Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any thoughts on using master vs. magnetic volume for gain control?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline jpb000

Hello everyone,

I've had a Parker Concert I've played for years, and have recently gotten a '95 hardtail (finally!) in pristine condition. As someone who's primarily used Telecasters and the like for many years, I'm still experimenting with the controls and the best way to utilize all the great features and tones available.

I'm primarily a guitar-into-amp person, and don't use too many pedals. I usually work the guitar's volume and tone to control my gain and volume throughout a gig.

I've been getting used to the Fly, and I'm wondering if anybody has opinions on how to use the master volume vs. magnetic volume on their pre-refined Fly's to vary their gain tones throughout a gig. They do seem to react differently from one another, which I assume is a function of how the electronics are set up.

I'm still experimenting with what works best for me, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

Best,
JP

Re: Any thoughts on using master vs. magnetic volume for gain control?

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:36 AM »
Hmmmm....

Well, i've been playing my '94 Deluxe for around 22 years now (since '94 in fact!), and i gotta admit, i've never thought of using the mag vol as opposed to the master, just always used the master.

However, looking at the circuit digram/ribon layout, the magnetic vol is pre pre-amp and master vol is mid pre-amp, i.e. the mixed signal is fed out of the pre to the master, then back in to the pre, as far as i can see.

Given the different positions in the circuit of the two vols, it could be possible that there is slight variation in tone between them, which i guess would be down to how much level the pre-amp is initially given from the mag pups.

Now, i haven't noticed any difference in master/mag vol control, but i've never really paid close attention.

Here's a link to one of the circuit diagrams drifting around, i suggest downloading it for future reference.

http://jmstaehli.com/images/guitars/Parker%20Fly%20Schematic.pdf

However, i've just used the master as it's easier to get to when playing, and have never found it to be lacking.

Can you describe what differences you hear/feel?

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
I like using the master because there is NO tonal variation.  It's also easy (too easy?) to grab and turn.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline jpb000

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
I like using the master because there is NO tonal variation.  It's also easy (too easy?) to grab and turn.

Patzag, I agree! I know some have noted that the master is in the way a bit, but I think it's actually perfect, much easier to do swells and the like, and the original posts are very smooth. I like it, a lot...

Offline jpb000

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
Hmmmm....

Well, i've been playing my '94 Deluxe for around 22 years now (since '94 in fact!), and i gotta admit, i've never thought of using the mag vol as opposed to the master, just always used the master.

However, looking at the circuit digram/ribon layout, the magnetic vol is pre pre-amp and master vol is mid pre-amp, i.e. the mixed signal is fed out of the pre to the master, then back in to the pre, as far as i can see.

Given the different positions in the circuit of the two vols, it could be possible that there is slight variation in tone between them, which i guess would be down to how much level the pre-amp is initially given from the mag pups.

Now, i haven't noticed any difference in master/mag vol control, but i've never really paid close attention.

Here's a link to one of the circuit diagrams drifting around, i suggest downloading it for future reference.

http://jmstaehli.com/images/guitars/Parker%20Fly%20Schematic.pdf

However, i've just used the master as it's easier to get to when playing, and have never found it to be lacking.

Can you describe what differences you hear/feel?

B.S.

B.S.,

In terms of differences, I'd say the master volume has a longer taper off, where the magnetic volume pot has a quicker drop. Also, the master volume seems relatively independent of the tone control, whereas the magnetic and tone kind of work together ... It seems as I drop the magnetic volume I need to turn up the tone or my volume loss is too high.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »
good discussion.

:)