Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My PArker NITEFly works without BATTERY. Piezo,Electric, both. I don't know how  (Read 1751 times)

Offline alber.t

Hello everyone.

I have a MIDIFLY parker that was bought second hand many years ago. The guitar did not have the midi because it had been modified. However, the guitar can sound without 9v BATTERY. Electric, piezo, or mix both. Does anyone know how it is possible? I have other PARKERS and everyone needs batteries.

Re: My PArker NITEFly works without BATTERY. Piezo,Electric, both. I don't know how

Offline sybersitizen

The guitar did not have the midi because it had been modified.

The MIDIFly was provided with an external MIDI power supply/junction box. I think you would need that external device for the MIDI to work.

However, the guitar can sound without 9v BATTERY. Electric, piezo, or mix both.

Are you sure there's no difference at all when a battery is installed?

Do you have the manual ...?

http://www.parkerguitars.com/support/manuals/MIDIFLY_MANUAL.pdf
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Re: My PArker NITEFly works without BATTERY. Piezo,Electric, both. I don't know how

Offline alber.t

Any diference my friend. I use my Kemper and a sennheiser HD 800 to check this. It's very strange but it's cool. I would like to do the same with another nitefly but I think it is difficult. There are wiring with the old midifly plates.

Very thanks for your answer.

Offline alber.t

I've been testing other mahogany nitefly and the one that does not use batteries sounds better. She sounds warmer and organic. I don't know how they got it but I want to know how.

Offline jb63

Pictures!
Open up the cavity and take some pics of the wiring. If it was a midifly, and now it's just a nitefly, then there should be a lot of room inside. If the piezo works with no battery... hm. There was a passive fish an piezo wasn't there? I seem to remember a thread about that.

Offline neilderemer

Only ones I know of are the Old (pre button type), the button type (piezeo on / off), and the smart jack type that is buttonless. Never heard of one that didn't take a battery.

Offline billy

I think you can wire piezos passively (no preamp) but you need a high impedance pot. Might sound a little weird though.

Failing that, someone may have wired so they could go into an outboard preamp.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline resettheconsole

I have my passive Nitefly wired in mono. To clear any confusion, yes there were Niteflys made with piezo without batteries. They were wired stereo-only, and were sold with an external preamp, the "NiteMix" to blend the signals, if desired.

I have the magnetic pickups AND the piezo wired to the tip of the output jack, for mono operation. When used alone, either set of pickups sounds as it should, full range. When blended, there is a bit of signal loss due to the impedance mismatch. It sounds similar to having two magnetic pickups wired out of phase. Perfectly usable, but definitely don't get the full range of both pickups.

It also makes the volume controls act silly (only when running both pickup sets), but that's mainly because I'm too lazy to re-invent the wheel. Works well enough to not bother fiddling further.

If I had to guess, this is likely how alber.t's Nitefly is set up.

Offline alber.t

Thank you very much for the answers to all. "resettheconsole" I agree with you. I want to add some photography but I do not know how to do it.