauty! I have a Caparison Tat Special 7 with a custom Aztec paint job and it's a killer guitar but then I got the Parker itch...If you love Parkers you know what I am talking about lol.
I happen to hop on Reverb and type in Parker 7 and to my surprise 1 was on there. I snatched it up and it's due to arrive this Monday! Once I went to 7 string I just can't play a six.. It's Emerald Green with a very minor scratch near the bridge.

Here is the link to where I purchased it from. Enjoy and all comments and questions are welcomed!

https://reverb.com/item/2835994-parker-maxxfly-7-owned-by-misha-mansoor

Re: Finally my MaxxFly 7 is coming Monday!

Offline Noodler

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
And here's a video of Misha playing a Fly into an HK amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ378NF6q8U

For those Fly fans in the know, take a look at what's on top of the amp.  ;)

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
Good for you. I sent Misha a message a couple years back asking if i could buy this guitar from him because he wasn't using it. Never got a reply, LOL. Glad to it's finally going to someone who'll enjoy it!

Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
Thanks everyone and I hope you all are having a great weekend!

Just for fun here are pictures of Caparison Tat Special 7 with a custom airbrush job.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »
That is some nice airbrush work!
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline VagabondJack

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »
beautiful guitar

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »
Pretty interesting

I'm wondering what that slanted pup sounds like, also playability of the high frets

And your thoughts on the powerball. I've got an engl gigmaster head, there's an engl snarl I haven't heard elsewhere
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
Pretty interesting

I'm wondering what that slanted pup sounds like, also playability of the high frets

And your thoughts on the powerball. I've got an engl gigmaster head, there's an engl snarl I haven't heard elsewhere

The stock pickups caparison makes are truly amazing. They are crystal clear. None of the notes sound mushy in unison bends etc. The slanted pickup has no bearing on sound quality from what I can hear. The playability of the high frets are 100% functional. Caparison did a great job making sure you can access the high frets.

I had an English gigmaster and what a POS that thing is. I wanted it for portability and I returned it the next day. The metal master has the same problem. The Powerball II is a work horse and sounds incredible. I have a powered Kemper profiler. I took a snapshot of Engl and holy crap it sounds identical it stole the soul of my amp. I paired it with a evh single 1x12 cabinet and let me tell you the sound is amazing. You can bring them both anywhere. I also use the Kemper for recording into a scarlet 2i2 stereo and I use a licensed version of reaper for my DAW. I also have a loaded profile for egnater vengeance. I would seriously look into a Kemper powered profiler. Expensive but worth every penny.

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. Not sure I appreciate the pos reference without more specific info on what you didn't like.   

I happen to really like my gigmaster. I don't gig anymore but it fits most of my needs for playing at home or jamming with friends. I'm sure the ironball is a great head, but for me a higher wattage amp would be too much most of the time.

Best wishes on your health issues.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 01:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. Not sure I appreciate the pos reference without more specific info on what you didn't like.   

I happen to really like my gigmaster. I don't gig anymore but it fits most of my needs for playing at home or jamming with friends. I'm sure the ironball is a great head, but for me a higher wattage amp would be too much most of the time.

Best wishes on your health issues.

Thank you for the warm wishes! As for the Engl I had the gif master 30 and immediately noticed the clean headroom was limited. No matter which guitar on the lead channel I used I could not dial in a crystal clear clear lead sound. It sounded like a cheap distortion pedal. For me it was not worth the 950.00 price tag. Engl normally males incredible amps and I was surprised. My Powerball II is incredible and I will be getting an ENGL E670. One of my favorite amps that I own is the egnater renegade. Being able to mix el34 and 6l6 is incredible. The voicing is very unique and you should check it out if have not already.

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
you bet, we don't have anything if we don't have our health.  Hope you get to a full recovery soon!

As for the engl, I have the 15W version, not sure how it compares to the 30w, but find it hard to believe they would sound the same with the differences in number of tubes. 

I agree with your comments about the clean, but I actually like my "clean" with a little bit of dirt in it. 

The distortion is much improved by swapping the tube, though I forget what I changed it to atm. 

I am more of a rock player than metal, so I don't usually crank the gain either.  I've also found that the speaker/cabinet makes a huge difference with the lower wattage amps. 

This one, to me, sounds best paired with a 2x12 with speakers that aren't V30s.  At that point though, things are pretty subjective so whatever floats your boat.  I will check out the powerball and kemper though when I get a chance!  The bias head looks promising too- I have the ipad app and although it doesn't blow me away, it is pretty great for late night practicing.

sorry to pull things off topic, but I haven't seen many engl players in my circle.
Billy

Offline joedreamliner787

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
Hi thank you very much I am in my last cycle and in about a month I will be fully recovered and back to running electrical/fire alarm contracting business. I'm very fortunate to have a few incredible guys working for me that have keep the business running for me and they are getting a big Xmas bonus plus a raise. Without my guys the business would tank. I always believed if you pay your employees really well they have respect for the business and only make the reputation of the business become evident to the client through up most professionalism. It's also really nice see my guys come to work at 7 a.m. but smiles on their face I also keep in mind these guys have families if they need to support and there been times where I could take a little out of my own draw to pay for my guys while enforcing payment on contracts etc..

Anyhow back to music!
Did you use JJ electric tubes? I did connect my little Engl to my
Evh 5150III 4x12 can and even the 1x12. Though the sound quality did increase I wanted a simple combo good right out of the box. Then I bought a Kemper and took some awesome profiles of my Engl  Powerball II. I also have some amp profiles of the Savage and the Engl special edition. Should you pick up the Kemper let me know and I will personally email you some great profiles you might really enjoy. So currently I lug the Kemper profiler and the evh 5150 III 1x12. In my opinion I love the all 3/4 birch constructed cab that 5150 1x12 packs a very nice low and sings through the mids. I use it for practice and my buds always seem to want to borrow it. I must have spent 4 hours at a local guitar center going through cans from Orange, marshal etc and the evh gave me what I was looking for through a wide variety of tones and with different amps. By the way I bought my powered Kemper head scratch and dent on musicians friend for the same price of a non powered head and only thing wrong with it was the browse potentiometer was broken off a plastic d shaft. I replaced the shaft only and viola I saved myself 600 bucks with an 8.00 part  :) sure I have to money to pay full price but why? Also you go to kempers website and look at the classified forums or even reverb and you can score good deals. Some people sell their Kemper o buy an axe fx II. Personally the ax fx is nice but it's not a kemper. I sent mine back within a week. You will find major biased review on YouTube and it really comes down to preference. Personal link Kemper sounds much closer to a real tube in that you took a snapshot of I still hear that digital sound coming from an axe fx. The profiling is a very simple process by using sm57 off of my evh 412 cab. Some people like to put all of their controls on their amp to the mid position but for me I like the sound that I hear I adjust the amp two different guitars that I have because of different pickups Exedra you know how that works so what I do is I just made a profile snapshot with the guitar with the settings I like and named it with the pickup selections even though the Kemper can mimick the switch position with one profile I like to capture the true tone as I heard it this way I make very little mods in the Kemper. Also I can't complain about all the effects Kemper has built in! I hope you have chance to try one soon! Oh here's a little tip sometimes I go on the Guitar Center and they have that little soundproof room where they keep all their expensive amps I always bring my temper with me they're like what's that most people don't know for some reason and I said my Kemper and I'm checking out cabs what I actually do I steal the soul from their amps  :) okay so I don't actually steal it what I do is I talk to the manager and tell him what I'm doing and I tell him that I'll buy $150 worth of gear if he lets me record the sound of those into my kemper they always happily agree. Some watch the process and are pretty amazed on how good it actually sounds and I keep telling maybe you guys should carry these things in stock to the right musicians you will sell them!

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
...I actually do I steal the soul from their amps  :) okay so I don't actually steal it what I do is I talk to the manager and tell him what I'm doing and I tell him that I'll buy $150 worth of gear if he lets me record the sound of those into my kemper they always happily agree.

I think that is brilliant ! To get an amp sound loaded on your Kemper from something at GC.  Probably a win-win situation for you and GC since you are buying stuff too.  I've only tried the Kemper once at the LA amp show, and I have to admit I was impressed by the tones and the feel.  I've been a die-hard tube amp enthusiast since the early 90's, but I have to admit the Kemper technology is brilliant.
'96 Fly Classic, Cherry Red          '09 Artist, Custom Hard Tail          MIJ Strat           PRS Custom 22  
Mesa Amps (Express5:25, MarkV:25, Nomad45, DC-5)

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Generally not a fan of JJ, at least 12ax7.  The EL84s they make are ok but I find the 12ax7s they make to be a little stiff/harsh.  If I remember correctly, I probably used a ruby tube that tested well as part of a matched pair (but the other broke).

Great notes on the kemper. 

When I first read about how it worked, it seemed a little bit like the way synth companies used to use sampled piano sounds, ie a low note mapped across a range, a mid pitch note w/same, and high note mapped similarly.  Made me skeptical about kemper since I could usually detect where the samples were starting to "over-reach" their ranges, and a homogeneous sense of overtones within those ranges.  But pretty sure that whole thing is much improved these days- likely a bit of modelling mixed in with the sampling approach.  Can't really beat something like that for portability.  Definitely interested to check one out, and the axe-fx as well.

Love that you were able to repair the scratch and dent one- I think I live for that kind of thing sometimes.

Dying to try some of the newer EVH stuff too, and in general also love 3/4" birch cabs.

I tend to stay out of guitar shops these days though, my liquid $$ are tied up in other things like starting my own biz, orthodontics for the kids, etc.  Pretty sure if I try any of these things, bias head, kemper, axe, evh, I'll want to buy one.  Of each.  :)
Billy